Game Discussions Whats the buggiest game you ever played ?.

You just reminded me of trespasser for some reason, now that was an awful game. Probably the B-movie reference.
I have heard the stories of that game. I love the concept of it all and it was a very ambitious game, the execution was not the best however, and does not hold up much at all.
God, remember how old licence games were really buggy? It was when games were just a product and made quick to meet a deadline. I am really glad things have changed in the modern gaming market when it comes to adapting IPs.

I think my brain blocked off the buggiest game I ever experienced. I am sure I had such an experience but I could not recall what game it is at all.
I tend too forget these as well. Bugs in games I like, too. I remember the title now: Pacific Storm. The reason I remember that is that I got really annoyed for it crashing so far into campaigns. That was likely due to the increased frequency of battles and OOB database shenanigans - up to that point you'd beuild up your defenses and ships and train and all - who wouldn't want to see how that all paid off.

I tend too forget these as well. Bugs in games I like, too. I remember the title now: Pacific Storm. The reason I remember that is that I got really annoyed for it crashing so far into campaigns. That was likely due to the increased frequency of battles and OOB database shenanigans - up to that point you'd beuild up your defenses and ships and train and all - who wouldn't want to see how that all paid off.
That’s also a reason why nostalgia is like a one way street. Sometimes a game is so good beyond bugs, but it aged up a bit once you have came back to it years later. Like "This game was awesome! I do not know why people talk about this much" and you got your hands on said game, tried it out for a bit, and was like "How did I even manage this as a kid..."

Thinking about it, the simpsons hit and run may be such a game for me. I have great nostalgia for it but I am sure it is riddled with bugs if I wish to come back to it.

That’s also a reason why nostalgia is like a one way street. Sometimes a game is so good beyond bugs, but it aged up a bit once you have came back to it years later. Like "This game was awesome! I do not know why people talk about this much" and you got your hands on said game, tried it out for a bit, and was like "How did I even manage this as a kid..."

Thinking about it, the simpsons hit and run may be such a game for me. I have great nostalgia for it but I am sure it is riddled with bugs if I wish to come back to it.
Yes, I had MoO2 as measure for contemporary 4x games - played it last year again on DOSBox and can say it didn't age well. I think the main point I rejected all modern 4x games was the 3D combat - in comparison it lacks character, structure, controllability and there is signficantly less connection with the "builds" you make in the ship editor. I think turn-based is just better for that.
In 3D you have anonymous tiny models battling it out in fast forward pace and the choreography of the outcome calculation often doesn't cut it neither. Hence 4x have become more strategic level focused for me - but I miss that tactical part - that flag was taken up by CA with Total War.

MoO = Master of Orion

You just reminded me of trespasser for some reason, now that was an awful game. Probably the B-movie reference.
Now that was a game ahead of its time - as in, in 1998 it needed a computer from a few years into the future to run acceptably!

I played and finished it about 12 years ago and it had a lot of interesting ideas, like physics based puzzles that wouldn’t appear in other games until much later. It certainly had the most unique health bar ❤

It came back to my mind when people were complaining about Half Life: Alyx being VR only and how a flatscreen mod should be made - and I thought, “there is actually already a game that simulates motion-tracked controls using m&kb...it’s not great” :D

Now that was a game ahead of its time - as in, in 1998 it needed a computer from a few years into the future to run acceptably!

I played and finished it about 12 years ago and it had a lot of interesting ideas, like physics based puzzles that wouldn’t appear in other games until much later. It certainly had the most unique health bar ❤

It came back to my mind when people were complaining about Half Life: Alyx being VR only and how a flatscreen mod should be made - and I thought, “there is actually already a game that simulates motion-tracked controls using m&kb...it’s not great” :D

The health bar was particularly memorable. The special amazing hand physics were just comically overengineered though, they were trying for a fully immersive VR style in depth sim-hand but it was so overcomplicated it was just comical. You'd stand there rotating the wrist and elbow angles flailing around when you just wanted to "pick up stick". For the puzzles being able to rotate the item directly would have been better than alter wrist and elbow angle via random keys. Sometimes less is more.

Oddly you can quite easily do the things they were trying to do in trespasser in Fallout 4 by pressing use on an item so you pick it up and it hangs a set distance in front of you moving with the mouse so you can biff it into things. Or tip dead ghouls over the fence as they stink up your settlement.

I actually quite liked the overall feel of the game.

Last edited:
I actually quite liked the overall feel of the game.
I played it with a few mods and patches that fixed a few things and did the gamma trick that actually made the jungle look much more jungley, so I fairly enjoyed my time with the game - it’s got Luvvie Attenborough and Minnie Driver nattering away at you so it’s not that bad!

For such a maligned game, it was interesting to see what clever ideas it had in 1998 - two weapon limit before Halo popularised it, wide open levels before Farcry, and physics puzzles before Half Life 2. I really liked how ammo was accounted for - Minnie speaking out loud, “feels about half full” etc. I’ve only played one other game that did that, the King Kong movie game.

The game was a classic case of ambition outweighing execution :)

I played it with a few mods and patches that fixed a few things and did the gamma trick that actually made the jungle look much more jungley, so I fairly enjoyed my time with the game - it’s got Luvvie Attenborough and Minnie Driver nattering away at you so it’s not that bad!

For such a maligned game, it was interesting to see what clever ideas it had in 1998 - two weapon limit before Halo popularised it, wide open levels before Farcry, and physics puzzles before Half Life 2. I really liked how ammo was accounted for - Minnie speaking out loud, “feels about half full” etc. I’ve only played one other game that did that, the King Kong movie game.

The game was a classic case of ambition outweighing execution :)

I liked the "your left arm is broken" approach so no reloading and guns were just a one off thing. Not at all realistic since you can easily reload one handed by popping them on the floor and standing on them or gripping the barrel behind your knee. I think it was more that one sim-hand was already more than the game could handle.

A fantastic idea badly implemented.

I liked the "your left arm is broken" approach so no reloading and guns were just a one off thing. Not at all realistic since you can easily reload one handed by popping them on the floor and standing on them or gripping the barrel behind your knee. I think it was more that one sim-hand was already more than the game could handle.

A fantastic idea badly implemented.
Press + hold CTRL and move the mouse to rotate the arm whilst holding Shift to move the wrist, simultaneously holding Left and Right mouse buttons to hold the gun, press Tab to outstetch Minnie’s left leg then manoeuvre the weapon behind the knee and hold Tilde to grip it...and swear profusely as the dodgy physics makes Ms Driver faceplant the nearest rock.

They could’ve totally done QWOP ten years before that Foddy fella did :)

Press + hold CTRL and move the mouse to rotate the arm whilst holding Shift to move the wrist, simultaneously holding Left and Right mouse buttons to hold the gun, press Tab to outstetch Minnie’s left leg then manoeuvre the weapon behind the knee and hold Tilde to grip it...and swear profusely as the dodgy physics makes Ms Driver faceplant the nearest rock.

They could’ve totally done QWOP ten years before that Foddy fella did :)

You'd get to look at the "health bar" when you did it though.

They could have achieved the same rarity of firearms feeling by just really limiting ammo.

You'd get to look at the "health bar" when you did it though.

They could have achieved the same rarity of firearms feeling by just really limiting ammo.
I think they missed a trick there by not having MD make a comment if you spend too long checking your health level :D

Having reloading could’ve really made it more tense - especially if you go down the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. route of having specific ammo types. Combined with the 2 weapon limit, oof! However, I’d’ve probably ended up much like I did in the existing game when running out of ammo - pathetically waving the weapon at the always-angry raptor about 2 seconds before it de-gloved my head.

Back OT, I’ll submit Enter The Matrix as my personal bug-fest shudder memory. The car having square wheels just about said it all, really :)

I think they missed a trick there by not having MD make a comment if you spend too long checking your health level :D

Having reloading could’ve really made it more tense - especially if you go down the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. route of having specific ammo types. Combined with the 2 weapon limit, oof! However, I’d’ve probably ended up much like I did in the existing game when running out of ammo - pathetically waving the weapon at the always-angry raptor about 2 seconds before it de-gloved my head.

Back OT, I’ll submit Enter The Matrix as my personal bug-fest shudder memory. The car having square wheels just about said it all, really :)

They'd have gone with awkwardly insert one round at a time into the mag by pressing as many keys as you can in one blow with your forehead.

They'd have gone with awkwardly insert one round at a time into the mag by pressing as many keys as you can in one blow with your forehead.
I tried that ARMA mod where you had to recharge individual magazines via a wheel type menu...we named it the roulette wheel of death. The mod also had a variety of complex medical options...like epinephrine pens, bandages, morphine injections...all done throught the same wheel of death. Needless to say, if you were wounded and relied on a medic faffing about in the roulette wheel after checking your vital signs to see what was actually wrong with you...you died just as quickly as trying to recharge a magazine in the middle of a firefight.

I died more than once once because the pure eejit we had playing as our medic overdosed me with morphine...

"But I thought you had to double click on it to get it to work..."

"Yes...but not 14 times..."

Last edited:
I tried that ARMA mod where you had to recharge individual magazines via a wheel type menu...we named it the roulette wheel of death. The mod also had a variety of complex medical options...like epinephrine pens, bandages, morphine injections...all done throught the same wheel of death. Needless to say, if you were wounded and relied on a medic faffing about in the roulette wheel after checking your vital signs to see what was actually wrong with you...you died just as quickly as trying to recharge a magazine in the middle of a firefight.

I died more than once once because the pure eejit we had playing as our medic overdosed me with morphine...

"But I thought you had to double click on it to get it to work..."

"Yes...but not 14 times..."
I liked the idea of Arma, but the UI is really something to make you stop playing. Add some lag and it becomes awful.

Already fixed it, with community made mods (y). I was trying for a 'clean' playthrough I have no actual objection to mods.

The crashes were the issue for me as you can only save on a bed and have no fast travel in survival, so they meant losing progress. The worst regular crashes I was getting were mouse acceleration related, I disabled it in the ini file and stopped those. Automatron was causing other issues with crashes/lighting bugs which have stopped now I've completed it.

If that's what's stopping you, you can still have the Steam achievements with the mod to get achievements. Some UI/optimization mods are mandatory for Fallout 4, I think about the better item sorter, without altering vanilla survivalist. Couldnt have finished the game without that. Also, nipples.

If that's what's stopping you, you can still have the Steam achievements with the mod to get achievements. Some UI/optimization mods are mandatory for Fallout 4, I think about the better item sorter, without altering vanilla survivalist. Couldnt have finished the game without that. Also, nipples.

Don't care about achievements, I just usually like to beat a game before I start modding the bejeezus out of it.

I've now got a survival options mod a companion infinite ammo mod (bit of a cheat but I'm too lazy to check and resupply companions) and a console enabler (second one I tried first one was crashtastic don't use simple survival console, use SKK console instead as its stable). The best bit about the console enabler is you can plonk down your guard posts and gate, turn off clipping (TCL) and overlap the fence/wall pieces between them so you actually end up with a functional gap free barricade, it actually stops enemies glitching through and your settlers man the guard posts rather than glitch out.

Standard nipples for me, even on the molerats.

The only issues I've ever had with ED were disconnects which were down to my rural internet 🤷‍♀️.Never had a single game breaker in it whatsoever in five years, which is pretty amazing TBH.

I put ED on because of all the problems with nav lock and wings. More networking issues I constantly noticed with wings, multicrew and especially the nav lock. I know its p2p but they still sold me an mmo where I assumed I could group up and not have it be a pita.

I expect some minor teething issues in any new software. On the other hand Bethesda's stuff just seems to stay broken in perpetuity, so it could be a lot worse.

The community always fixed Bethesda's games. Then they had the audacity to introduce paid mods lol! Fallout New Vegas was my last and will be my last Bethesda purchase untill Tod Howard is gone and the company changes itself.

Battlecruiser 3000AD in 1996. I went to hell and back to get it installed. Only parts of the game actually worked. The graphics looked like s**t on my 66MHz Pentium with S3 Vision graphics card. I took it back to the shop the next day and to my surprise got a full refund.

A year later I got Frontier: First Encounters. That wasn't a smooth experience either but not as bad as BC3K. At least the game would run and I could start playing. After the patch FFE improved a lot for me though my PC wasn't fast enough to enable all graphics features.

I feel your pain. My first pc experience as a kid using my step fathers computer someone who owed him money who went broke gave him to get him off his back. Neighborhood friends house I spent playing Doom, Wolf, Civ and etc. First game I went to buy was Doom and found out from neighboors older brother what minimum requirements were and only had 2mb out of needed 4. He actually gave me a 2mb stick to get me up and running, what a pal!

Yeah growing up as a kid in the early days of PC gaming was brutal 🤣. Still is everytime I need to do a new system overhaul.

Top Bottom