THE FORMIDINE RIFT MYSTERY (Part 4)

making 20 fc jumps once every few years is not a hardship. The benefit of the role playing in having your own secret mining location more than makes up for it. Just park it out there, mine away for a month or so. ...bring it back ...then go off and do whatever it is that can be done in the endless emptiness of useless system after useless system out in the black. Come back to the mining location when bored again. repeat. buy your alt's alt their own carrier too.

I wouldn't even post the tritium overlaps found. Keep it all to yourself or your crew. It's the only and last vestige of gameplay offered by the vast unpopulated systems of the galaxy. Reporting them just ends whatever interesting use they had. The game doesn't benefit from exposing what you find ...it just becomes less interesting.

making 20 fc jumps once every few years is not a hardship. The benefit of the role playing in having your own secret mining location more than makes up for it. Just park it out there, mine away for a month or so. ...bring it back ...then go off and do whatever it is that can be done in the endless emptiness of useless system after useless system out in the black. Come back to the mining location when bored again. repeat. buy your alt's alt their own carrier too.

I wouldn't even post the tritium overlaps found. Keep it all to yourself or your crew. It's the only and last vestige of gameplay offered by the vast unpopulated systems of the galaxy. Reporting them just ends whatever interesting use they had. The game doesn't benefit from exposing what you find ...it just becomes less interesting.
Well, if you're happy spending hours jumping to say a Palladium mining location, in truth no different to one ten minutes out of the bubble, fair enough...

Personally I'd prefer X hours spent on something more engaging than waiting for 20 jumps...

Well if hotspots degraded to just be ring standard as used, and the nerf hammer hadn’t been smacked down. Finding your own personal triple 10-20 jumps out would have been very nice and a useful goal for exploring. But as nerfed and endless, pointless

In reality, it would take a very very long number of years to drain a ring of minerals. The spots wouldn't shrink as fast as some might imagine.

In other news -
Anyone want me to check out anything while I'm around Eafots? I don't know when I'll move along. My next planned stop is the edge of the galaxy to see some gyre trees, but I have time. I'm in no rush.

In reality, it would take a very very long number of years to drain a ring of minerals. The spots wouldn't shrink as fast as some might imagine.

In other news -
Anyone want me to check out anything while I'm around Eafots? I don't know when I'll move along. My next planned stop is the edge of the galaxy to see some gyre trees, but I have time. I'm in no rush.
I am in Syreadiae JX-F c0. We can meet and think about what to do next... Or join us in this topic: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/glorious-hips-3306.549030/
fr.jpg

Last edited:
Well if hotspots degraded to just be ring standard as used, and the nerf hammer hadn’t been smacked down. Finding your own personal triple 10-20 jumps out would have been very nice and a useful goal for exploring. But as nerfed and endless, pointless
Indeed, some solid thought to hotspots could have made them far more engaging and meaningful.

In other news -

But I am not suggesting the ring drops from Pristine to Depleted quickly, just the hotspot, bit like the rich veins of gold or chunks of it simply sitting around waiting waiting to be picked up from streams caused the quickest gains at the start of a gold rush, before it became more of a slog, and then eventually years later gradually played out for all mining

You know what is weird about the list of glyphs? The shapes look similar to the letters on the opposite column.
Nice spot, but it’s not weird at all. It’s a combo of stylised letters and a ROT 13 cypher. The table just shows the final result not the intermediate stages.

(Just to elaborate in case that doesn’t make immediate sense, ROT 13 shifts every letter by 13 places in the alphabet. If you do a table of it, A=N, B=O, C=P, etc. On top of that letter swapping via the cypher, a specially designed esoteric typeface has also been used.)

Nice spot, but it’s not weird at all. It’s a combo of stylised letters and a ROT 13 cypher. The table just shows the final result not the intermediate stages.

(Just to elaborate in case that doesn’t make immediate sense, ROT 13 shifts every letter by 13 places in the alphabet. If you do a table of it, A=N, B=O, C=P, etc. On top of that letter swapping via the cypher, a specially designed esoteric typeface has also been used.)
A few years ago, Drew's profile had a hint:
first: EB P 1 26 13
then it changed to: RO C 26 13

Last edited:
Yeah, 1 26 13 is saying ‘A-Z adjusted by 13’, or ‘use ROT 13 cypher’.

EB P (ROT 13) = RO C
You seem to be an expert in this. Let's decipher and find what everyone has been looking for for many years. I'm sitting in the Rift right now and I can check any guess.

You seem to be an expert in this. Let's decipher and find what everyone has been looking for for many years. I'm sitting in the Rift right now and I can check any guess.
Sorry didn't get back about the join the hips discussion. Not sure what hips has to do with formadine rift.

I largely ignored this mystery because it was associated with some former senator who said things so cryptic as to be a waste of my time.
Since I was out this way, I visited the sites and am intrigued by where this earthlike might be where these guys tried to escape to when the ships broke down.

I also don't get on a lot during the week. Just kind of moseying about the sites. I thought of going to zazura but its far off in the opposite direction that I was planning next. One of the recordings had a guy stuck in a low jump range sidewinder. She ( I think it was a she) couldn't have then jumped way out there to the actual edge of the galaxy. Still, no inhabited or ruin bearing earthlikes in the vicinity that I know of. Which, admittedly isn't a lot.

At some point, I plan to go to a "center point" of the discovered guardian ruins to see if anything is there, that's on the opposite side of the bubble from the rift, though and far far off in the future.

Daaaammmn is this mystery still on going? Im back after a 2 year haitus and this is the first place i thought of. Dare i ask but... whats new? Any kind soul willing to give me a very basic catch up..

Greetings Commanders,
Last week I embarked on my first ever exploration trip.
I kitted out a Krait Phantom and headed off to see Barnard's Loop, which was nothing short of spectacular.
I wasn't sure where to go from there so giving the Galaxy Map a cursory glance I find the Soul Nebula.
I think to myself "Hey that sounds cool, lets go check that out!"
Little did I know the enormity of the rabbit hole which I was fast approaching.
Two days ago I found the Rift Stations in EAFOD and having read through the downloaded data-banks (multiple times I might add),
I was convinced of the existence of a nearby Earth like world with evidence of a sidewinder, so I started looking.
I soon realize that this is a needle in haystack kind of situation, and so a few short minutes with google lead me here,
to what is undoubtedly one of the coolest little corners of the internet I've ever seen.
And so while I apologize for a lengthy post I must commend the dedication and hard work put in by so many of you and express my gratitude.
I will be entering the Formadine Rift tonight and will spend approximately one week exploring there.
If I find anything of interest I'll be sure to bring it to your attention, and also if anyone wants anything checked out here, just let me know.
o7 Commanders! :cool:

The Rift Mystery was solved long ago in spring of 2017. I'm unsure why this thread still exists.
It is a fascinating tale of the community working together to solve and uncover a big and random and shoddy story of nothing before we all understood how bad Frontier was at making nothingburgers. Events that were out of order and solved by sheer will of genius commanders with the underlying story being useless and terrible. A testament to how good the community is and how absolutely useelss the devs are.

Except Frontier did not create the Rift mystery, or the surrounding story. Events were certainly not "out of order" either, whatever that means. Were you around and participating during those days? I ask as your description of events does not coinside with how it unfolded durng that time. There were indeed many intelligent minds working the clues and riddles at the time, and the final clue was solved by our group, which lead up to the premonition event in April, 2017 (Also run by our group in conjuction with author Drew Wagar, again, nothing to do with FDev). It's still widely considered one of the better community events in Elite's history (regardless of outcome). Once that event concluded, so to did the mystery of the Formidine Rift.

Last edited:
I didn't say they created it. Nothing is in the game that the devs didn't put there. It was written by Drew and put in the game, broken, by FDev. So broken it was all found by brute fore and out-of-order.

It is a fascinating tale of the community working together to solve and uncover a big and random and shoddy story of nothing before we all understood how bad Frontier was at making nothingburgers. Events that were out of order and solved by sheer will of genius commanders with the underlying story being useless and terrible. A testament to how good the community is and how absolutely useelss the devs are.
I didn't say they created it. Nothing is in the game that the devs didn't put there. It was written by Drew and put in the game, broken, by FDev. So broken it was all found by brute fore and out-of-order.
Eh?

Top Bottom