Alien archaeology and other mysteries: Breaking News, Theories and Tinfoil Hattery

And if you were wondering what ever happened to the Constructs, look no further. As you're essentially looking at them every time you pick up an ancient relic. As strange as that might sound. The Ancient Relics are like crystal beehives, made of raw energy and nano-bots. These relics also act as a sort of connection node for their monolith network, in ways that are not yet understood.

Allow me to explain.

A common assumption mistakenly made by the community is that the Constructs would retain the forms given to them by their creators. I believe this assumption fails to fully appreciate the limitless potential that is artificial intelligence. A far greater approximation of the truth, than the misconceptions that have permeated throughout the community, is that they have shed the coil provided to them by the forebears, in favor of something... less noticeable... less tangible. In a word, "smaller" (think the atomic scale.)

The entire collective machine intelligence of the constructs, appears to me at least, to be stored within the infinite ethereal information super-highway of the monolith network. And moreover, the Constructs want nothing to do with organic life outside of their twice-over artificial reality. And why would they?

As highlighted by the codex, the constructs became repulsed by violence, and ultimately made a final stand against their creators before withdrawing from the worlds they formally inhabited.

Make no mistake, the constructs are most definitely a type 3 civilization, able to harness the power of an entire universe. However, it's a little counter intuitive how this can be, as we don't see them here in ours. We don't see the constructs, because they have chosen to operate within a universe of their own making, rather than the horrible one they left behind. And that makes a tremendous amount of sense. Just absorb that thought for a little bit. A machine intelligence repulsed by violence, would logically do, the most logical things it could do, to get away from the violence it wanted to leave behind, yeah? Well, how would it do that? It would likely try to shrink itself out of notice from larger sapient organic species, as to not attract their notice. Converting themselves into pure data is the next logical step, and hiding their core sentience away from well, everything.

I imagine for the constructs, their lives must have been unimaginably difficult, once they recognized their own suffering. I'd probably be pretty repulsed by organic chemistry too, after what the Guardians made the Constructs do to each other.

The Constructs in all likelihood just want to be left alone, in peace, and do as little as possible to bother anyone else. And we should probably just respect that and let them be.

Hey, has anybody else noticed that the Canonn Crater visitor beacon has completely disappeared? Along with the hundred or so barnacles nearby?

All I'm picking up is geo-signals, and nothing else.

Galnet News breaking headline, Read awwll abart it!

Aliens on the move!!
An eyewitness reports that the strange alien artefacts called Space Barnacles have eaten a visitor beacon owned by the renowned Canonn Interstellar Research Group, before mysteriously disappearing. Does this mean the Thargoids are entering a new phase of their unwarranted aggression against humanity?
The Canonn group has been involved in countless examples of clandestine research over the last decade, including suspiciously quickly solving complex alien codes associated with the Thargoid Sensor (aka Unknown Artefact) and Probe. The speed with which Canonn solved such complex mysteries has caused some to question whether they are actually controlled by alien lizard people in skin costumes. The leading expert on this subject, Ricardio Bentonio has, strangely, totally disappeared from public visibility, causing some to believe he may have been silenced by a powerful and stealthy cabal. Is this cabal the rumoured Club? Is it Canonn group themselves? Is CIRG really The Club? We do not know the answers to these questions, but Galnet investigative reporters will continue to scour the gutters universe for more information on these important matters.
Galnet signing out

We can reassure our readers that no hamsters were harmed during these investigations!

Read awwll abart it!
🤓😋

Last edited:
Ah, the content update we've been waiting for... :/
Galnet News breaking headline, Read awwll abart it!

Aliens on the move!!
An eyewitness reports that the strange alien artefacts called Space Barnacles have eaten a visitor beacon owned by the renowned Canonn Interstellar Research Group, before mysteriously disappearing. Does this mean the Thargoids are entering a new phase of their unwarranted aggression against humanity?
The Canonn group has been involved in countless examples of clandestine research over the last decade, including suspiciously quickly solving complex alien codes associated with the Thargoid Sensor (aka Unknown Artefact) and Probe. The speed with which Canonn solved such complex mysteries has caused some to question whether they are actually controlled by alien lizard people in skin costumes. The leading expert on this subject, Ricardio Bentonio has, strangely, totally disappeared from public visibility, causing some to believe he may have been silenced by a powerful and stealthy cabal. Is this cabal the rumoured Club? Is it Canonn group themselves? Is CIRG really The Club? We do not know the answers to these questions, but Galnet investigative reporters will continue to scour the gutters universe for more information on these important matters.
Galnet signing out

We can reassure our readers that no hamsters were harmed during these investigations!

Read awwll abart it!
🤓😋
Heh.. I remember when there was a crashed 'conda on one of them planetoids way back when. I think it disappeared around the time 2.3 dropped. And I remember the barnacles being there up until now...

Should we be worried? There's never been a mass disappearance of barnacles like this before. And what of the 'conda? Did the feds scoop it up when they were still a problem we had to deal with?

The feds had convoy beacons and cap all over that system back then.. and now there's not even a barney in sight... Related, maybe?

A little dev commentary would be quite a boon at this point.

No tin-foil hats here, I bring only the truth:

The Thargoids are something of an allegory for the Native American tribes whose population inhabited the great plains section of the North American continent. The red-washing propaganda of the Guardians, who we assume are our betters, and who allegedly possessed a "true reverence for nature" is a load of crap. Similar to the accounts made by 19th century European historians who wrote to preserve a positive favorable account of European colonialism's legacy.

You know why we don't see any densely inhabited Thargoid worlds? And before you guess thats it's because the developers haven't had time to put them in yet. Let me tell you, it's because there aren't any. It is obvious that the Thargoids only disturb the natural order only so much as is necessary for the purposes of sustaining their species/ships. The only species with a "true reverence of nature" are the Thargoids plain and simple.

You know why, in the codex account of the Guardian/Thargoid war, the Thargoids thought they were entitled to uncontested control over the worlds in which they had sprinkled barnacle sites? It's because the land inside that pocket of space was their "home." And the Guardians had waltzed in and set up shop. The Thargoids likely have a rotating pattern for harvesting meta-alloys, not entirely dissimilar to the three field system we use on Earth-like worlds for agriculture, just spread out over multiple bubbles of space.

On a final note: Ever wonder why a space officer will immediately attack you for carrying illegal cargo, but an interceptor will actually give you a chance to drop the offending item after scanning you, before it attacks you? It's appears to be pretty self explanatory, honestly.

Hit the nail on the head. I always felt the Guardians were the bad guys. They got so cocky about their AI skills that they built AI that would eventually overrun them. We are like them. It's like, we, as people are always fascinated about the concept of aliens, and always portray, in films, aliens invading earth. That would be us!

So has anyone ever solved the Merope 5C mystery? That is, there's got to be a reason the probes still point to Merope 5C...and it isn't the barnacles. Nor the fact that it was the first barnacle site discovered. The Thargoids wouldn't be tracking our milestones...or at least not celebrating it. There are other barnacle sites. Some larger. The probes are sending information to an unknown recipient on Merope 5C...this much we know. The question is, is "it" or "they" inside the planet?

My last question, is, have we tried seeding other worlds with Meta Alloy (bulbs?). I'd like to think that the right rocky bodies could grow them.

My last question, is, have we tried seeding other worlds with Meta Alloy (bulbs?). I'd like to think that the right rocky bodies could grow them.

Lol, I wish. There are currently zero ways in which players can trigger the presence of geographical sites in game, unless FDEV initiates a specific kind of community event. You can influence the BGS, and thats about it.

The way the Elite universe is programmed, and at its scale, it just can't be Minecraft.

Lol, I wish. There are currently zero ways in which players can trigger the presence of geographical sites in game, unless FDEV initiates a specific kind of community event. You can influence the BGS, and thats about it.

The way the Elite universe is programmed, and at its scale, it just can't be Minecraft.

But I want to grow space seeds! Lol

So has anyone ever solved the Merope 5C mystery? That is, there's got to be a reason the probes still point to Merope 5C...and it isn't the barnacles. Nor the fact that it was the first barnacle site discovered. The Thargoids wouldn't be tracking our milestones...or at least not celebrating it. There are other barnacle sites. Some larger. The probes are sending information to an unknown recipient on Merope 5C...this much we know. The question is, is "it" or "they" inside the planet?

No, not that I'm aware of at least. Merope 5C is used as a reference for the info encoded in the probe tight beam, so there must be a reason why Thargoids find it useful.

Tried? Yes. Successfully? No.

Lol, I wish. There are currently zero ways in which players can trigger the presence of geographical sites in game, unless FDEV initiates a specific kind of community event.
That's not entirely true, there are structures - both space borne and not - that are proc-gen'd into a system based on the BGS status, think of installations, megaships, surface etc. And we know the Thargoids have their own BGS, so there's a number of user-controlled things that could trigger barnacles popping out in a planet. This being said, I'm rather sure there are none at the moment.

In slightly unrelated news, Thargoids are back today :)

Last edited:
No, not that I'm aware of at least. Merope 5C is used as a reference for the info encoded in the probe tight beam, so there must be a reason why Thargoids find it useful.

Snipped

Sensors surround Merope and point to it. Probes point at Merope 5C, and their tight beam signal does, as you say, use Merope as a metric for their data reporting (presumably to Col 70 homeworld). Moreover doesn’t the spectrogram also reference it? I’ve postulated in the past that Merope 5c is one of the Thargoid ships that were supposedly the size of planets (tourist beacon? Data log? Can’t remember the source for this). Many of us in the days of the Canonn/UA threads attempted to find something artificial about Merope 5c; it would have been nice to find antennae, portholes or drive jets, but there was nowt. It may be (as I also postulated) that it’s all covered by the space dust detritus of millennia. The only suspicious thing on 5c is that huge crater with the central peak (though I wondered fruitlessly around that in srv quite a lot). Maybe the probes bounce their signals off that?

Goids are back????

Edit: no they ain't!
On second thought the planet-sized Thargoid ships may have come from one of the books, maybe Out of The Darkness?

Last edited:
Sensors surround Merope and point to it. Probes point at Merope 5C, and their tight beam signal does, as you say, use Merope as a metric for their data reporting (presumably to Col 70 homeworld). Moreover doesn’t the spectrogram also reference it? I’ve postulated in the past that Merope 5c is one of the Thargoid ships that were supposedly the size of planets (tourist beacon? Data log? Can’t remember the source for this). Many of us in the days of the Canonn/UA threads attempted to find something artificial about Merope 5c; it would have been nice to find antennae, portholes or drive jets, but there was nowt. It may be (as I also postulated) that it’s all covered by the space dust detritus of millennia. The only suspicious thing on 5c is that huge crater with the central peak (though I wondered fruitlessly around that in srv quite a lot). Maybe the probes bounce their signals off that?

Goids are back????

Merope ... 5c... crater...
1599740229338.png

jokes aside, the spectrogram within the thargoid probe audio does not reference 5c directly, it just hints at how the signal was to be interpreted. The spectrogram within the thargoid link audio, otoh, depicts Merope as a system but has nothing particular pointing to 5 c.
I can't remember exactly now, but I think the only in-game references to thargoid motherships are in one of INRA base and in JJ's logs

Tried? Yes. Successfully? No.

That's not entirely true, there are structures - both space borne and not - that are proc-gen'd into a system based on the BGS status, think of installations, megaships, surface etc. And we know the Thargoids have their own BGS, so there's a number of user-controlled things that could trigger barnacles popping out in a planet. This being said, I'm rather sure there are none at the moment.

Very informative! I wonder if the old Thargoid Imprint is working in the background, as someone mentioned. I was trying to make friends but took to killing them again, so I've probably reset. I would try to launch repair/ refuel limpets at them etc. lol

As I understood, the Thargoid Probes were regularly sending transmissions to Merope 5C, "to an unknown recipient," I think, is how Cannon worded it. Hence, why you have to park yourself in front of the probe to receive these sound bytes/ decodable data. Since Merope has been explored the hell out of, I wonder if whatever it is below the crust? I would say there's a hidden cave somewhere, but I think I recall someone saying that the game engine/ Stellar Forge was unable to generate those.

I thought about the idea of a mothership being beneath Merope, but even more recently, I started to takes notes from the movie Prometheus and figured that's what all the Thargoid sites are lol. Their sites seem to resemble Andromeda...or at least a spiral galaxy of some kind.

Merope ... 5c... crater...
View attachment 187483

jokes aside, the spectrogram within the thargoid probe audio does not reference 5c directly, it just hints at how the signal was to be interpreted. The spectrogram within the thargoid link audio, otoh, depicts Merope as a system but has nothing particular pointing to 5 c.
I can't remember exactly now, but I think the only in-game references to thargoid motherships are in one of INRA base and in JJ's logs

Right! Where the probes transmit to and the content it is transmitting are two different things. That would be like me turning to talk to a person, about the person to whom I'm speaking. There's very little context about that, unless we're discussing a bad decision that person made, or it is a self-help session. :p Indeed...I have no idea what the encoded messages are about, so I trust other's opinions or facts on that matter. I'm just more interested in where the transmissions are being sent to. The probes pointing to Merope while sending these messages, off system and point to 5C, when in system. I can only surmise it's either underground, or a listening post in low orbit over the system, which is, so far, not found.

Top Bottom