Anything New on the Way?

Why speculate and create a self-imposed expectation?

Why? Because they give zero communication. That is the problem. It is called managing expectations, something companies generally try to do. So yes, it is on them to do so. Even in my own small business managing client's expectations is something I have to be aware of or deal with complaints later that are sometimes very silly.

As to ruining surprise, is it really any less of a surprise doe them to tell us a month ahead compared to a week ahead? Any other game I play it is known what is coming months ahead of time and generates a lot of hype and buzz. I think the reveal at any point would be a surprise and therefore good. Also my example of announcing Australia was just that, an example. Could be "we are working at diving animations" or "flying birds is something that is being worked on for the future". Literally anything would be better than their current stance of complete silence.

Sure there are people that will not like it, you cannot avoid that by being silent. People have not liked the last two dlcs too.

I just hope they've been listening to feedback given after the last two DLC packs. I think a lot of players want something a bit more than content that scratches an itch for a very brief period of time.

I know Frontier is a very different company to EA, so take what I say as just a concern: I see how Sims fans respond to every pack that gets announced and it seems to be with nothing but frustration because of how tone deaf/ underwhelming/ not asked for they always seem to be.
With the last pack for PZ, Frontier was asked: Why are there no scenarios? Why are there so many items and what feels like too few animals? (For the same price as the first pack which did have scenarios). So I hope they have changed course and will put a bit more time into whatever's next, if it means more meaningful content.

I don't think it's unreasonable however, for players to want new gameplay mechanics introduced with DLC, and more new animals than a handful, and new locations/ types of challenges if new scenarios aren't added. But the core game is also not quite working right either, so that needs to get seen to.The game also desperately needs optimization and how many years must we ask for DirectX12 support for Planet games? T_T

With the last pack for PZ, Frontier was asked: Why are there no scenarios? Why are there so many items and what feels like too few animals? (For the same price as the first pack which did have scenarios). So I hope they have changed course and will put a bit more time into whatever's next, if it means more meaningful content.

Fair enough that those are things that you (and some others) want, but those requests were far from universal. Different people want different things so 'meaningful content' is in the eye of the beholder (for me, it includes animals, plants, scenery pieces, mechanics (e.g., aviaries/diving/coat variation etc.) but doesn't include scenarios, since i don't play the scenarios. We can safely assume, for instance, that more animals per pack would (quite reasonably) increase the price, and some people might have an issue affording that (I'd be perfectly happy to pay more for more animals - i think the last two packs were appropriately priced but lots of people seem to think that there should be far more animals for the price of the DLC, but i think some people would be unhappy even if there were 100 animals for $1).

Why? Because they give zero communication. That is the problem
I don't think that's even an answer to my question but different approach: why would you do this to yourself? (reading this line a few times, i think I need to point out that you shouldn't consider this as an "attack" :D)
I don't think a company should have to answer to "silly" expectations (referring to your explanation). I agree with your view on complaints but in general, people are smart enough to filter genuine complaints and silly ones.
Like when people complain how some features work differently from ZT2, most people are able to filter those. You shouldn't expect PZ to be an updated version of another game with the same theme.

As to ruining surprise, is it really any less of a surprise doe them to tell us a month ahead compared to a week ahead? Any other game I play it is known what is coming months ahead of time and generates a lot of hype and buzz
Going with the majority of released games, they don't announce it that early. 1-4 weeks is very common for most games. It also takes away from the fun speculation experience. I agree with MMORPGS/games with a big focus on Multiplayer, they are always very keen on presenting extra info - months in advance. And early access games.

For example: If they announce Australia, Europe, North America and Africa for the next year, people will find something else to complain about. Like why no Marine animals? or what species in that DLC? Or why Africa?. For example: I'm not convinced having a roadmap would be that helpful, I think that it would create other expectation issues - maybe even worse.

Sure there are people that will not like it, you cannot avoid that by being silent. People have not liked the last two dlcs too

And people have also liked the last 2 DLCs too. That\s the main issue with comments - most times the people who don't like it are more vocal. Same applies to complaints/giving compliments.

As I said on another occasion, I like companys that can straight out say "no" if something won't work out as we'd like to see it

Same here. Recently another game announced this would be the last DLC and they aren't working on part 2. Some were upset but some were happy with the announcement.
But with the hitbox comment from Frontier, I'm not sure everyone is able to accept that. Slightly disappointed as well but a bit wishful thinking that if a new solution pops up - they will implement that.

i think the last two packs were appropriately priced but lots of people seem to think that there should be far more animals for the price of the DLC, but i think some people would be unhappy even if there were 100 animals for $1).
When they announced the previous DLC, I saw some post on twitter or instagram asking if it's free. So I really think that some people could be unhappy anyway (or they will complain about the content). Going with all the comments I think 1 or 2 habitat animals extra per DLC would be a good step, i think 15-20 for that price is unrealistic.
I also thought the price was fair (if they also added scenarios)

On the last monthly catch up Chante confirmed that they're still working from home, so I guess a big delay should be expected. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have any update/DLC release until September.

That being said, it doesn't take away that a bit more communication wouldn't hurt anyone. I appreciate the element of surprise but I think saying "we're working on a big update which tackles 1) some of the feedback raised by the community, or 2) some features requested by the community" would be very appreciated by an important part of the playerbase.
Regarding DLCs, it's obvious that they're working hard on that kind of content, mainly because it provides profit unlike basegame updates. I hope this delay is also partially caused by the fact that they listened to (mostly constructive) feedback and at least one more habitat animal is included.

On the last monthly catch up Chante confirmed that they're still working from home, so I guess a big delay should be expected. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have any update/DLC release until September.

Possibly but not necessarily. Obviously none of us have any idea how they work but given the technology and capacity people have to do things remotely I wouldn’t assume it has a huge impact.

Possibly but not necessarily. Obviously none of us have any idea how they work but given the technology and capacity people have to do things remotely I wouldn’t assume it has a huge impact.
I think they would've create their own solution for this, like any other company.
Not programming/creating new games/dlc, is not the best way to go. There's an increase in sales in video games/consoles etc. during COVID-19.
Delay, yes. Huge delay, personally don't think so

For those interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_of_the_COVID-19_pandemic_on_the_video_game_industry

I think they would've create their own solution for this, like any other company.
Not programming/creating new games/dlc, is not the best way to go. There's an increase in sales in video games/consoles etc. during COVID-19.
Delay, yes. Huge delay, personally don't think so

For those interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_of_the_COVID-19_pandemic_on_the_video_game_industry

It's not really about the technical impact though is it? It's more that frontier aren't a huge company and I imagine a limited number of people will be working on any update / DLC and their personal circumstances are what matter. They may have caring responsibilities, be home schooling children, have relatives ill or be sick themselves and then there is just the mental pressure / stress. Plus the simple fact that info sharing, no matter how good your technical set up, is more difficult if you aren't sharing space because you need to use email more and online meetings just take longer and don't tend to allow you to 'just mention' things in passing. I'm sure any delay will be limited but I feel like we shouldn't minimise it too much and put too much pressure on (I'm not saying you are, I mean the community as a whole) because I don't want to add to any stress they are feeling ande the industry as a whole aren't known for best practice when it comes to workplace pressure.

I don’t really see how they could have a significant delay in work, to be honest. I’m not in the UK, so I don’t know what the situation is like over there, but l imagine that they have had to adapt like any other business.

I’m a scientist and obviously our lab work was put on hiatus for a long while there, and only partially back now. But our entire team could still conduct analysis and continue writing from home - we just took the computers home that had the software we needed, and used the VPN to access our servers. We use instant messaging to share quick info (so many channels, constantly pinging so it’s the same as being in the office together!) and quick zoom meetings whenever we need to. We’ve had several papers published during the shutdown. I’m coming from a place of ingnorance, knowing nothing about game development, but I can imagine Frontier doing exactly the same thing - except that they are likely to all have their own computers and software, unlike us who have to “hot desk” and can share due to being balanced between office and lab work. Frontier don’t have any physical tasks that I can think of (besides maybe the sounds techs who need a studio?), so I can think of no reason for their work to be significantly impacted by working from home.

Almost all of our team have pets, kids, partners and Netflix, but they still get their work done from home. I’m sure Frontier have a good a work ethic as anyone and have worked as closely as possible to their deadline.

Last edited:
I don’t really see how they could have a significant delay in work, to be honest. I’m not in the UK, so I don’t know what the situation is like over there, but l imagine that they have had to adapt like any other business.
And if there's a group that has experience with working at home. It's mostly IT/programmers - Maybe difficult but adapting shouldn't be a big issue. I know a lot of IT guys and they quickly switched. Most of them already had the tools.

They may have caring responsibilities, be home schooling children, have relatives ill or be sick themselves and then there is just the mental pressure / stress
Home schooling might be an issue. Caring responsibilities, not sure of that one - most people don't have any inconvenience or minor flu issues. And if you need care from corona, you likely end up in hospital care.
I do think mental pressure/stress is the dangerous one of these. Not going into detail, but that applies to a lot of different situations.

I had an office job, spent 4-5 weeks at home. Almost nobody to talk to, not the most ideal work place (resulting in some minor neck/back pains) and no clear distinction in work and private place. At times, I felt that the walls started closing in on me. A lot of colleagues were less productive than usual. And you don't see any improvement in your company for the near future, which also gives a feeling of a certain insecurity. What will my employer do to survive?
In my case that part was correct - got fired a month ago. Luckily Dutch labour laws are protective of employees and with some effort I already have a new job.

Now that I think of it, could this also be the reason why we haven't heard anything is to avoid pressure on their employees? We all know that deadlines can be very stressfull.

Adaption to different work situations take time. But with most of my customers it took 4 weeks. I would assume it is roughly the same with most companies. So I give them one month delay because of covid. Anything else could be bug-reasoned.
I was hoping for some hints for next month on the july catch up. But now I feel like we'll have another "boring" month with nothing new on the horizon. And dear goddess, I wish I'm wrong...

I was hoping for some hints for next month on the july catch up
Tbh, was expecting the same and I really thought they would launch something just before the vacation periods.

With a 4 weeks delay, as you suggested, and the assumption for most players for DLC is 3-4 months. That would be a DLC in August/September, right?

But now I feel like we'll have another "boring" month with nothing new on the horizon. And dear goddess, I wish I'm wrong...
I think noone will disagree about this one. Haven't played the game for over 3 weeks. A new DLC would spark new interest. Can't deny that one.

I don't know, honestly. The South America DLC was in April... or march? Most people use Planco releases as a hint. Then again, I saw a leak that something was planned for the end of june.
The steam database changed about a month ago. Usually between changed database and major update announcement there is 10 days... we are over every assumed timed period, I guess.

I took a PZ break because my mind was busy with other creative things. It irritates me a bit, that I long so much for new content, as I'd say, normally the game has enough to offer. But I guess it's the anticipation that keeps me from investing time in my project, because I don't know if I can integrate something new anyway soon.
Which leads again to the lack of communication. If I KNEW we wouldn't hear anything in august, I wouldn't hold my breath and it would be easier for me to work with what I have or simply prolong the break. The second one would be more likely... I need new building pieces and features to play with (don't care about new animals currently, if they aren't semi-aquatic or whatever the word for swimming mammals that also live on land would be. Any other animal addition at this point is welcomed, but not desired.)

Edit: Sorry, for whatever reason I can't partly quote on my phone, so I didn't quote at all @NL_Mutso

Last edited:
I don't know, honestly. The South America DLC was in April... or march? Most people use Planco releases as a hint. Then again, I saw a leak that something was planned for the end of june.
The steam database changed about a month ago. Usually between changed database and major update announcement there is 10 days... we are over every assumed timed period, I guess.
That was April. Going with assumptions/delays, I don't see any problems.
Interesting about those 10 days. Maybe recent changes gives us more hope: https://steamdb.info/app/703080/dlc/

I took a PZ break because my mind was busy with other creative things. It irritates me a bit, that I long so much for new content, as I'd say, normally the game has enough to offer. But I guess it's the anticipation that keeps me from investing time in my project, because I don't know if I can integrate something new anyway soon.
Which leads again to the lack of communication. If I KNEW we wouldn't hear anything in august, I wouldn't hold my breath and it would be easier for me to work with what I have or simply prolong the break. The second one would be more likely... I need new building pieces and features to play with (don't care about new animals currently, if they aren't semi-aquatic or whatever the word for swimming mammals that also live on land would be. Any other animal addition at this point is welcomed, but not desired.)

My PZ break was a bit forced due to losing my job/legal issues surrounding that/new job applications. That has al been settled and do want to play PZ again. But I think I'll need a update/DLC to get me fully back into the game. That's my personal issue but I really need to something new to get back. Hard to explain but I think most people can relate to this on some level.

The game could definitely use a few new features, like fur variations. I recall the devs stating they were working on that months ago, but it needed more time. Animal diving would be another, and Aviaries also. Jurassic World Evo has aviaries, maybe Planet Zoo can do something similar. Bigger exhibits would be cool too, especially for the animals that are too small to be habitat and too big to be current game size exhibit. Having Zoo guides that walk around the park educating guests would also be cool. Planet Coaster has something similar, but in the form of entertainers.

Last edited:
That was April. Going with assumptions/delays, I don't see any problems.
Interesting about those 10 days. Maybe recent changes gives us more hope: https://steamdb.info/app/703080/dlc/
Just a small correction about the 10 days thing. The SA one was up as an unnamed pack since January, and the first of the two unnamed packs was uploaded two months ago; so there's not much to tell us about when this is going to be released. However, there's been a bunch of activity on it in the past few days, so hopefullly we're getting some news soon!

Just a small correction about the 10 days thing. The SA one was up as an unnamed pack since January, and the first of the two unnamed packs was uploaded two months ago; so there's not much to tell us about when this is going to be released. However, there's been a bunch of activity on it in the past few days, so hopefullly we're getting some news soon!
ok, same with the 10 days I didn't know or paid attention to it. Just went other observations.
The recent activity on that page was noticed by many others, so I agree - hopefully some news soon.

Hmm... what did I mix up with 10 days then? Weird.
However, there have been recent changes since days now. Still no news.
And with the fur variations... I know they said they are working on them. But I'm at a (grumpy) point, where I only believe it by now, when I see it. EA promised Sims 4 players to update babies when the game was released. 4 years later nothing changed. And it hurts me to name Frontier and EA in the same sentence and both mean it in a negative way. But we haven't heard nor seen anything concerning that matter ever since, the threads are buried, the answers on twitter hard to find and a bigger statement, update notes or previews where never given. Just like with EA and the babies. Nothing more than a community manager post on a forum. Try to hold someone accountable on a forums post... It's just been too long with no word about it, no time frame, no nothing. Last thing we had, was Bo's answer to a twitter user that llamas will eventually get variations. Now Bo isn't even with Frontier anymore.

I feel the need to clarify that I didn't start the thread with the intent of bagging Frontier, more to open a discussion on just how quiet things have been of late.

As I stated in the OP, I am certain there are good reasons for this diminishment in community interaction from Frontier. I don't feel entitled to answers from them, I have never once asked for a roadmap for DLC, and I'm not asking for anything in particular; I only mean to say that things have been dead quiet. Likewise, the July Catch-Up did nothing but confirm what everyone already knew, which is that the Frontier staff are working from home. Now we're in August.

Another thing that concerned me was that there was a wide gap between 1.2.4 and 1.2.5, and the latter really didn't add much to the game. The fixes were minimal and addressed very little in terms of what people needed addressing. This was, of course, during a period of confusion and uncertainty in the UK especially surrounding Covid-19 and the response thereto, so I don't blame them for not having something more substantial to show us, but even so this is just as assumed explanation rather than one given by Frontier.

I don't doubt that we will see something eventually. To be truthful, I hadn't even played the game in a long time until the day I started this thread, and even then I've since put it away again simply because there are certain features I want before I dig back in again (or at least, I want something new). The main things I want are longer, curved rope pieces (up to 12m) to build realistic primate rope courses and of course mesh building pieces. Now, we have had absolutely no confirmation of either of these features, so I'm not specifically waiting for them (that would be delusional), but I think it shows that even something "boring" (i.e., not flashy) like that would really regenerate my interest at this point. New animals and gameplay features would be nice, sure, but right now I'd be happy with something small but engaging like a few more bits of rope to play around with.

In any event, interest in the game dwindled prior to every DLC so far. There was a major downturn especially between the Arctic Pack and the South America Pack. This is probably just like that. They'll drop a new DLC at some point and the hype will return, and everyone will be back into the game for a couple of months and we'll get more updates. And then we'll all get bored again. ;)

I have to say I am absolutely not bored. I can’t play at the moment because I hurt my back and sitting still is very painful - plus I’m in the middle of a move - but I would happily play every day at the moment.

I’m still keen for new features and especially new animals but as I have said before, the game still has endless possibilities me, even without new content.

Top Bottom