'Experimental' VR branch for Odyssey launch

Hello lovely devs!

Please consider releasing an experimental VR branch for Odyssey when the time comes. This could be made available through the current launcher.

Potentially it could allow for:
  • A very basic implementation of VR to be made available without officially launching in the VR marketplace.
  • Access to Odyssey flight & SRV content. [?]
  • Basic access to character content using the planned 'flatscreen' control schemes. [?]

Given community disappointment about the VR announcement I suspect there would be a lot of tolerance for 'basic' interim solutions to the character issue.
  • Possible basic solutions for character gameplay:
    • A projected flat screen (as seen in Minecraft VR, Touring Karts etc).
    • VR headlook + classic control schemes, for those who have their 'VR legs'.
    • The above, but with work done on aspects like guns & UI being attached to headlook.

Such a branch would keep a huge swathe of the existing VR community happy. It would placate the dedicated fans of EDVR who seek it out, while not appearing on the radar of customers seeking a fully realised VR product. (Ideally it could also operate as a genuine testbed for a fuller VR implementation down the line).

I would urge you to consider the possibility.

o7
Gol
I'm OK with FDev developing a VR version of the game, if, as with Bethesda's 'Skyrim' if you want the VR version then you pay for the VR version as a separate purchase not the normal flatscreen one that the majority on the Elite Dangerous players have, it takes valuable dev resources to develop VR games and that detracts from the development of the non VR game that most of us play!
So, yeah... if you want VR, pay for it.

Deleted member 121570

D
So when I bought my LEP based on an advert that said it was designed from the ground up for VR, and I was securing access to all future updates....didn't I already pay for it?
;)

So when I bought my LEP based on an advert that said it was designed from the ground up for VR, and I was securing access to all future updates....didn't I already pay for it?
;)
Did it?... then you might have to take that up with FDev's legal department, but,as far as I am aware the Kickstarter never mentioned that VR would be a thing... but I didn't really look that much I just bought the game when it came out... like many folks, but I did get upperty when the ADS was removed after four years

Deleted member 121570

D
Did it?... then you might have to take that up with FDev's legal department, but,as far as I am aware the Kickstarter never mentioned that VR would be a thing... but I didn't really look that much I just bought the game when it came out... like many folks, but I did get upperty when the ADS was removed after four years

LEP was available after kickstarter too, but yeah - I'm pretty sure it's not a legal thing at all what with EULAs etc. I don't care enough about it to bother anyway - was just making the point...

I already have paid for it. I've supported the same company you have, for the same game. I play in VR, and you don't. Same for many of us here. I get it.
Your Skyrim analogy is entirely flawed - it was released as a 2D game, and VR followed. ED's the other way around.

Your idea of a separate VR-only game that we'd need to rebuy is equally flawed. We've already invested in the development of this game, just the same as you have and anybody else who plays it. Ceasing ongoing support for a platform (eg. treating PCVR as a supported way of playing the game, as opposed to an in-game mechanism like the ADS) is something that VR players are entirely justified in feeling irritated about, and to propose solutions like in this thread.

What I find weird is you saying you're ok with VR dev if it's a separate game, as that's pretty much inferring that you're not ok with it if it's in this game. Given you've already benefited from the investment into this game made by VR players, and that you're advocating we be made to pay more to play a separate game - I'd suggest you're at best coming across as ungrateful and deluded, and at worst....well...I'm sure you can think up something ;)

Just like Microsoft Flight Simulator! Oh, wait.... :p

Now you of all people should know that its wrong to make assumptions based on your own argument, I neither stated nor implied that the cost would be extra, if I wish to use the PS4 version of the game I have to buy it, I don't pay extra unless I want PC and/or X-Box too

LEP was available after kickstarter too, but yeah - I'm pretty sure it's not a legal thing at all what with EULAs etc. I don't care enough about it to bother anyway - was just making the point...

I already have paid for it. I've supported the same company you have, for the same game. I play in VR, and you don't. Same for many of us here. I get it.
Your Skyrim analogy is entirely flawed - it was released as a 2D game, and VR followed. ED's the other way around.

Your idea of a separate VR-only game that we'd need to rebuy is equally flawed. We've already invested in the development of this game, just the same as you have and anybody else who plays it. Ceasing ongoing support for a platform (eg. treating PCVR as a supported way of playing the game, as opposed to an in-game mechanism like the ADS) is something that VR players are entirely justified in feeling irritated about, and to propose solutions like in this thread.

What I find weird is you saying you're ok with VR dev if it's a separate game, as that's pretty much inferring that you're not ok with it if it's in this game. Given you've already benefited from the investment into this game made by VR players, and that you're advocating we be made to pay more to play a separate game - I'd suggest you're at best coming across as ungrateful and deluded, and at worst....well...I'm sure you can think up something ;)
To be honest I'm a bit bored with it all, I simply can't understand why you think that the development costs and time involved to give you what you feel entitled to should be drawn from the same kitty of the game that most people play (flatscreen), that VR players are on the increase means nothing... and I feel that investing a great amount of resources to please only a handful of players is unjustified, and therefore a detriment to the furtherment of the game.

As an aside point does flying in VR give any advantage over flatscreen?... I've heard from several players of 'other games' that it does (like 3rd person gives a wider view point and an advantage over 1st person)

Deleted member 121570

D
To be honest I'm a bit bored with it all, I simply can't understand why you think that the development costs and time involved to give you what you feel entitled to should be drawn from the same kitty of the game that most people play (flatscreen), that VR players are on the increase means nothing... and I feel that investing a great amount of resources to please only a handful of players is unjustified, and therefore a detriment to the furtherment of the game.

As an aside point does flying in VR give any advantage over flatscreen?... I've heard from several players of 'other games' that it does (like 3rd person gives a wider view point and an advantage over 1st person)

Based on your position; I can't understand why anyone who's invested in the game so far and their own equipment should bother to spend any of their time and insight to enlighten you on your aside.

If you're that interested, I'd suggest you go buy a headset and find out for yourself. That'd contribute more to the furtherment of your experience and knowledge.

Based on your position; I can't understand why anyone who's invested in the game so far and their own equipment should bother to spend any of their time and insight to enlighten you on your aside.

If you're that interested, I'd suggest you go buy a headset and find out for yourself. That'd contribute more to the furtherment of your experience and knowledge.

Yeah, well that's just rude... cya

No.
First off they have only said "not at launch".
Secondly, I remember BF4 and all their servers designed to fix the netcode. Not all discussions were about the netcode yet things discussed made it into the game before netcode got fixed...
My point is I do not want ANY sub-set of players to be part of any design decisions. It is their game, let them work on it.
I'm sure they won't forget all the kind offers to help when they have something..

I'm OK with FDev developing a VR version of the game, if, as with Bethesda's 'Skyrim' if you want the VR version then you pay for the VR version as a separate purchase not the normal flatscreen one that the majority on the Elite Dangerous players have, it takes valuable dev resources to develop VR games and that detracts from the development of the non VR game that most of us play!
So, yeah... if you want VR, pay for it.

I think there’s an argument to be made for a top-end VR version charging more per unit. It’s not unusual in the VR market. FDev haven’t gone that path to date, but they’re also facing more significant dev costs with the Legs addition presumably.

(I'm not sure your rationale is entirely waterproof though, as there are lots of ED gameplay strands which take up significant dev but only benefit a subset of the community. A 'combat only' version of the game would be a thing to behold ;))

Given you've already benefited from the investment into this game made by VR players

This is an interesting point. The fuzzy data we have does suggest ED vets may have higher headset ownership ratios than the average gamer. IE stuff like:

The /r/EliteDangerous poll of VR ownership & usage - (1,600 respondents)

kzqCf2y.png

FlightSim Community Survey 2019 - (17,800 respondents).

NjJlyB3.png

Which can be read as a 'disproportionate' input into the game, ranked against VR upkeep etc, if we like ;)

---

This isn’t really the place for a full blown discussion about this topic though :). That would be here:

Would you be ready to accept a DLC dedicated to VR

No.
First off they have only said "not at launch".
Secondly, I remember BF4 and all their servers designed to fix the netcode. Not all discussions were about the netcode yet things discussed made it into the game before netcode got fixed...
My point is I do not want ANY sub-set of players to be part of any design decisions. It is their game, let them work on it.
I'm sure they won't forget all the kind offers to help when they have something..

The primary point of this proposal would be to allow for (limited) VR access at launch. The 'beta testing' potential is much more like a bonus possibility, rather than the central gain being sought.

My presumption is that such an experimental branch could be made accessible to all EDO players (with a headset). So I'm not sure in which sense design would be influenced unduly by a subset. Do you mean that VR players themselves are the subset, and that any effects they could have on non-VR design would be undue?

I just don't like the idea of a seperate test server which would be vr specific as per its original intention. The problem with this, as with the bf4 netcode test servers, was when devs and players meet, other things are discussed and then the focus shifts from the original intent.
This inevitably only causes more delays and then the frustration levels hit the roof.
They are basically a powder keg waiting to explode with the end result that players get disenfranchised.
I would be fine if they dropped vr in as a complete entity sometime after launch or in mini-chunks like ships/environments/fps over time.
Regardless, I hope you folk do get vr, even if it takes a bit longer than hoped.
tl;dr test server bad

Totally support this, a beta VR would be great.

One thing i dont get is that ED keep saying if not done right people will get Sick.
People got Sick driving the SRV for the first couple of hours..... Many VR users already have their VR Legs.

Let us use our VR legs in VR space :p

Warlord

Hello lovely devs!

Please consider releasing an experimental VR branch for Odyssey when the time comes. This could be made available through the current launcher.

Potentially it could allow for:
  • A very basic implementation of VR to be made available without officially launching in the VR marketplace.
  • Access to Odyssey flight & SRV content. [?]
  • Basic access to character content using the planned 'flatscreen' control schemes. [?]

Given community disappointment about the VR announcement I suspect there would be a lot of tolerance for 'basic' interim solutions to the character issue.
  • Possible basic solutions for character gameplay:
    • A projected flat screen (as seen in Minecraft VR, Touring Karts etc).
    • VR headlook + classic control schemes, for those who have their 'VR legs'.
    • The above, but with work done on aspects like guns & UI being attached to headlook.

Such a branch would keep a huge swathe of the existing VR community happy. It would placate the dedicated fans of EDVR who seek it out, while not appearing on the radar of customers seeking a fully realised VR product. (Ideally it could also operate as a genuine testbed for a fuller VR implementation down the line).

I would urge you to consider the possibility.

o7
Gol

I was about to post in the other thread a similar idea (like a DDF for people with VR to suggest solutions to the devs when they can't think of a way to implement a VR solution). I am normally on my phone so never saw your sig link before. Great idea Golgot (y) If they are seriously making an effort to add VR for ED:O then it makes sense to get us VR lot involved.

Totally makes sense not to until after the initial release because they want to keep stuff under wraps, but they could at least launch with ED:O experimental and I think that would keep a lot of us happy. Just knowing they really are trying.

Totally support this, a beta VR would be great.

One thing i dont get is that ED keep saying if not done right people will get Sick.
People got Sick driving the SRV for the first couple of hours..... Many VR users already have their VR Legs.

Let us use our VR legs in VR space :p

Warlord

Completely agree. Unlocking the Guardian FSD was a particular vomit fest for me but I could probably row a rubber dingy across the Atlantic in a hurricane and not get sea sick now. For legs teleporting is easier on the stomach but hard on the brain. Loads of us that have VR would probably be willing to test it for them and even though I can cope with some VR situations now I couldn't before, I can tell when they would make me want to puke if I was new to it (I get what I call 'air sick', a bit sick but not enough to stop me doing anything).

Top Bottom