Release [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

Hi. Yes, EDSM changed how it releases its nightly dump. It's now a zipped file with a different URL. Since that's hardcoded within CL I'll eventually have to do some re-coding of the downloader/updater to take this into account. So for now, the nightly dump updater doesn't work. However, CL2 still keeps track of systems you've visited, so the search still works for places you've been to.

o7

Cheers for the reply mate.I'm currently hunting Thargoids but installing Captain's Log has awakened a yearning to go exploring again, you'd have thought the run to Colonia and back in a naively piloted 24Ly Combat Krait would've have cured that but no apparently it didn't

Hi, I've used this app since I started exploring and find it invaluable, especially the overlay view.

I had a GPU crash a couple of weeks ago and as part of the fix had to reset my Windows 10 install. This of course meant re-installing this app. Apart from having a corrupt DB and needing to start from scratch it seemed to be working OK but I've noticed that the estimated scan value in the overlay no longer increases when I map a body, only when I "FSS" it. I've looked through the docs and settings but cannot see any reference to this. It used to work correctly before. Is this a problem in the app or in by ED settings somewhere?

Cheers!

Don't work

Captain's Log Version 2.1.7

ImportError
:
Could not resolve module sqlalchemy.ext.baked

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "functions\v2DBInterface.py", line 358, in add_or_modify_planet
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\attributes.py", line 229, in set
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\attributes.py", line 1060, in set
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\attributes.py", line 599, in get
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\strategies.py", line 623, in _load_for_state
File "<string>", line 1, in <lambda>
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\strategies.py", line 675, in _emit_lazyload
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\util\langhelpers.py", line 837, in getattr
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\strategies.py", line 646, in _memoized_attr__bakery
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\util\langhelpers.py", line 977, in getattr
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\util\langhelpers.py", line 975, in getattr

ImportError
:

V2DBInterface instantiated.
livegame=True
cl_data_dir = C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\CaptainsLog2
dbname = ***
Loading Jump Trip database : ***
start_journal_parser_thread: LOGFILESEARCHPATH =C:\Users\**\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Journal..log
Starting JournalParser, newest logfile = C:\Users\***\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Journal.200816120721.01.log
livegame=True
dbname = ***
----JournalParser instantiated with player journal file = C:\Users\***\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Journal.200816120721.01.log
livegame=True
dbname = ***
select_planet_in_planet_table() : looking for Body : Makalu ...
...found in row: 0, selecting.

File "functions\journalparser.py", line 234, in thread_loop
File "c:\python\32-bit\3.4\lib\encodings\cp1251.py", line 23, in decode

UnicodeDecodeError
:
'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x98 in position 1245: character maps to <undefined>

Don't work

ImportError
:

File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\attributes.py", line 229, in set
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\attributes.py", line 1060, in set
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\attributes.py", line 599, in get
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\strategies.py", line 623, in _load_for_state
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\strategies.py", line 675, in _emit_lazyload
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\util\langhelpers.py", line 837, in getattr
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\orm\strategies.py", line 646, in _memoized_attr__bakery
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\util\langhelpers.py", line 977, in getattr
File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\util\langhelpers.py", line 975, in getattr

ImportError
:

livegame=True
dbname = ***
start_journal_parser_thread: LOGFILESEARCHPATH =C:\Users\**\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Journal..log
Starting JournalParser, newest logfile = C:\Users\***\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Journal.200816120721.01.log
livegame=True
dbname = ***
----JournalParser instantiated with player journal file = C:\Users\***\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Journal.200816120721.01.log
livegame=True
dbname = ***

UnicodeDecodeError
:
'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x98 in position 1245: character maps to <undefined>
I’m not much past a beginning coder - but that looks like Python errors...Have you tried using the latest “beta” version - I have been using v2.1.8 beta5 since the beginning of the year with no issues:

https://captainslog.scarygliders.net/

Last edited:
Hi, I've used this app since I started exploring and find it invaluable, especially the overlay view.

I had a GPU crash a couple of weeks ago and as part of the fix had to reset my Windows 10 install. This of course meant re-installing this app. Apart from having a corrupt DB and needing to start from scratch it seemed to be working OK but I've noticed that the estimated scan value in the overlay no longer increases when I map a body, only when I "FSS" it. I've looked through the docs and settings but cannot see any reference to this. It used to work correctly before. Is this a problem in the app or in by ED settings somewhere?

Cheers!

Running 2.1.8 b5? Haven't heard of an error like that.

Don't work

ImportError
:

ImportError
:

livegame=True
dbname = ***
livegame=True
dbname = ***
livegame=True
dbname = ***

UnicodeDecodeError
:

Try installing 2.1.8b5.

Actually, this might genuinely be a unicode error, probably due to not expecting characters, perhaps, due to your locale, in which case I'd need to bugfix it, which won't be happening for a while.

The only error I'm having right now is not being able to run 3.0 yet :D
:ROFLMAO:

I have been busy porting CL2 to Qt5/PySide2 and have completed that. Then I've been trying to come up with a new way of packaging it. Then I need to do some bugfixing and other coding.

But there are some additional factors;

• I've been super-duper busy with paid work. That's a biggie. WHich has led to...
  • Burnout, which means the last thing I want to do is more coding after a busy work day ;)
  • and the final, rather yuge factor is; I've not been playing ED for a long, long time now. Burnt out with the game.

When I can muster the strength I'll get back on the case - perhaps the upcoming Odyessy release will rekindle interest, but for now, when even the thought of loading ED brings me out in hives, and combined with the other factors, I can't predict when there'll be another release. :/

:ROFLMAO:

I have been busy porting CL2 to Qt5/PySide2 and have completed that. Then I've been trying to come up with a new way of packaging it. Then I need to do some bugfixing and other coding.

But there are some additional factors;

• I've been super-duper busy with paid work. That's a biggie. WHich has led to...
  • Burnout, which means the last thing I want to do is more coding after a busy work day ;)
  • and the final, rather yuge factor is; I've not been playing ED for a long, long time now. Burnt out with the game.

When I can muster the strength I'll get back on the case - perhaps the upcoming Odyessy release will rekindle interest, but for now, when even the thought of loading ED brings me out in hives, and combined with the other factors, I can't predict when there'll be another release. :/
Fair enough!

Just so you know though, CL2 is still my primary real-time exploration tool, because I think it is just that awesome!

Genar -

Thank you for giving us an update -staying sane in these times is always prioroty 1!

Maybe food for thought: I saw you or someone else mention in the EDCD/CL2 channel about "the other big 3" ED Exploration apps cover much of what CL2 initially did....From my perspective - I use CL2 exclusively for scouting the best places for surface prospecting for synth materials - and also gives that wonderful snapshot of what bodies are worth mapping...

Assuming that everyone else uses the "other 3" for logging / note taking etc (that's what I do) - have you considered a maybe "lite" version - which would simply give the best synth prospecting & valuable planets features - so then its a more lightweight (and assuming easier b/c of no database management) "exploration on the fly" tool?

Just a thought - hope you pick up again when EDO drops...

o7

Genar -

Thank you for giving us an update -staying sane in these times is always prioroty 1!

Maybe food for thought: I saw you or someone else mention in the EDCD/CL2 channel about "the other big 3" ED Exploration apps cover much of what CL2 initially did....From my perspective - I use CL2 exclusively for scouting the best places for surface prospecting for synth materials - and also gives that wonderful snapshot of what bodies are worth mapping...

Assuming that everyone else uses the "other 3" for logging / note taking etc (that's what I do) - have you considered a maybe "lite" version - which would simply give the best synth prospecting & valuable planets features - so then its a more lightweight (and assuming easier b/c of no database management) "exploration on the fly" tool?

Just a thought - hope you pick up again when EDO drops...

o7
I do use the other apps as well, but as far as the whole jump into a system and honk then "at a glance" over view of the system, the Captins Log 2 dashboard is second to none with its clear, concise, readable "at a glance" presentation.

I've created a new and tentative beta release for testing - 2.2.0 beta 1.

See my Discord for the announcement. If you've not already joined, see my sig for the invite (tl;dr, it's https://discord.gg/F7CJDTM).

There's a zipped distribution too if you wish to test without uninstalling 2.1.8b5, and I produced an installer for 2.2.0b1; the installer version has an additional fix for a couple of text item fonts in the overlay.

Changelogs:

• Updated to use PySide2 and Qt5.
  • EDSM Nightly Dump import is working again
  • Added parsing of CarrierJump to JournalParser; will be treated as a FSDJump but with no distance jumped information. (The CarrierJump journal entry does not have distance jumped or fuel used because the ship is docked in a carrier when the carrier jumps.)
  • Version updated to 2.2.0 beta 1

And the installer version;
- Changed the font for the Estimated System Value in the Overlay so that all text fits and displays properly - Tentative change to the main window in that you are able to move its position after coming out of overlay mode, by clicking and dragging the window from, for example, the right-hand pane (where planet/star info appears).

o7 CMDRs

I am probably totally missing something right in front of me, but where is the 2.2.0 beta 1 available for download? I have looked all over the site and can't find it.

EDIT: Never mind. I found the link under the News section of the discord server.

Yeah I was also very confused since I never use Discord.
o7
The new version is great and now handles UTF-8 chat characters without trouble. Only two minor things I noticed:

1. The installer defaults to c:\program files\ and there is no way to change it. I'd like to suggest a portable version without a setup program as a feature request if I may.
2. The animation of the pie chart looks really neat the first time I see it but it takes a lot of system resources on my old PC. Is there a way to disable it?

Captain's Log 2 v2.2.0 full release now available.

Download from: https://captainslog.scarygliders.net/download/captains-log-2x/
Changelogs are also available on that page when you scroll down.

Recommend uninstalling your previously installed version before installing this one - you won't lose any data.

Please submit any issues/bug reports or support requests to the Captain's Log Discord , as that's where I'm - or others - are most likely to see them.

Regards,

Genar o7

Captain's Log 2 v2.2.1 now available. Fixes some things from the 2.2.0 release.

Download from: https://captainslog.scarygliders.net/download/captains-log-2x/

2.2.1 Changelog

- [FIX] Only end the nav beacon scan processing /after/ every item in the nav beacon scan has been accounted for. - [FIX] Ensure the display of the star system's information is refreshed after a nav beacon scan. - [MISC] Tweak the Jump Table's column widths to take into account longer system names and help to prevent the horizontal scroll bar appearing. - [FIX] When selecting an ELW which had been Terraformed from the Planet Table, the icon generator supplying the Planet Info widget didn't know about such types. - Version updated to 2.2.1

Recommend uninstalling your previously installed version before installing this one - you won't lose any data.

Please submit any issues/bug reports or support requests to the Captain's Log Discord , as that's where I'm - or others - are most likely to see them.

Regards,

Genar o7

Top Bottom