Game Discussions Whats the buggiest game you ever played ?.

Frontier First Encounters for me.
It was released (and I bought it) very quickly before any game reviews were printed - and those reviewers had all been promised that the many bugs would be fixed prior to launch (they weren't).

It was so bad that I promised myself not to be suckered into buying another game in the Elite series before at least reading reviews - then 15 years later (or whatever) I'm like: "WOW KICKSTARTER FOR A NEW ELITE GAME!!!!!!"

Anyway it worked out much better for me this time, the bugs haven't really affected my gameplay much in the nearly six years I've been playing. So ED is probably my favourite game ever.

BTW: Am I remembering correctly that in the initial released version of FFE the NPC ships couldn't actually damage you? It suddenly got way harder after the patch! 😆

Not the most buggiest, but Black and White was the most frustrating for me.

There was a level where your avatar got hit with a shrinking effect as part of the story, which you are meant to be able to cure. However, there was a bug where it didn't stop you shrinking. Unfortunately i passed that point without knowing it and overwrote my saves from prior to that point. When i read about it and how to avoid the bug, it was already too late. Too many hours invested in the game and no way to go back. I just quit.

Turned me off getting B&W2 as well.

Most buggiest game that was on my radar was Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory, which was released for something like one day and then got pulled (something like a year or two ago) as it was so buggy you couldn't even finish the game.

Worst I ever played was a highly anticipated title back in the day called "boiling point" a sort of open world FPS set in a south american country. It released with the buggiest gameplay I ever experienced. I dont know if it's been mentioned in the last pages but that one was a really nasty game.

UMS2 didnt work so well out of the box on Amiga. I hot-seated Universal Military Simulator 1 a lot with friends. I had to send a dollar or two by mail to the US, wait for weeks until customs would write me they have impounded a mail to me. I had to go to next large city and declare to customs that it was an update to a paid product to receive the patch diskette. I didnt help much in the end.

Elite First Encounters without a doubt.

Jet set willy 2 on the speccy only had 1 bug but it meant the game was unfinishable

MSR on the Dreamcast was playable but had enough bugs that they did a product recall and shipped me out a new copy of the game.

But Elite 1st encounters is the run away "winner" here.

Fallout 4.
Man, I made myself a very nice house. And in the "kitchen" I placed bathtub. I spent a lot of time to fill it with nuka cola quantum bottles. After a long brake I loaded the save and I saw that only few bottles left :( All my cola dissapeared. I am devastated to this day :( Also my set of billard balls dissapeared.

Worst I ever played was a highly anticipated title back in the day called "boiling point" a sort of open world FPS set in a south american country. It released with the buggiest gameplay I ever experienced. I dont know if it's been mentioned in the last pages but that one was a really nasty game.

I played boiling point, I actually liked the game even though it was a huge buggy mess. I think it was already quite old and I got it cheap so I wasn't that bothered by the bugs,and some of the worst ones had been patched

Deleted member 182079

D
Fallout New Vegas on PS3.

It was the first console game that gave me a nice early PC era vibe, constant hard freezes (to the point where I was genuinely worried that it would break the console... which is still soldiering on today to be fair (y)), plenty of game breaking bugs, and it ran like a dog just to add insult to injury, without the ability to address that by throwing money in the form of hardware upgrades at it. Complete trainwreck.

I have it on Steam now and it performs like a charm... but hasn't aged too well in terms of visuals and art design... gameplay is still pretty good though.

The other game I will never forget is Starflight for the C64. One of the very few games I purchased with my pocket money, it was basically DOA - I could load it to some point, but then it would just crash at the same spot. That one really hurt as there was no other way to play it back then. Got my second chance on the Mega Drive years later, pretty good game.

I played boiling point, I actually liked the game even though it was a huge buggy mess. I think it was already quite old and I got it cheap so I wasn't that bothered by the bugs,and some of the worst ones had been patched

Maybe aye. On release it was batshit funny for bugs. It did however at the time show a lot of how the gaming future would be as we have it these days, with the open world ideas it had and all that.

Played System Shock on floppy version. I got stuck at some maintenance lift. Might be due to me overlooking somthing - might have been a bug. I will probably never know.

I played that game to the end, and just like Frontier First Encounter you had to have like 1000 saves in several branches to ensure you eventually would be able to get to the end without a fatal bug putting you back to square one. Those were the days...

:D S

Mentioned Hidden & Dangerous, System Shock and FFE were pretty bad as noted. Also reminds me of TES Daggerfall. Modern Bethesda games are a cakewalk compared to that lovable mess.

It has to be the original DayZ.
It had so many bugs you needed to be aware of and circumvent, it became an integral part of being successful to know them all. But it was brilliant, and one of the best multiplayer experiences I've had!

Deleted member 182079

D
Loved that game, sort of a proto-Mass Effect :)
I used to read the reviews and walkthroughs of the PC/Amiga version in my favourite monthly game mag, and a dream came true when I found out it got released on my platform the C64 as well (the other two were out of my reach, only the "rich" kids in my class owned them but they weren't interested in those kind of games). Only for that dream to be crushed again when I realised the game was a complete dud from a technical perspective. Bought through mail order (back then I had to call phone numbers of retailers that often didn't even have a shop, based in the larger cities so couldn't return it without a lot of hassle).

Those were the days...

Top Bottom