ANNOUNCEMENT Community Update July 2020

With the announcement of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey, we know you are excited and keen to learn more of whats to come.
I'll be terribly excited, because I love this game. But my excitement levels for what might come will be markedly reduced until such time as what I already had works again.

Focus, dear team, focus. Castles in the sky aren't nearly as interesting if what you already had is falling apart around you. Maybe haul some of those 100+ developers that you've chained to the oars of HMS Odyssey back to get the foundations of your game working before you start fueling the hype train of what's to come?

I can only speak for myself, but I'd surely love to enjoy the functionality that my game had until the Fleet Carrier until such time as Odyssey landed. It might could even make me want to stick around to see what might come. At the very least it would mean that I was having fun until the next load of fun lands, rather than having to tie my old game which was working perfectly fine until Space Herpes, the Fleet Carrierning happened, back together with duct tape and chewing gum.

Well, Fleet carriers sounded "fun", until finding out that to have one requires a schedule in between real life job and the job of maintaining a fleet carrier, so... no time for actual playing the game there.. Don't feel like enrolling for a job in Elite game. I just want to play the game.

Space legs, eh... okay, I don't really understand the real need for it, since the game is based around you piloting your ship, but well, if there are additional things to do rather than just gimmicks attached to having "space legs in the game", then can't hurt. But yes I agree; I think there are a number of issues with the game at present.

Would be nice to not have fleet carriers show up in solo play, as orange markers, obscuring a planet of it's actual markers. Despite ignoring it in a filter.
Would be nice to have a different type of currency required to purchase a fleet carrier for the first time, rather than credits. This would have been a better fix than nerfing the game and breaking half of it.

The cost of a fleet carrier could be comprised of a multitude of required payments, in different forma. I know there will still be eager beavers looking for ways to exploit every nook and cranny like locusts on a crop field, but there's no stopping the little blighters, so don't worry; Have 20% required to pay in bounty claims, 20% required in credits earned by your allied faction of choice, 20% payment required by exploration data, and so on, until players have fulfilled all the installment criteria for purchasing a Fleet Carrier.

This would have had more meaning to earning the fleet carrier, because different tasks and skills would have gone into it, rather than rich people just throwing credits at it, like some obnoxious snob, and getting one from the outset. I don't really care, but sounds like more fun than just min/maxing the game by grinding the same thing, everyone doing exactly the same one thing for weeks on end until it had to be nerfed by Fdev.. not sure what the need is to be honest, because everyone is going to end up with a fleet carrier anyway, so what's the big need to nerf mining? My favourite pastime has had a 200 tonne hammer brought down on it, and I don't even know what the fuss is about lol.

Will we get space legs, and then guns to shoot? We could walk around our ship and do some kind of mini game with the hull surface. Dunno, something I have no idea why the need for space legs, but meh.. That'll be a lot of complications to the game engine. Gonna be a fuster cluck of bugs and glitches introduced to the once stable game after that eh?

I'd rather have NPC's who talk to you as fleshed out 3d characters, even if it's just sat behind a desk like NMS is most of the time.. Instead of looking for youtubers to do crappy voice acting, might be a better idea to do some NPC interaction, even X series had it, even the old 90's games had NPCs that interacted with you. That would flesh out the game a bit more and feel less lonely. What kind of benefit do I get from being griefed on open play by gankers and griefers? Other players I'll likely meet are more interested in chasing after that tripple hotspot overlap somewhere where everyone else is gathered like maggots on a corpse.

So.. Do we really need space legs? Wouldn't it be more worthwhile expanding on what we already have? The different things to do are...okay I guess, but would be more closer to being fulfilling if there was more immersion in the aspects we already have. I think mining is fine.. but the exploit is not fine and the market forces are not fine, they need work. Powerplay would be more engaging if it wasn't just the same mission over and over. Feels like I'm working at McDonalds flipping burgers all day. Same sh** different day gets old fast.

So.. Do we really need space legs? Wouldn't it be more worthwhile expanding on what we already have? The different things to do are...okay I guess, but would be more closer to being fulfilling if there was more immersion in the aspects we already have. I think mining is fine.. but the exploit is not fine and the market forces are not fine, they need work. Powerplay would be more engaging if it wasn't just the same mission over and over. Feels like I'm working at McDonalds flipping burgers all day. Same sh** different day gets old fast.

Agreed - I'd rather stay in-cockpit and keep VR in the game. I have no interest in an FPS, so I'll be skipping ODYSSEY and remain in HORIZONS where I can get as close as I'll ever be to actually going to space, flying in VR.

I can't help but feel compassion for you, mainly regarding your VR desires. Then having to resign yourself to not getting to play more update of your fave game... I feel for you dude. That sucks.

I assume co-ordinated with Gamescom somehow. Maybe running footage there, and a feature to buttress it.

I'm not so sure about the Gamescom thing. I could be wrong, but haven't Dev Diaries always been shared directly with the players, independent of any event or convention reveals?

I don't know if they've ever released a Dev Diary at an industry event like that (could be wrong), and I actually don't think a Dev Diary is the ideal format to tart your game at an industry event.

It's also worth nothing that the last few times they've given a month or a quarter as a deadline, they have delivered towards the start or middle of that window.

My suspicion, and it's just a suspicion, not an expectation, is they'll put out the Dev Diary mid-August, once patch 4 is safely in the rear-view mirror (assuming no further extension of bugpocalype), and perhaps have some other small nuggets of info at Gamescom (or just a rehash of what's already been shared, but geared to an outside audience).

Greetings Commanders,

With the announcement of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey, we know you are excited and keen to learn more of whats to come.

Over the coming months we have some really exciting news and content to share with you. We will be kicking things off in August with a fantastic Developers Diary, which will show you some behind the scenes development of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

We can't wait to show you more and we are excited to share this epic journey with you.

o7 Commanders

TL;DR
“We’re really busy nerfing things into the ground and driving away 1/3 of the player base, but once we’re done making sure you’ll never make substantial money ever again we’ll disappoint you some more with our absolutely underwhelming amount of content.”

Do you think they will submit to this blackmail ? :p
That's the thing, it really isn't blackmail because I don't much care at the moment. The emotion center of my brain is saturated with excitement for Flight Simulator 2020. To be honest, my primary interest in Odyssey news at present is to help pass the time until August 18th arrives :D

I'm not saying that I'm uninterested in Odyssey in the grand scheme of things. MSFS will no doubt take me away for a few months, but "just flying" won't hold my attention forever. Maybe Microsoft should take a page out of Frontier's book and add an FPS to MSFS. At the very least, I could land a bush plane in Africa and hunt tigers or something! But until that day, Odyssey at least potentially has some gameplay to offer that MSFS doesn't.

lol@ 1st page.

"Why does FD never talk to us!!!"
"Why does FD spend more time on social media than here?!?!?!"

FD: posts something

"Lol bet it will be buggy!"
"I dont care without VR"
"We dont want more words from you!"

And so forth. You just know that when they post something about Oydssey next month, Reddit will talk about what they've seen. Meanwhile the responses here will be:

"Yeah, I bet it will be way worse in reality!"
"I didn't see [x], who cares about [y]?!"
"I dont want to see things, just release it already!"
"Does this mean its all over for ED?"
"I feel gutted, this is worse than the day all my children and dogs drowned!"

lol@ 1st page.

"Why does FD never talk to us!!!"
"Why does FD spend more time on social media than here?!?!?!"

FD: posts something

"Lol bet it will be buggy!"
"I dont care without VR"
"We dont want more words from you!"

And so forth. You just know that when they post something about Oydssey next month, Reddit will talk about what they've seen. Meanwhile the responses here will be:

"Yeah, I bet it will be way worse in reality!"
"I didn't see [x], who cares about [y]?!"
"I dont want to see things, just release it already!"
"Does this mean its all over for ED?"
"I feel gutted, this is worse than the day all my children and dogs drowned!"

Yeah, different people have different opinions ;)

Then there's the people that just complain about the reactions not being one, unified message.

Yeah, different people have different opinions ;)

Then there's the people that just complain about the reactions not being one, unified message.

It's not about differing opinions, every community has that. I am also not complaining. I am merely pointing out in amusement how petty, sour, nihilistic and angsty-emo-teen this 'most mature community' is.

You know that one kid that would always intentionally throw the ball in the water when things didn't go his way, until he was confused why nobody wanted to play with him anymore? That's what this community is. Except Billy is now a bunch of 40+ year old dudes who really have little excuse for their behaviour. :)

You know that one kid that would always intentionally throw the ball in the water when things didn't go his way, until he was confused why nobody wanted to play with him anymore? That's what this community is. Except Billy is now a bunch of 40+ year olds who really have little excuse for their behaviour.
If you still think people change as they get older ... you're still young ;) The most that happens is that you realise you can get away with more bad behaviour :)

Top Bottom