Release EDSM - Elite Dangerous Star Map

I have not heard anything specific on this subject.
I'm not sure if it is really possible to specify a particular place in the system as a waypoint for an EDSM expedition. At least in those I've participated just visiting the system did the job. I found out that my friend got the mark for Sol on the second attempt. I will ask him if he docked somewhere or scanned something to achieve this.

I did the DW2 expedition and the first waypoint for that was the Tourist Beacon in Pallaeni.

I found out that my friend got the mark for Sol on the second attempt. I will ask him if he docked somewhere or scanned something to achieve this.
Actually, that was his third attempt. He did not dock and did not scan anything. He dropped from SC to Li Qing Jao station and jumped to the next system from there - that's it.

Are you sure it was necessary to visit to be registered as a competed waypoint in EDSM and not just a camping\gathering\roleplay place?

Mmm, you could be right on that. I guess only Anthor can definitively clarify what EDSM accepts as the initial waypoint for a tour. But I do suspect you have to drop out of SC into normal space to register the waypoint (but again, I’m only guessing!)

Edit: I’ve raised the question on Discord

Last edited:
Mmm, you could be right on that. I guess only Anthor can definitively clarify what EDSM accepts as the initial waypoint for a tour. But I do suspect you have to drop out of SC into normal space to register the waypoint (but again, I’m only guessing!)
Definitely not for all of them, I did not drop out of SC in Lave and have it registered in spite of this.
Edit: I’ve raised the question on Discord
Thank you so much!

Definitely not for all of them, I did not drop out of SC in Lave and have it registered in spite of this.

Thank you so much!

His response was “normally any waypoints within the time frame set the start point
Can check with a specific account if needed”

So I suggest those suffering this problem PM AnthorNet (see OP) with their details. 🙂

Last edited:
I'm doing some analysis of regions around the bubble and so I need to convert between elite coordinates (cartesian) and galactic coordinates.

Does anyone know whether the elite coords correspond to an astronomical standard?
Can anyone provide a reference for the appropriate calculation?

(0,0,0) is Sol, and looking from "above" (when you go into the Galaxy Map), x is right-left (people also say west-east), z is up-down (i.e. towards the core from Sol, also north-south), y is above-below the galactic plane.

So to convert to Galactic coordinates, you just need to use the in-game position of Sagittarius A*: x is 25.21875, z is 25899.96875 and y is -20.90625.

Last edited:
But the astronomy standard is use of Right Ascension and Declination. There are some coordinate conversion calculations around somewhere, try Google. Think I read somewhere the calculation used in EDsM is slightly off.

But the astronomy standard is use of Right Ascension and Declination. There are some coordinate conversion calculations around somewhere, try Google. Think I read somewhere the calculation used in EDsM is slightly off.

RA and Dec is not positional data - it is directional. i.e. It tells you where to point your telescope - it doesn't tell you where the object is in 3-dimensions.

RA and Dec and distance?

Yep, but in astronomy distance is always somewhat inaccurate. Hence the long streams of stars that we see in ED.
You can measure angles pretty accurately, but you’d need a very long tape measure! Solar parallax method isn’t all that accurate for anything over a few light years.

Are EDSM records still updated? 3 weeks ago I found an S-type with surface temperature far lower than currently listed as lowest (2,802 K vs 3,013 K), but the records page still doesn't show it. I'm using EDMC, system data is definitely on EDSM. I still didn't sell the data so I'd rather not share the system name. I'm paranoid.

Hello CMDR's first off thanks for the amazing database you got collected! it helps out a tonne for new cmdr such as myself. I am wondering if it is possible to do an advanced search of a gas giant that has 8 moons around it. I see i can search all gas giants around SOL but i would like to narrow my searches for systems that have gas giants and at least 8 moons orbiting it.

I think you all know what im searching for :)

Thanks again CMDR's
o7

Hello CMDR's first off thanks for the amazing database you got collected! it helps out a tonne for new cmdr such as myself. I am wondering if it is possible to do an advanced search of a gas giant that has 8 moons around it. I see i can search all gas giants around SOL but i would like to narrow my searches for systems that have gas giants and at least 8 moons orbiting it.

I think you all know what im searching for :)

Thanks again CMDR's
o7

It’s already been done by several Commanders.
If you want to do it yourself there’s an api for you to download EDSM system data, think it’s in JSON format (whatever that is), but it’s too big to fit into a single Excel worksheet (I tried once). Then you have to parse and filter it as you want. But I don’t think it will help, Lyta Crane is not a reliable source according to the Codex, and even if TDW stealth station is located at an eighth moon of a Gas Giant it is probably not going to be instanced until you get TDW invitation.

Last edited:
I am wondering about on the website for the ship images. it doesn't say where to send or submit images to be added to the website collection.
As well as when taking the images when in livery view the ctrl+alt+g does not seem remove the hud anymore, it only removes it on the more close up shot in the outfitting menu before selecting livery. so i took them with the ship view camera as best as i could to the same angle as other images.

Hi.

I have just come across the EDSM site and I have a quick question.

If I sign up, is all my historic travel data captured or is it only from the time of sign up?

Are you in console or PC?
On PC you use something like EDDiscovery and set it to supply your data to EDSM. I think it will then just send new data, but the data is held in your personal journal logs and you can manually copy previous files across to EDSM. There may even be a button in EDD to do a catch up, not sure.
No idea about consoles.

Consoles don't have access to the same files as the PC, so the only data EDSM can get for console users is what they can get using the direct API call to Frontier. AFAIK, that goes back 28 days.

Are you in console or PC?
On PC you use something like EDDiscovery and set it to supply your data to EDSM. I think it will then just send new data, but the data is held in your personal journal logs and you can manually copy previous files across to EDSM. There may even be a button in EDD to do a catch up, not sure.
No idea about consoles.

Yes, on PC. Thanks I'll check out EDD.

Top Bottom