What did you do in Planet Zoo today?

Love how you can see the cherry tree from their shelter @Urufu1997 . Well done scenery.
And I spy horse models in the back :D
I didn't create the Horses myself. They are from the Workshop. The Giant Panda Statues show where I want to build the Enclosure for the Giant Pandas😉🐼
I just fear that it might be a bit difficult to see them in the Enclosure when there are only 2 (I've made the Island a bit too big). According to Wikipedia they are also rarely living in small Groups so I think the Group Size for them should be higher than only 2. Seems like I've expected that Giant Pandas normally don't live in such big Groups (also looked up the Group Size for them because I've planned to add them at the End of the Garden). Maybe they somehow confused them and gave the Red Panda the Group Size of the Giant Panda and the Giant Panda the Group Size of the Red Panda🤔

Last edited:
Before work I decided to re-plan workzones. Mine are too big and it leads to problems. You really need one keeperhut for two habitats, or that is how it feels.
Wanted to play after work, but had to even stop working early, because I have a stiff neck... again. Sitting at the PC is tremendously painful, but I am soooo frustrated to take a gaming break.

I have about four zoos on the go at the moment but there is one that I am trying to keep as my base zoo which will grow and change as time goes by and new animals are introduced to the game. It's a medium sized zoo with a forest feel inspired by central European zoos. I was hoping to have it ready by the time the Australia pack came out but that didn't happen. Progress was stalled for a while but I completed the first enclosure for giant anteaters today and I'm really pleased with it.

I have about four zoos on the go at the moment but there is one that I am trying to keep as my base zoo which will grow and change as time goes by and new animals are introduced to the game. It's a medium sized zoo with a forest feel inspired by central European zoos. I was hoping to have it ready by the time the Australia pack came out but that didn't happen. Progress was stalled for a while but I completed the first enclosure for giant anteaters today and I'm really pleased with it.
Care to share a pic? Could use some inspiratuin, I need to re-do my anteater cappuchin monkey habitat soon.

Care to share a pic? Could use some inspiratuin, I need to re-do my anteater cappuchin monkey habitat soon.

Of course. The excellent shelter is by @aim_foliksta as shown here.

50371621441_195c698f8d_c.jpg
50371780367_838da52457_c.jpg
50371780232_d852517266_c.jpg
50371780042_ddcd756da3_c.jpg
50371779867_128f61136e_c.jpg

Love it. These kind of Zoos are called Tierpark here. Low budget and often in or around a forest, very natural made. Love especially that you used those logs to keep people on a distant.

Thanks. I have been to 17 zoos in Germany and it's inspired by some of them, also zoos in the Czech Republic which I haven't visited although I have seen many pictures.

I haven't done it yet but if I feel up to it after sitting in a chair for 8 hours, I'm going to work on my second attempt at a CC farm, focusing only on gharials. I think that'll be a species to give a good return on investment.

I finished off my antelope section last night but came back to it this morning and decided (halfway through filling a gap with a flamingo habitat) that it doesn't actually fit my vision. So I guess tonight or tomorrow morning I'll send all those antelope to the trade centre and start from scratch. It was all just a little bit too small and a fraction too 'dusty' - I used a mix of light soil and sand for the terrain paint to give it that "savannah" feel, but now I think short grass would contrast far more nicely with the desert rocks I used to decorate it.

I've also realised that the rockwork around my chimpanzee habitat (I really need to grab some screenshots of it, I'm super proud of it) is all in temperate rocks, which was a mistake. I should have used the same desert rocks I'm using for the rest of the 'Africa' section (and I'm trying to reserve my use of temperate rocks for the 'natural' rocks around the zoo, whereas the ones around these habitats are supposed to be artificial/transplanted). So I might end up redoing the rockwork there as well (won't be too bad - there is one spot where in real life the chimps would be able to escape, so I want to remedy that anyway (they can't escape in-game, but it still bugs me looking at it 😅 )).

I also did finish off my 'staff hub' main building as well. I just need to build a sort of roadway around it and throw down some props. I fashioned it after the warehouse where I currently work.

So, after redoing the antelope area, and redoing the rockwork around the chimps, my next project is to finish off the flamingo pond, and then do the Kopje section. I'm contemplating incorporating the Nile monitors into that area as well, but I'm not very good (read: terrible) at building non-square-edged buildings and a big unnatural-looking indoor habitat sticking out of the Kopje might be an eyesore. We'll see though.

I re-did all workzones, fired a lot of staff. Eventually, when I am finally ready building Unity and open the zoo, I want to turn on money and such later down the line. So these are things I am looking at now. I had eventually to fire all my staff, because I stood around idle after the last update and animals were starving. Thankfully, during building process I still have death turned off. But later, bugs like this might drive me nuts.

Also build a food cort in the World of Plants. Still need to take long annoying breaks whiole playing because of the neuralgic pain in my shoulder and arm. Grr. Hope to be back to normal soon. Because at the monent I can not wait to get done with creating unity and finally open that damned zoo. And I have already several ideas for other zoos.

Just curious: How many projects do you have at once? I am really searching for a way to add dlc animals easily in the future, but not every animal fits in every zoo concept. With Unity I found the perfect solution, but... well, with guests, I can't probably not use the whole map and build endless. So I'm thinking about having two to three projects... I dunno. Might be too much, until I win in the lottery and do not have to earn money anymore ;)

Just curious: How many projects do you have at once? I am really searching for a way to add dlc animals easily in the future, but not every animal fits in every zoo concept.

I currently have

• Japanese city zoo
  • Central European-style woodland zoo
  • Nordic zoo with cold climate species
  • Small Australian zoo with mainly exotic species realistically found in Australian zoos.

I switch between them all at the moment, none of them are finished but I’ve made pretty good progress on all of them.

I currently have

• Japanese city zoo
  • Small Australian zoo with mainly exotic species realistically found in Australian zoos.

I switch between them all at the moment, none of them are finished but I’ve made pretty good progress on all of them.
Wow, an impressive selection you have there!
I'm thinking about four ideas currently:
  • A low budget zoo in the woods with animals that are easy to keep.
  • A zoo in the desert or outback that was started by a weird animal collector with species that thrive in hot climate with little foliage.
  • A sea side zoo with a coastal theming
  • A family run zoo similar to Hagenbeck.

But I guess for me it would be better to have two projects parallel the most. Plus having the then finished Unity as my "I just want to play" zoo.

Just curious: How many projects do you have at once?

I only have one zoo on the go at a time. I've never been able to complete one because as I get better with certain aspects I tend to want to start over and put my new skills to better use. I was much the same way in the days of Zoo Tycoon but by the end I was able to build complete zoos so I expect it will be the same with Planet Zoo.

My problem is that I often feel limited by the materials in terms of how much time I have to spend on things. While the building pieces are all very versatile and useful, I sometimes wish I didn't have to construct certain things myself. An example is the wooden slat detailing I put on my entrance building. While I'm pleased with the end result, it took a long time to get it right, because whenever I wanted to copy and paste a wall piece it required multi-selecting each individual aspect first (eventually I pasted a piece off to the side I could just drag the mouse over, but prior to that it was super tedious). Then there are things like retaining walls, which always look great when they're done, but take a lot of effort and fiddling to get right. In this case it would be nice if there was an option to have a solid wall beneath an elevated path instead of just path supports.

I currently have

• Japanese city zoo

Add one more to that, a small-ish zoo in a walled garden setting. It's based on something I started in ZT2 a couple of years ago. I'm pretty happy with it and think this is the one I am making the most progress on at the moment but I could really do with aviary-style enclosures to get the look I'm going for. Today I did some landscaping in the giant anteater enclosure and completed the flamingo enclosure.

Add one more to that, a small-ish zoo in a walled garden setting. It's based on something I started in ZT2 a couple of years ago. I'm pretty happy with it and think this is the one I am making the most progress on at the moment but I could really do with aviary-style enclosures to get the look I'm going for. Today I did some landscaping in the giant anteater enclosure and completed the flamingo enclosure.
Love a walled garden - I used to work in a falconry centre based in a walled garden where we used the structure of the old victorian greenhouses (without glass so just the wood) as the large aviaries with netting over the top. Then the staff behind the scenes section was in the brick work rooms running along one side.

I'm now not sure which direction to take the zoo in. One idea is for it to be like a traditional country house walled garden probably set in Ireland. That's how it started off. Then I was playing around with blueprints and some buildings look really good with it but it gives it more of a city zoo feel but on a small scale. If anyone has been to the botanical gardens in Leiden it feels a bit like that. But a zoo of course. And a European city zoo is something I was thinking of doing anyway at some point.

I guess I can actually do both and see which one I end up preferring.

Top Bottom