Game Discussions Whats the buggiest game you ever played ?.

Consoles have to have tighter QA but PC are easier to update with day one patch

The day one patch is industry standard now, products release broken and then get fixed on the fly. Some people say it was better in ye olden days when it had to work straight from the disk, but things just stayed broken then to be honest. Unless you shoplifted the right disk from the front of a games magazine and it had the correct patch.

Hotfixing is better.

The day one patch is industry standard now, products release broken and then get fixed on the fly. Some people say it was better in ye olden days when it had to work straight from the disk, but things just stayed broken then to be honest. Unless you shoplifted the right disk from the front of a games magazine and it had the correct patch.

Hotfixing is better.
This is what steam is supposed to provide a patching service.

Battlecruiser 3000AD in 1996. I went to hell and back to get it installed. Only parts of the game actually worked. The graphics looked like s**t on my 66MHz Pentium with S3 Vision graphics card. I took it back to the shop the next day and to my surprise got a full refund.

A year later I got Frontier: First Encounters. That wasn't a smooth experience either but not as bad as BC3K. At least the game would run and I could start playing. After the patch FFE improved a lot for me though my PC wasn't fast enough to enable all graphics features.

Battlecruiser 3000AD in 1996. I went to hell and back to get it installed. Only parts of the game actually worked. The graphics looked like s**t on my 66MHz Pentium with S3 Vision graphics card. I took it back to the shop the next day and to my surprise got a full refund.

A year later I got Frontier: First Encounters. That wasn't a smooth experience either but not as bad as BC3K. At least the game would run and I could start playing. After the patch FFE improved a lot for me though my PC wasn't fast enough to enable all graphics features.

BC3K had the glimmers of an absolutely great game but the publishers shoved it out early and knackered so the bloke who wrote it sued them for loads of cash. Nowadays it wouldn't have happened since patching could have been done on it post release.

Some of the hoops you had to jump through to get story arcs to work on the X games haunt me to this day.....and I LOVE the X Series (minus Rebirth)

Wow, yeah they are bad for bugs but good games. I had the X3TC capture the ship with your HQ in it mission spawn a split elephant that could outrun everything I'd been given for the mission. I had to revert to an older save, it was pathetic watching my poor marines trying to chase it round the sector in spacesuits.

BC3K had the glimmers of an absolutely great game but the publishers shoved it out early and knackered so the bloke who wrote it sued them for loads of cash. Nowadays it wouldn't have happened since patching could have been done on it post release.
Yeah I remember. Derek Smart entertained me more with his epic flame wars on usenet than with his game. Btw wasn't the publisher Take 2 Interactive? And didn't they do the same (premature release) to FFE? I think David Braben sued them also.

Erm, First Encounters (from Frontier) had a few biggies, including a signed bit in the credits variable. Once you went a bit over 32Mcr it went negative, so apparently you OWED 32Mcr!!!
The figure is actually around 214 million credits (can't remember the exact number). My Commander has that much money in his account so any time I get close to the limit I visit one of the charity ads on the bulletin board and chuck a load of cash at them. It protects my credit figure and make me feel generous and caring :p

EDIT: Found it! The most money you can have in FFE is 214,748,364.7 Cr

Last edited:
Yeah I remember. Derek Smart entertained me more with his epic flame wars on usenet than with his game. Btw wasn't the publisher Take 2 Interactive? And didn't they do the same (premature release) to FFE? I think David Braben sued them also.

Yep they paid Derek off and gave him ownership of the rights to the game after he sued them. He released a patched version (for no charge free download) that was apparently a lot of the things he'd intended 65% on metacritic though I never tried it.

I just googled FFE they had gametek as a publisher who apparently in a very similar way chucked it out unfinished as they were short of cash. Braben sued and they settled out of court but he got the rights obviously which shows you who won.

Funny old world.

I've played through Fallout 4 in VR without save breaking bugs in survivalist. Predictable crashes when moving stuff from workshop to inventory, otherwise an excellent vr game. It's not a saas. Like Skyrim, the strongest point comes from the modding community. They may have even a community patch for your issues.

Buggiest game I went thru was probably Arcanum. Glorious game tho, and it had a community patch as well.

I've played through Fallout 4 in VR without save breaking bugs in survivalist. Predictable crashes when moving stuff from workshop to inventory, otherwise an excellent vr game. It's not a saas. Like Skyrim, the strongest point comes from the modding community. They may have even a community patch for your issues.

Buggiest game I went thru was probably Arcanum. Glorious game tho, and it had a community patch as well.

Already fixed it, with community made mods (y). I was trying for a 'clean' playthrough I have no actual objection to mods.

The crashes were the issue for me as you can only save on a bed and have no fast travel in survival, so they meant losing progress. The worst regular crashes I was getting were mouse acceleration related, I disabled it in the ini file and stopped those. Automatron was causing other issues with crashes/lighting bugs which have stopped now I've completed it.

You've popped along to the forum of a game where you seem to get angry at the people who like it purely because they like it. This is one place on the internet where you most likely to meet an ED fan, that's definitely comedy user error 🤡(y).

If you're happy to accept mediocrity then by all means continue playing ED. That's a comedy in itself. All i wish for is that FD pull their finger out for once and really go on a bug fixing exercise to at least get rid of some of the more glaring ones that have been around for years. I dread what Odyssey will be like when it drops, that's just an accident waiting to happen. Until then i'll wait playing the game as for me, too many issues in it to make it enjoyable anymore.

If you're happy to accept mediocrity then by all means continue playing ED. That's a comedy in itself. All i wish for is that FD pull their finger out for once and really go on a bug fixing exercise to at least get rid of some of the more glaring ones that have been around for years. I dread what Odyssey will be like when it drops, that's just an accident waiting to happen. Until then i'll wait playing the game as for me, too many issues in it to make it enjoyable anymore.

I don't get upset about video games. Not even the buggy ones, I just find workarounds or move on. Plenty of fish in the sea.

Not that you need to for ED its one of the stablest AAA games ever made.

Some Pacific theatre strategy sim that had tactical battles. It would reliably ruin the savegame mid-campaign and crash unrecoverably. Lost many hours - the game was a bit like TW but with ships and planes

Easy...Frontier:First Encounters released in April 1995 the most bugged game. It was about a 32 bit DOS game and GameTek in Florida wanted a pay day and couldn't wait.They ended up going out of business. Meanwhile me and maybe another hundred players re-engineered the game to get it to work because we had access to the coding. Nor did we ever get paid from Frontier being their free technical support using Modems across the world to help players.

2020 the Frontier Devs are still trying to get everything working. How history often repeats the past.

Regards

Last edited:
Easy...Frontier:First Encounters released in April 1995 the most bugged game. It was about a 32 bit DOS game and GameTek in Florida wanted a pay day and couldn't wait.They ended up going out of business. Meanwhile me and maybe another hundred players re-engineered the game to get it to work because we had access to the coding. Nor did we ever get paid from Frontier being their free technical support using Modems across the world to help players.

2020 the Frontier Devs are still trying to get everything working. How history often repeats the past.

Regards

I can't see any actual similarities, other than with the BC3K dodgy publisher situation.

Given they were in the middle of legal action with the publisher at that specific time about that specific game they were probably legally forbidden from working on it until settlement was reached which may have specified what happened to the game moving forward. You having access to the code shows it was probably abandonware as a result of the legal action.

If you want to be paid for something the trick is to not just do it for free in the first place.

I think my brain blocked off the buggiest game I ever experienced. I am sure I had such an experience but I could not recall what game it is at all.

I recall trying out Sonic 2006 at a friends place and I did not even bother purchasing the game because of it, it is not even a finished product in my eyes. Maneater was a very recent one, it is a fun shark game like Jaws Unleashed, but it was definitely bugged on launch day. I had sharks and Orcas fling out of existence, random explosions, and the game crashed the moment I have defeated the final boss, preventing me from seeing the final cutscene of the game with no way for me to redo that scene unless I redo the entire game, making it a very anticlimactic end for a B-movie like shark game. .

I think my brain blocked off the buggiest game I ever experienced. I am sure I had such an experience but I could not recall what game it is at all.

I recall trying out Sonic 2006 at a friends place and I did not even bother purchasing the game because of it, it is not even a finished product in my eyes. Maneater was a very recent one, it is a fun shark game like Jaws Unleashed, but it was definitely bugged on launch day. I had sharks and Orcas fling out of existence, random explosions, and the game crashed the moment I have defeated the final boss, preventing me from seeing the final cutscene of the game with no way for me to redo that scene unless I redo the entire game, making it a very anticlimactic end for a B-movie like shark game. .

You just reminded me of trespasser for some reason, now that was an awful game. Probably the B-movie reference.

Top Bottom