Frontier have anointed chosen ones again...

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiyBx1GHGFA&t=261s

I hope this time, they'll be upfront of any tribute or favours they receive as part of the program, and we don't end up in a situation where these guys are alienly positive about elite but reuse to explain anything about it for months / years.

ps. Having said, the guy from this video is alright. Just the right amount of edge, sounds like what the story dialog in elite should be.

Do people actually listen to influencers or "anointed" ones? I actively avoid almost all of them on Youtube.
I assume we will not find out the truth until actual normal, regular, real players get their hands on the game, or a beta comes out and I can see for myself.

The "influencer" is a tool for marketing. Like an ad. They appear to be "neutral" and that is their appeal for marketing. Also they often have more reach in the target aufience in these times where print media and "journalism" is generally on the decline. It is corp advertising disguised as word of mouth from you and me. Inluencers circumvent the usual accountability put in place for paid advertisment. If you keep that in mind you should be good.

I hope this time, they'll be upfront of any tribute or favours they receive as part of the program, and we don't end up in a situation where these guys are alienly positive about elite but reuse to explain anything about it for months / years.

ps. Having said, the guy from this video is alright. Just the right amount of edge, sounds like what the story dialog in elite should be.

Judging from this cmdr they've been given a welcome pack.
It's only marketing from FD and is aimed at prospective buyers rather than current players, so good luck to them.
(They'll need it if the new player experience is not what they've been lead to expect!)

The "influencer" is a tool for marketing. Like an ad. They appear to be "neutral" and that is their appeal for marketing. Also they often have more reach in the target aufience in these times where print media and "journalism" is generally on the decline. It is corp advertising disguised as word of mouth from you and me. Inluencers circumvent the usual accountability put in place for paid advertisment. If you keep that in mind you should be good.

Does anyone actually believe they are neutral though? Unless valid critique is also given, you're going to assume something distasteful about their relationship with a vendor.

Yeah something odd is that culture where they go on live and just talk to their chat, where the audience asks really obvious daft and common sense questions that surely must be there to increase the likelyhood of their name getting read out, then the content creator talks about the common denominator issue, reads out the persons name, and has waits for money to be thrown at him/her. These are really strange if you think about it. If there are people new to the content, those events are pretty good marketing im sure.

Judging from this cmdr they've been given a welcome pack.
It's only marketing from FD and is aimed at prospective buyers rather than current players, so good luck to them.
(They'll need it if the new player experience is not what they've been lead to expect!)

Wow, no way, i was talking in jest, i wasn't expecting that they would seriously get a few hundred dollars of free hardware (that id probably purchase in a heart beat but will never be able to).

Well, that's nice i guess.

Yeah will be interesting to see how many people admit to getting that pretty epic bribe. Im using this huge mechanical keyboard, and it no way fits between by hotas. Could really use one of those stream decks :p

Also, that there is proof of chosen ones. QED.

Last edited:
I think anyone who consumes influencer content and doesn't realise how the industry works at this point is a bit naive. In the UK at least there are clear regulations about sponsored content and incentives etc. and with those in place I very much welcome this kind of content because it gives us a better look into the release than relying on pure marketing content from Frontier alone. As always, the best thing to do is wait until after release and read the reviews/community impressions before making your purchase decision.

Wow, no way, i was talking in jest, i wasn't expecting that they would seriously get a few hundred dollars of free hardware (that id probably purchase in a heart beat but will never be able to).

Well, that's nice i guess.

Yeah will be interesting to see how many people admit to getting that pretty epic bribe. Im using this huge mechanical keyboard, and it no way fits between by hotas. Could really use one of those stream decks :p

Also, that there is proof of chosen ones. QED.
I went through a similar thing with Lego some years ago.
As an amateur it feels great to get free stuff - especially if it's exclusive - but not so fun when you get emails from the benefactor reducing your "allowance" or offering your competitors exclusive and more frequent deliveries as you were less enthusiastic about the product.

Ultimately you just have to assume that everything you read online is somehow paid for. As long as it's declared then you can make an informed decision about the information.

There are laws regarding taking payment for streamers. this would probably mean that every ED stream (or maybe any FDev game?) need to be marked as sponsored, even after they are no longer in the program potentially - seems a long time to sell your soul 🤷‍♂️

Do people actually listen to influencers or "anointed" ones? I actively avoid almost all of them on Youtube.
I assume we will not find out the truth until actual normal, regular, real players get their hands on the game, or a beta comes out and I can see for myself.

I think they do listen to them, I often see comments like 'Well, Obsidian Ant says so..', as though somehow making YT videos is akin to having a degree on the subject. Yamiks gets quoted the same way, though he brings more criticism.

That people make a lot of videos, that presumably earns them enough money to call it 'a living', seems to get conflated into the idea that they're professionals and so have a better insight than us amateurs.

I watch Obsidian Ant, neutral ? Of course he's not, neither am I. We're huge FANS of ED !
But his ED(and other games) content saves me lots of time trawling the net, here, AXI forum, Buckyball and all other ED/gaming channels. :)

Deleted member 38366

D
I'm sometimes not sure if those Video Producers know what they're getting into.

As soon as Money or Hardware flows, they made a deal with the devil.
And on top, they're instantly losing Credibility. Recouping that is often next to impossible...

Top Bottom