Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

Have people started listing their 'to do' flights?

I have a few in mind, and mostly these are places I've flown in and out of in real life rather than 'bucket list' locations. However videos like those that are cropping up now suggest that every flight has potential to be memorable, each in its own way. Happy days.

P.s. Am I alone in hoping for really rubbish weather for mid August?

Every single volcanic area on the planet.

Welcome to Volcanair, my new geo-tourism flight company. Soon to open branches all across the world, including northern cascade range in the US, Hawaii, Naples Italy, Sicily, Canary Islands, Greek Islands, Caribbean islands, Indonesia, Phillipines, Congo DR, Ethiopia, New Zealand northern island, Japan, Vanuatu archipelago, Andes range, and many other sulfurous, fiery locations.

We'll provide leisure flights around mother nature's most wondrous creations, using smaller airplanes for our customers to enjoy better sights and a more personalized experience.

In the future we might start using helicopters as well!

Last edited:

I have a few in mind, and mostly these are places I've flown in and out of in real life rather than 'bucket list' locations. However videos like those that are cropping up now suggest that every flight has potential to be memorable, each in its own way. Happy days.

P.s. Am I alone in hoping for really rubbish weather for mid August?

After I'll get up to speed and finish all the tutorials, I will start re-tracing my travels. Starting from my hometown, I will either set off to visit the Faroes first, or head straight to Moscow, Yekateringburg, Irkutsk (lake Baikal), Machuria and the rest of China, Japan, Oceania (NZ, Fiji, Cooks, French Polynesia - by that time I will need to learn to fly planes that can cover longer distances), then the Americas from California to Tierra del Fuego and the list goes on. :)

I will try to RP it in a way to avoid 'teleporting', play in real time* and weather and full simulation with the exception of aircraft management/checklist assists I guess.
*I might need to compromise on that otherwise I will mostly fly in the dark when I'm in Asia. :)

Every single volcanic area on the planet.

Welcome to Volcanair, my new geo-tourism flight company. Soon to open branches all across the world, including northern cascade range in the US, Hawaii, Naples Italy, Sicily, Canary Islands, Greek Islands, Caribbean islands, Indonesia, Phillipines, Congo DR, Ethiopia, New Zealand northern island, Japan, Vanuatu archipelago, Andes range, and many other sulfurous, fiery locations.

Will you fly to each location, or just start of from a nearby airport? :)
A 'tour de feu' around the Ring of Fire would be neat as well. :)

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
The trackIR with a proclip is less...twitchy... than the Tobii with FaceTracknoIR. I still have issues with mine being way too sensitive or have difficulty keeping it centred besides toggling it off...aside from that, I prefer the Tobii in all respects, especially the eyetracking when games support it.

I like TrackIR except all the cables hustle. I have searched but could not find a readily available commercial wireless trackIR. Is there something out there that works well wirelessly? (EDTracker has not worked very well for me, tons of drift).

Simple, no strings attached VFR flying over and around my city area. I have the "luck" (relative to flight simulation, at least 😅 ) of living in rather scenic area for low-mid altitude flight; Turin in northern Italy, surrounded by Langhe and Monferrato hills, a few km from the Alps and France, and less than an hour (a few minutes if flying jets) from Liguria and the seaside. My current FSX folder sits at 90 GB, I think at least a good half of that is just hi-res maps for northern Italy and my general area. Looks I might not need them anymore in the near future (hopefully).

I have a very strong feeling that MSFS will replace ED in my life as my "number one" flying game. A VERY strong feeling...

MSFS2020.jpg

Last edited:
Will start from the nearby airports (when possible), so I can use more "touristy" smaller airplanes.

A bit like this kind of service: https://www.go-etna.com/excursions/etna-helicopter-tour/ but with small airplanes (and helicopers when microsft adds them, depending on distance from airports).

Cool! In the video I posted above, there are fantastic shots of Mt Fuji in different settings. IRL I was 'there', unfortunately it was cloudy so I could not see it when I passed by with Shinkansen...

I like TrackIR except all the cables hustle. I have searched but could not find a readily available commercial wireless trackIR. Is there something out there that works well wirelessly? (EDTracker has not worked very well for me, tons of drift).
Just the Tobii 4C as far as I know...there may be others that I'm not aware of. The only bugbear I have with the Tobii eyetracker is that support for it is limited compared to Track-IR. For games and sims that don't support it natively, it requires a 3rd party app to emulate Track-IR for it to function as a head tracker.

I'm under the impression that the basic tracking clip (the one with just reflectors) does not need any cable, you just need to attach the clip with the reflectors to a hat or headset. Only the pro clip needs a cable AFAIK.

I'm under the impression that the basic tracking clip (the one with just reflectors) does not need any cable, you just need to attach the clip with the reflectors to a hat or headset. Only the pro clip needs a cable AFAIK.
It's the other way around...basic clip needs a cable and something like a hat with a peak to clip it to, the pro-clip clips onto the side of your headphones.

It's the other way around...basic clip needs a cable and something like a hat with a peak to clip it to, the pro-clip clips onto the side of your headphones.

I have the pro clip, which is a cabled/powered device, but it also came with a basic dumb reflector (metal frame with 3 reflective bands). Pretty sure the app lets you use either, and if you go with the reflector, there's no cabling involved, it just reflects the IR back to the sensor on top of your monitor.

Edit: just tested it, can confirm.

The 'basic' clip is just a frame with three reflective blobs. The pro clip is the one that has IR lights, and needs a cable. I've used the basic clip for years, and the only time I've ever had issues is when the sun is shining directly into the room when I'm using it, which isn't normally an issue due the cunning way I've aligned the house (realigning the Sun was an option, but I think the neighbours might have objected). ;)

The 'basic' clip is just a frame with three reflective blobs. The pro clip is the one that has IR lights, and needs a cable. I've used the basic clip for years, and the only time I've ever had issues is when the sun is shining directly into the room when I'm using it, which isn't normally an issue due the cunning way I've aligned the house (realigning the Sun was an option, but I think the neighbours might have objected). ;)

To be fair, with the Sun setting behind me, I can tell you that the powered device doesn't make a difference, it's completely unusable when it happens. Late afternoon is no-head-tracking-gaming time. Just played with the reflector now as I never bothered before and I'm actually impressed at how well it tracks. Will need to find a dumb baseball cap to actually try it in game now though.

Considering I have one...albeit not used for some time, I seem pretty dumb about Track-IR and pro-clip :D

I have a very strong feeling that MSFS will replace ED in my life as my "number one" flying game. A VERY strong feeling...

It absolutely will for me, but then I already am flying P3D more than Elite today.

Elite has gotten stale for me, and it's not progressing along the path I hoped it would. Odyssey will likely be heavily slanted towards first person combat which holds zero interest for me. I'm an explorer at heart, always have been, and while the possibility of exploration in Elite was always tantalizing FDev have not developed it with enough zeal. I've grown bored exploring in Elite, and frustrated by the FSS direction, and I honestly don't think it's a very big priority for them.

NOW, exploration in the new MS Flight Sim? Oh Frack Yeah!!! I doubt I'll buy another game this year because I'll be too busy with MFS.

It absolutely will for me, but then I already am flying P3D more than Elite today.

Elite has gotten stale for me, and it's not progressing along the path I hoped it would. Odyssey will likely be heavily slanted towards first person combat which holds zero interest for me. I'm an explorer at heart, always have been, and while the possibility of exploration in Elite was always tantalizing FDev have not developed it with enough zeal. I've grown bored exploring in Elite, and frustrated by the FSS direction, and I honestly don't think it's a very big priority for them.

NOW, exploration in the new MS Flight Sim? Oh Frack Yeah!!! I doubt I'll buy another game this year because I'll be too busy with MFS.

Very much the same regarding Elite, at this point I don't even care about it. Will follow the news, but remained on the forums only because of these discussions about other games.
My space combat fix will be covered by SW Squadrons, exploration/travelling by FS.

How are the official MS flight sim forums, is it worth checking in - literally? :)

Top Bottom