"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

I consider myself a supporter of Frontier. I've played Elite on PS4 almost every day since it was released. I've bought plenty of Arx, I even bought Elite again on my PC. I purchased Planet Zoo purely because Frontier developed it rather than being interested in the actual gameplay (don't get me wrong, it's a good game). I like to think that supporting a UK developer/publisher is a good thing to do as a gamer and UK citizen.

I'm surprised that they aren't even planning a native PS5 or Series X release. I see the immediate responses Frontier give to PC players who write "open letters" and complain about VR not in Odyssey at launch, and then I contrast it to the attention they give to the console community. Questions about PSVR and even the Cobra MKIV exclusivity went unanswered for years. Just about the biggest gesture since launch was to include consoles in the Fleet Carrier beta, but really that was only at the behest of the PC community outrage at the September update debacle.

As a console player, I'd like to see just a little recognition from Frontier in the lead up to a whole new console generation. So far, nothing. Which is both worrying and disheartening.

XB user here, move over let me sit down I may be here a while. Im not a retired software engineer, I have very limted knowledge, I like console because I dont have to keep updating everything all the time until I just need a new PC and it all starts again. So just checking.

Elite Dangerous / Horizons as it is now - is questionable whether XB1X/PS5 compatible at launch?

ED ODyssey - Is/isn't compatible with PS4/PS5 XB1/XB1X?

I kind of assumed Id need a new XB1X to run EDO but how does that work if ED & Hor. arent playable?

I consider myself a supporter of Frontier. I've played Elite on PS4 almost every day since it was released. I've bought plenty of Arx, I even bought Elite again on my PC. I purchased Planet Zoo purely because Frontier developed it rather than being interested in the actual gameplay (don't get me wrong, it's a good game). I like to think that supporting a UK developer/publisher is a good thing to do as a gamer and UK citizen.

Hopefully incidents like this help you understand why this view is wrong. They're a multi million pound company, not your friend and they don't care about you or the country they're in, only profit. People need to stop acting like if they're just nice enough to the company then the company will be nice back as it doesn't work like that. Support companies because they do the right thing for their customers, not because of some misplaced sense of loyalty.

XB user here, move over let me sit down I may be here a while. Im not a retired software engineer, I have very limted knowledge, I like console because I dont have to keep updating everything all the time until I just need a new PC and it all starts again. So just checking.

Elite Dangerous / Horizons as it is now - is questionable whether XB1X/PS5 compatible at launch?

ED ODyssey - Is/isn't compatible with PS4/PS5 XB1/XB1X?

I kind of assumed Id need a new XB1X to run EDO but how does that work if ED & Hor. arent playable?

They're not being released specifically for the new consoles - just the current gen. Nobody said E: D won't be playable on the new consoles, it's just they haven't confirmed that they are and instead said that next gen is not on their roadmap for E: D. That alone should raise alarm bells.

As games developers, they'll have had both consoles for quite some time now, and they'll know if they run or not. But they're not likely to say anything because Frontier, and also the risk that the hardware might change between their prototypes & the final release hardware.

So until it's confirmed either way (either through the console release or Frontier actually telling us something) it's to some extent pot luck. Wait and see. 🤷‍♀️

But they're not likely to say anything because Frontier, and also the risk that the hardware might change between their prototypes & the final release hardware.

Sony and Microsoft don't give developers development kits if those developers won't be able to rely on being able to run whatever they develop because the final hardware changes. If that were the case then no developer would be able to develop for the new consoles until they had actually been released and we all know that's not the case.

Sony and Microsoft don't give developers development kits if those developers won't be able to rely on being able to run whatever they develop because the final hardware changes. If that were the case then no developer would be able to develop for the new consoles until they had actually been released and we all know that's not the case.

True, but they're not developing E: D for it. They've said that. All they'd do is check to see if it runs. Lots of factors go into that, and not just hardware... the software (OS) too.

So they can't be definitive. Or they won't be. Take your pick. 🤷‍♀️

True, but they're not developing E: D for it. They've said that. All they'd do is check to see if it runs. Lots of factors go into that, and not just hardware... the software (OS) too.

So they can't be definitive. Or they won't be. Take your pick. 🤷‍♀️

If it weren't possible to be definitive then Sony wouldn't have been able to say that almost all of the top PS4 games would be backwardly compatible.

It is possible to be definitive but just like it is possible for ED to run better on the PS4 Pro, it requires some FDev to put some effort in and that's where the problem is as they're clearly not prepared to do so.

If it weren't possible to be definitive then Sony wouldn't have been able to say that almost all of the top PS4 games would be backwardly compatible.

It is possible to be definitive but just like it is possible for ED to run better on the PS4 Pro, it requires some FDev to put some effort in and that's where the problem is as they're clearly not prepared to do so.

"Almost all". That's what they say. What do you suppose the keyword should be there?

Point is - nobody knows for sure yet. You've already highlighted the lack of commitment from Frontier on supporting new console hardware as it appears.

Take from all/any/almost all of it what you will. 🤷‍♀️

20200819_114732.jpg

Very disappointing. On the plus side, there's no need to rename this sub forum any more.

I just hope that my next XBsX will be able to show the same number of asteroids as the PC does.
They should at least enable this on the next gen consoles.

Going from memory...

MS has an in-house team of developers that will ensure games are backwards compatible.
Sony puts the onus on the original software developer.

What we need is confirmation of intent from the original software developer, Frontier.

Indeed, for PS i'm not certain, but for XB i have no doubts that ED will run on the consoles on release day.

The statement in itself doesn't make any sense.
For Gareth and Jonathon to state that it's not currently planed for the PS5 or XBox X series seems a strange choice of words, and I hope a misspeak.
Frontier must have looked at the two platforms, if only to ask the question - what percentage of our user base is likely to move to the new console and what will it take to put the game on the new console (revenue loss vs development cost)

I would fully suspect that it is on a whiteboard in an office somewhere with PS5 / XBox X Series - target date -???

1) The base console are effectively 'simple' PCs now, without a keyboard. - with a known set of specs
2) The PS5 / XBox X Series are more powerful 'PCS' without keyboard - with a known set of specs
3) ...and then you have PCs which are mis-mash of highstreet built, home built variations of GPU, CPU, Graphics cards, processor speeds etc.

to confirm 1) & 3) but not at least say that they will port the 1) code to the 2) estate seems a strange ommission

And it's not like frontier doesn't have next gen kits. Planet coaster was pushed back so it can launch on next gen console release.

This is extremely worrying to me and a reason why I will no longer support this game until clearification is made.

Top Bottom