Frontier have anointed chosen ones again...

FD can pay whoever they want with what ever they want as far as I am concerned (so long as it's legal) however on the flip side any person who is talking about ED and what they think of it imo owe it to their viewers to let them know they have been paid/rewarded by FD for their streams.
This does NOT invalidate everything they say but I just think punters should know.
I disagree. Anyone who gets bribed with expensive goodies to stream a game has no valid opinion of said game in my eyes, regardless of whether they speak the truth or toe the company line. I'll watch the game itself for clues as to what it contains, but the streamer playing it may as well be muted ( and most likely will be ).

Hey All,

Firstly

It has come to my attention that there is talk of content creators and influencers having access to an ’Alpha program’ with regards to Odyssey.

I want to be clear that there is no such program in place at Frontier.

Working with content creators.

Part of my role at Frontier is working with existing and NEW content creators to spread the reach of Elite Dangerous and news regarding it.

Some of these initiatives are already in place and we are already working with creators to that end, as you may or may not have seen.

If you are interested in collaborating with us, Stephen posted in the forums (see link) in order for you to supply your details so we can take a look at your work.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/livestream-update-08-20.553150/page-2#post-8665685

There have been a lot of questions around what the criteria is for being considered and the short answer is there is nothing set. We look for creators that fit the initiative we are currently working on. If you are not selected, this is in no way a reflection on your work or our support of you.

This is a long road and we are only just beginning; a large part of the reason for switching the Elite Dangerous stream back to its own channels was, in large, due to our wish to support the community via hosting streams.

There are so many of our community that are truly talented and we are honestly flattered that you would like to work with us - where and when we can, we will find ways to do this.

-Arf

Speaking of switching the Elite Dangerous stream back to its own channel... Any ideas why Frontier stopped streaming on the Elite Dangerous YouTube channel and is now only doing so on Twitch?
I noticed the VODs have gone up on the YouTube channel, but you guys used to host the streams there live too.

I spent the weekend hauling manure in the back of an old C-max - not strictly E : D but it reminded me of doing missions involving biowaste and my old hauler.
If you think it'll help sell a few more copies of Odyssey I'm happy to fire up the old JVC camcorder and video myself chatting about it when I go next - obviously I'll expect a crackajack pencil or similar contribution in return.

They might send you a burlap sack or two to aid your haulage...

Deleted member 182079

D
If anything, i would really like to know if you sent the yamicks one :) Can't wait for his next video if you did (or did not). heh heh heh
I suppose the question is whether you as a publicly traded company selling a PEGI 7 rated game want to be represented by / associated with a potty mouthed Youtuber whose content is focused on (not always objectively) criticizing your product and delivering that through ample use of cringeworthy, forced toilet humour. And looking through the comments section of a recent video it's just a circle jerk of negativity in there, so what exactly could be gained from including him in this initiative.

Unless FD believe he can be flipped:) But even if that worked, he'd likely lose a large part of his audience for 'selling out'.

I suppose the question is whether you as a publicly traded company selling a PEGI 7 rated game want to be represented by / associated with a potty mouthed Youtuber whose content is focused on (not always objectively) criticizing your product and delivering that through ample use of cringeworthy, forced toilet humour. And looking through the comments section of a recent video it's just a circle jerk of negativity in there, so what exactly could be gained from including him in this initiative.

Unless FD believe he can be flipped:) But even if that worked, he'd likely lose a large part of his audience for 'selling out'.

He's just done a (paid for) review for CCP's mobile version of EVE, and you should see the comments there... 😄

He was completely up-front from the start that this was a paid review & he was trying to be nice. Although he did say he liked it anyway, regardless of the cash CCP threw his way.

If Yamiks isn't sold to FDev, I won't be disappointed. Yes he shouts and swears a lot, but at least he is honest unlike many Youtubers who come across as being something of FDev apologists these days.

The trouble is, we already have that film and its called Threads. Straight faced nuclear apocalypse to the face...

The beginning of that had this spoken piece, it was later used by a punk band called Conflict on one of their tracks. The very BBC sounding man says this:

"In an urban society, everything connects. Each person's needs are fed by the skills of many others. Our lives are woven together in a fabric. But the connections that make society strong also make it vulnerable."

It was supposed to be a sombre warning. The thing is, when you are against most things in society and that hits your 18yo ears, it sounds like he's giving you hints what to do. I still listen to that track.

Hi all,

I'm just going to stick my opinion in here (where it's not welcome 😉 ) and say that the phrase "content creator" is overused. I haven't read anything anyone else has posted, I'm just replying to what @Arthur Tolmie posted really.

There are many great content creators for ED, but I don't get the impression that this is what FDev are talking about, I feel they're talking more about streamers (I would be very happy to be corrected). The vast majority of streamers aren't content creators, they are just presenting content created by other people. Real content are things like the short stories which people present in video, audio or text; creations like the various ED databases on the web; artists creating pictures inspired by ED. That's real new content which complements ED, not yet-another-streamer.

Mini-rant over, I really hope that FDev are working with real content creators and not just a bunch of influencers.

Cheers 🙂

Deleted member 182079

D
He's just done a (paid for) review for CCP's mobile version of EVE, and you should see the comments there... 😄

He was completely up-front from the start that this was a paid review & he was trying to be nice. Although he did say he liked it anyway, regardless of the cash CCP threw his way.

If Yamiks isn't sold to FDev, I won't be disappointed. Yes he shouts and swears a lot, but at least he is honest unlike many Youtubers who come across as being something of FDev apologists these days.
He may well be honest when it comes to paid "reviews" (calling them advertisements would probably be fairer) but whenever I watch his content it feels like faux-outrage to me that is a cynical way to generate clicks. So based on that impression, and now also on the fact he's open to blatant PR exercises such as the above actually diminishes his credibility in my book even further🤷‍♂️.

Though I don't really follow any Youtubers religiously anyways - there are a bunch that I trust when it comes to game reviews, others simply provide entertaining content to consume, and out of the Elite ones I still prefer OA when it comes to game related news - he does criticise the game/FD when it's justified but just does it in a much more polite way - maybe too polite for some to notice - and I usually make up my own mind up anyways with regards to Elite's current and future direction based on what's published (or not) by FDev themselves.

Elite content creators are useful for summarising updates especially when you haven't been up to date with the game for a while, but since I'm still playing and following news on an almost daily basis I don't really rely on them all that much these days. YMMV of course.

He may well be honest when it comes to paid "reviews" (calling them advertisements would probably be fairer) but whenever I watch his content it feels like faux-outrage to me that is a cynical way to generate clicks. So based on that impression, and now also on the fact he's open to blatant PR exercises such as the above actually diminishes his credibility in my book even further🤷‍♂️.

I'm not exactly holding Yamiks up as a paragon of virtue or even someone you should listen to or take seriously. Nevertheless, his videos are entertaining - at least to me.

Given the choice, I would prefer to hear his views on Odyssey and E: D generally without a freebie or cash from FDev coming his way which would temper it & make me question the validity of it. If FDev's goal is to hoover up all the main E: D Youtubers, then to me that says, let's not bother watching any of them. 🤷‍♀️

Which would be a shame from my point of view, because I often find them entertaining. Same with OA... but there's a reason why I no longer contribute to his Patreon.

Though I don't really follow any Youtubers religiously anyways - there are a bunch that I trust when it comes to game reviews, others simply provide entertaining content to consume, and out of the Elite ones I still prefer OA when it comes to game related news - he does criticise the game/FD when it's justified but just does it in a much more polite way - maybe too polite for some to notice - and I usually make up my own mind up anyways with regards to Elite's current and future direction based on what's published (or not) by FDev themselves.

Elite content creators are useful for summarising updates especially when you haven't been up to date with the game for a while, but since I'm still playing and following news on an almost daily basis I don't really rely on them all that much these days. YMMV of course.

I don't play E: D at all any more, so I'm only casually "keeping up" through this forum and the various Youtubers on the off chance that Frontier actually do something good.

Like you, I'm hardly religious about it. I'll get Odyssey anyway (x2) because of the LEPs I've got, and I'll make my own mind up when the time comes.

As far as game reviews go, there's maybe only one or two that I would seek out. But I would actively avoid any that I know have been "bought". Because that's not even entertainment.

The beginning of that had this spoken piece, it was later used by a punk band called Conflict on one of their tracks. The very BBC sounding man says this:

"In an urban society, everything connects. Each person's needs are fed by the skills of many others. Our lives are woven together in a fabric. But the connections that make society strong also make it vulnerable."

It was supposed to be a sombre warning. The thing is, when you are against most things in society and that hits your 18yo ears, it sounds like he's giving you hints what to do. I still listen to that track.

I read your post in the voice of the announcer which makes it doubly scary.

Deleted member 182079

D
I'm not exactly holding Yamiks up as a paragon of virtue or even someone you should listen to or take seriously. Nevertheless, his videos are entertaining - at least to me.

Given the choice, I would prefer to hear his views on Odyssey and E: D generally without a freebie or cash from FDev coming his way which would temper it & make me question the validity of it. If FDev's goal is to hoover up all the main E: D Youtubers, then to me that says, let's not bother watching any of them. 🤷‍♀️

Which would be a shame from my point of view, because I often find them entertaining. Same with OA... but there's a reason why I no longer contribute to his Patreon.

I don't play E: D at all any more, so I'm only casually "keeping up" through this forum and the various Youtubers on the off chance that Frontier actually do something good.

Like you, I'm hardly religious about it. I'll get Odyssey anyway (x2) because of the LEPs I've got, and I'll make my own mind up when the time comes.

As far as game reviews go, there's maybe only one or two that I would seek out. But I would actively avoid any that I know have been "bought". Because that's not even entertainment.
Different tastes then which is perfectly fine of course:)

From a narrow Elite perspective, neither of the content creators will convince me to, or prevent me from buying Odyssey - I will wait until FDev have shared all the details but given this is my most-played game of all time it's safe to say I will buy it regardless as it's new content that is mostly aligned with what I consider fun in a game (based on what we've seen so far, which isn't much to be fair). The only reason not to buy it would be if they charged a ridiculous price for it or it would be so utterly broken that it affects the main game also. In which case I would either wait for a sale or until things get fixed.

I do see some value in "bought" Youtuber videos by the way - simply if I want to see game features in action, i.e. not whether they're good but how they work in practice and how it all looks and sounds which is difficult to judge based on screenshots or trailers.

As for proper reviews, I tend to watch at least half a dozen different channels before I make up my mind - having been burned by biased professional reviews in the past made me quite careful like that, and so far I've steered clear of proper duds. We've never had it so good when it comes to researching things; just need to be able to weed out (and ignore) the shills really.

In yamicks latest video, his voice almost sounds like obsidian ant. I bet he got one.

Top Bottom