LGBTQ+ Flags as ship paint jobs?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Reading the thread, the people who would disagree with your suggestion are doing so on the basis of preferring to keep the game and real life separate
Okay, so instead of the holo-me system where we all try and recreate ourselves, we should all just play the same amorphous grey blobs as each other, to keep real life out of it, right?

Okay, so instead of the holo-me system where we all try and recreate ourselves, we should all just play the same amorphous grey blobs as each other, to keep real life out of it, right?

well, we are humans and we come in 2 shapes only - you should model that shape in any way you see fit

I'm sorry to say, that is exactly what I'm reading in the thread from a surprising number of people in this thread. But, it also shows the need to have our flag in the game.

No, seriously. Not

For example, my country does not have a skin flag (since country skin flags were mentioned)
Does that mean that i'm supposed to feel that i am excluded? That i am discriminated?
🤪

For the record: No, i dont feel excluded nor discriminated

Well most everything comes in a tube type shape with appendages attached depending on environment but thats a different point, especially as not all shapes are the same shape with the same number of appendages...thats the problem with the brain, it makes assumptions that need challenging by the consciousness.....words matter, the road to hell is paved with good intentions

For example, my country does not have a skin flag (since country skin flags were mentioned)
Nor does mine. I don't feel like that means there's any hostility toward it either. If, however, I suggested it and a 17 page thread appeared full of people stating their reasons why it shouldn't be represented, I might feel differently.

Now, given that this IS the context for the suggested inclusion of the rainbow flag, and given that a lot of people experience abuse for their sexuality, I don't understand how the crazy emoji at the end of your post was anything other than inflammatory- if you want to discuss the topic, be more civil than that.

2 days and 16 pages later, I want to say... I did not expect this to be this controversial, I will keep in mind to try not to mention my queerness in this community in the future. I understand now that being whom I am is not welcome here. I wasn't aware of the limited colors on skins, that could be an issue, and perhaps I can look on the bright side and assume that maybe in the 3000s, LGBTQ+ people have equality, and nobody needs the flags anymore. I may still draw my idea of what a skin could look like, but I won't post it here. I'm sorry if I caused any problems.
CMDR signing off.

Tbh I'm not seeing anyone saying anything about gay / lesbian / queer / etc being unwelcome here or in anyway unequal.

I do see people (and I'm one of them) having issue with a pride flag being placed into the game for signalling purposes.

I can't speak for others, but for me it's because I hold the belief that this runs counter to the desired end goal. Universal equality and acceptance.

I also believe strongly that unimportant differences between people are being used to seperate, segregate and divide people, to the detriment of positive change in our society.

A symptom of which is the creation of a myriad of symbols which people are almost forced to identify with in order to be accepted by others. However these symbols carry with them political baggage that they may not subscribe to.

I think this was exampled with the issues relating to which specific pride flag should be used.

If you make a custom ship skin / ship kit, I would love to see it on the forum, so you should post it.

If you want to mention your queerness in some way that is relevant to Elite then you should.

But if its just about you being queer, we'll I don't care, that's not interesting or worthy of comment because whether you are queer or not makes no difference to anyone sane.

And I am aware that that might come across as a bit harsh, especially if you are used to a mindset that's been around a lot of intersectional logic.

The opposite of oppression is not celebration, it's stone cold indifference.

Is celebration part of the fight against oppression? Yes very much so

Is it the end goal? No

If there is a feeling by the devs or community that Elite should have anti-homophobia content then a series of missions or community goal that addresses specific aspects or highlights individual issues would be an idea, but again, the stone cold indifference means we cannot assume anything about anyone based upon their protected characteristics.

So why not imagine the future you want, and imagine what the people who lived in that future would do, and so make a new symbol, that's universal and as well as touching on things from now that may still be relevant then also addresses the issues that would be facing people then?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most of what needs to be said here has been said more eloquently than I would - and while I am quite disappointed that a noisy few are making members of our community feel unwelcome, I do believe that they are a much smaller minority than their big keyboards would suggest.

But a couple of things that I haven't seen noted. First, do observe that Frontier itself claims to stand against discrimination and does participate in events like Pride Month. See e.g. Source: https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous/status/1134777663791480833

Second, the top replies to tweets like that one are routinely those asking for rainbow paintjobs. That we haven't gotten them yet does make me think it's a technical issue. However, I do observe that there are more than enough engine colors for a wing of six or seven skilled formation flyers to paint some very nice rainbows in front of whatever landmarks seem appropriate. And while it's sadly not possible to apply custom weapon colors per-weapon, one could certainly approximate a laser rainbow using engineering effects.

I think most of what needs to be said here has been said more eloquently than I would - and while I am quite disappointed that a noisy few are making members of our community feel unwelcome, I do believe that they are a much smaller minority than their big keyboards would suggest.

But a couple of things that I haven't seen noted. First, do observe that Frontier itself claims to stand against discrimination and does participate in events like Pride Month. See e.g. Source: https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous/status/1134777663791480833

Second, the top replies to tweets like that one are routinely those asking for rainbow paintjobs. That we haven't gotten them yet does make me think it's a technical issue. However, I do observe that there are more than enough engine colors for a wing of six or seven skilled formation flyers to paint some very nice rainbows in front of whatever landmarks seem appropriate. And while it's sadly not possible to apply custom weapon colors per-weapon, one could certainly approximate a laser rainbow using engineering effects.

i will remind them of this thread everytime they publish anything to do with gay rights, as they certainly arnt challenging homophobic comments.

I'm leaving this forum

farewell CMDRs

Some people seem to take the view expressed a few pages ago 'You'll be wanting a gay PowperPlay character next'.

No, nobody is arguing for a gay PowerPlay character. A PowerPlay character who is gay however, dont see any problem with that.

And some of you cant see the difference.

i will remind them of this thread everytime they publish anything to do with gay rights, as they certainly arnt challenging homophobic comments.

I cant agree with that. Unless you want a 5 minute delay between posting and appearing during which every post is moderated, the mods have done an excellent job on this thread, Ive seen a lot of what has been very very quickly deleted, and there does need to be an allowance for the 'opposite' view, however 'ignorant' it appears as long as it doesnt cross certain boundaries, or we get an echo chamber and nobody learns anything in an echo chamber.

There is a difference between 'I dont like' and 'You shouldnt have', if we can all stay on the right side we can at least discuss.

Paul_Crowther

Community Manager
Frontier
Hi all,

Our moderators have been hard at work removing some rule breaking comments and individuals from this thread. The forums should be an inclusive and welcoming place for Commanders to come and enjoy Elite Dangerous with other Commanders, regardless of race, gender, persuasion or belief.

These forums have a zero tolerance policy regarding discrimination and as such our moderators have been advised to remove anyone who chooses to break that rule.
If you wish to discuss the actual topic you are welcome to continue posting in this thread, if not please consider posting elsewhere.

My elite 4 colour pride symbol would be

Sol Yellow : symbolising the rights of people who want to be with people (in whatever way)

Electric Blue : symbolising the rights of people who want to be with machines and ai

Thargoids Green : for people who lean towards the xeno side of things

Blood red : the same blood flows through us all

I'd have the red in the middle with other colours around it.

So

we are currently (restricted) to limited number of colours then, I didn't know that
I suppose if that's the restriction its also the answer why we cant have customised creations?

Is this something that is hardwired into the game engine or could it be added at some point?

Whilst I'm not going to read 17 pages (especially after the mod comments) I would say that I am supportive of everyone's right to contribute to this forum free from personal abuse.
The fact that comments in here and elsewhere have driven some contributors away should be a source of shame and those responsible should be banned.
I fully support the mods actions in this respect.

The pride flag is a symbol of a political movement concerning laws and rights and thus shouldn't be in the game as the only politics in the game should be from the fictional world (because it is a game). And if it was in the game Frontier would likely have to censor it in a number of markets anyway.

I also find it a bit hypocritical for companies who are part owned by a Chinese corporation that has a Chinese Communist Party body advising that corporation on policy to be pronouncing support for gay rights in one country whilst their profits are being used to clamp down on gay rights in another. Something to think about.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom