Interiors, why?

TBH most boarding would likely be PvE actions just because of numbers so there would always be at least NPC targets in open or solo.

When and if it comes, ship boarding is going to be awesome for the PvP crowd (or solo pirates). A high risk, high reward scenario. If for example you disable someone's ship and you do decide to jetpack over there, they will have an equal chance of popping you in the head with a rifle when you board. Winner gets all, alot of money to be made 😆.

When and if it comes, ship boarding is going to be awesome for the PvP crowd (or solo pirates). A high risk, high reward scenario. If for example you disable someone's ship and you do decide to jetpack over there, they will have an equal chance of popping you in the head with a rifle when you board. Winner gets all, alot of money to be made 😆.
Hubs serve a clear purpose. Ship inzeriors dont.

Just having ship interiors would wear off rather quick, but imagine not having hatchbreaker limpets so you board the enemy ship to release their cargo.
In addition, the NPC crew you hire can have a new role without the need of SLF.
They can pilot the ship while you board the enemy ship. If there's new gameplay that comes with it, it would make a lot of sense.

I'm much more interested in that than having to walk on desolate planets, imo that will wear off much faster than being on foot in ships.

Hubs serve a clear purpose. Ship inzeriors dont.

Ship exteriors dont serve a clear purpose, especially cosmetics, but FDev have made serious ££ from cosmetics, so ship interiors could serve a solid financial purpose let alone the hours of "gameplay" we could enjoy with them too.

Interiors dont need to serve a purpose is my point, its a sandbox, we can figure out what to do with them, just like the dusty moons they rendered in game with zero biological or geolocial items on them and nothing but flat terrain, yet some people spend days on those dusty rocks.

and i suppose we will never know that purpose. Great debate, thanks for turning up and discussing it.
If you played more combat you might now why. I concede though that with the advent of power creep visually identifying your targets has made way to wail on BVR clay-pigeons with overpowered weapons. Back in the day Mk1 eyeball was still useful for threat identification.

Interiors dont need to serve a purpose is my point, its a sandbox, we can figure out what to do with them, just like the dusty moons they rendered in game with zero biological or geolocial items on them and nothing but flat terrain, yet some people spend days on those dusty rocks.
I'm confused. So with no engaging mechanics (purpose), ship interiors surely risk dissolving into, (a) taking some screen shots, (b) walking around a ship interior clockwise, (c) walking around a ship interior anticlockwise?

And for most CMDRs I'd suggest (a), (b) and (c) risk quickly wearing thin and not being used very much... imho.

Also, and I mean that is so obvious - I shouldn't need to mention it - but hey, we live in different times:

The hitbox is determined by the ship shape. The ship shape and the exterior go hand in hand.

I don't know. Sometimes I think the whole world rather regresses with knowledge and smartness.

Also, and I mean that is so obvious - I shouldn't need to mention it - but hey, we live in different times:

The hitbox is determined by the ship shape. The ship shape and the exterior go hand in hand.

I don't know. Sometimes I think the whole world rather regresses with knowledge and smartness.
yes because spoilers and paint packs alter hit boxes, we live in different realities indeed.

I'm confused. So with no engaging mechanics (purpose), ship interiors surely risk dissolving into, (a) taking some screen shots, (b) walking around a ship interior clockwise, (c) walking around a ship interior anticlockwise?

And for most CMDRs I'd suggest (a), (b) and (c) risk quickly wearing thin and not being used very much... imho.

whats the purpose of a dusty moon with no features, and no biological or geological features? or a planet you cant even land on for that matter?

We don't really need it... Just players with the biggest ships want to spend a few hours to walk around some empty cargo bays..
But it will come in time and probably change every aspect of the ship, its cosmetics and gameplay in and around the ship
.... I'm imaging something like sea of thieves in space.

The only thing I think anyone noticed about ship exteriors impacting game play much is the T7 being a large ship because it's 1m too tall :D

Seriously though, it's a bit of a pointless argument. It's pretty obvious that interiors could house excellent game play subjectively. Much like any part of any game could. It's equally obvious some don't want it (like, at all), some only want it when there's enough engaging content to warrant it (I put myself in that group) and some want it just to have it.

None of the people in disparate groups will ever agree with the others, not fully anyway. But I'm pretty sure we'll get interiors at some point. Odyssey will be a huge mile marker towards that day, no doubt. Maybe when it's a reality some of us might be around to argue more about what's "fun" and what's 'terrible"

I'm happy to see this thread has produced quite a lot of ideas though. So thanks to the op for that.

whats the purpose of a dusty moon with no features, and no biological or geological features? or a planet you cant even land on for that matter?
For views and 'atmosphere'? The challenge of driving an SRV to a location? Ultimately, to find a location/view that is unlike something you've seen before.

And of course building in more and more layers to this experience (as CMDRs have been asking for now for half a decade) such as clouds, weather, rain (of varying element types), snow (of varying element types), aurora, storms, thunder & lightening, rivers and seas (of varying element types), and plant life based on a solid procedural engine, etc would all add more variety and 'atmosphere' to exploration.

But, once I've walked around my ship a few times, clockwise and anticlockwise, how 'atmospheric' is it going to be to find the same chair in the same place for 5th time? Likewise with a station interior?

Hence why I'd much rather FD dedicated time to adding those layers of depth to planet surfaces, than allowing me to walk around stations and ships.

I'll place a good bet that for most CMDRs station and ship interiors will prove of little interest after a few hours of novelty. Indeed, if CMDRs have to walk to a location to get to a mission board and the like, instead of at a key press, it'll even prove an annoyance to them.

Varied content that actually ties the artist to concrete gameplay instead of incredibly laborious eye candy.

Look ok, if the walking around means in the already existing cockpits without bulkheads, it’s somewhat not that big of a deal... if you expect long strolls in a 150meters ships in a fully created unique level then it is a terrible idea.

Your argument hold no water really. Laborious eye candy is what cockpits are anyway. Why not have just the HUD and save more time on ship creation rather than waste time modelling intricate cockpits? Cockpit view are not actually needed for gameplay in any shape or form, all the info hud/gui elements we need are identical for every ship so why does FD bother?

Personally I don't see the point in having the ships "fully" fleshed out, but at the very least from pilots seat to SRV/SLF/Ship exit should be modelled for the player to walk if they wish (and those that don't can still "teleport" (or whatever FD will call it) as the game is now). I'm hoping that FD will do what I say above at some point and maybe carry on modelling the rest of the interiors over the course of the DLC support if players want it.

Top Bottom