Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

If you listen to the devs you end up listening to a lot of garbage and lies. I put zero faith in anything CIG say and only believe in what they deliver.

Now, i'm not saying they don't have to do the groundwork first, but if its taking them 3+ years to make the switch from DX to Vulkan due to all the things that have to be changed, you have to wonder how much of a mess of code they have to work with. It means as they developed the engine over the years, they didn't parallelize anything as they worked on it? Everything was left to deal with later? Did they not understand years ago they needed to take advantage of parallel processing?

Perhaps this is another example of how with CIG taking so long to develop things that changes in tech means they are always having to refactor to stay abreast of new developments.

Still, if the switch to Vulkan means i get a stable 60 FPS then that would be nice. I'll wait and see what it brings, if/when it happens.
They have serialised pipelines. So they are probably now working on parallelising the pipelines. It will increase throughput.

I was referring to your assumption that SC would be the first title to go with Vulkan...DX 12 and Vulkan are too similar performance wise to make that distinction.
I rephrase it. SC will switch from dx11 to Vulkan and it's not common in the game market. It will be one of the game where we will be able to measure the real gain for this switch. I don't know another game that have switched from DX11 to Vulkan and used the specifities of Vulkan. I am curious about the gain in performance of this switch.

It will be one of the game where we will be able to measure the real gain for this switch.

Sorry, but no. Assuming there is a gain, it will only tell you the real gain gained by SC. On top, if they are having to refactor a lot anyway, then presumably they would make improvements there. Considering the abysmal state of performance in SC at the moment, the refactor itself might create better gains than the switch to Vulkan.

I'd suggest a better variant for measuring the real gains would be with a game that supports DX11, DX12, and Vulkan, and switch between them. Not aware of any games that do that. GTA allows you to switch between DX 10, 10.1, and 11 (and to be honest, i've given that a try and never saw any significant improvement... in fact, i think i got better performance with DX10 than 11... maybe because of reduced requirements.

Oh gods, now there is a thought. Imagine if the switch to Vulkan increased the overhead and requirements for SC! I mean, i guess it shouldn't, but this is CIG we are talking about.

IalqvTP.jpg

By the time got got Vulkan in DX13 would have been standard. I'm still waiting to see videos of sandworms, it's already in the game.

I'm willing to trust the grunts. Anyone in the higher echelons though are firmly CR's yes men and will lie through their buck teeth as needed.
I'm not. If the grunts were worthy of trust, they would long since have been able to find gainful - and above all honest - employment doing a real job at a real company.

Last edited:
Top Bottom