Believe in and wish for an open-only mode? Complain!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
This is not a debate. It's a call and a statement:

You think it makes no sense to not have an open-only mode, where open only competes vs open ? Complain to Frontier. Makes noise. Because "here" obviously, is a little clan of people who won't let you speak sense about it.

-"Again!?!" They will say, real up-high from their "Elite Dangerous Official Forums" status.
But don't mind them. Don't discuss with them, you'll waste your time. Write to Frontier. Say it to them 'cause Frontier get to choose at the end.
That's only this way and with numbers, "we" may have an influence over it.

I know there's a whole lot of other players who think like "us". This forum isn't representative of the community. It's a crew.

Yes! It has to be brought back
again, and again and again.
Just if it's to off you guys, pseudo moderators, biased ,"hijacking the discussion" and locking it up. Trying to shut out those who actually think they could be enjoying a mmo together, and letting the pg/solo crowd have it...between them.

Last edited by a moderator:

You think it makes no sense to not have an open-only mode, where open only competes vs open ? Complain to Frontier. Makes noise. Because "here" obviously, is a little clan of people who won't let you speak sense about it.

-"Again!?!" They will say, real up-high from their "Elite Dangerous Official Forums" status.
But don't mind them. Don't discuss with them, you'll waste your time. Write to Frontier. Say it to them 'cause Frontier get to choose at the end.

I know there's a whole lot of other players who think like "us". This forum isn't representative of the community. It's a crew.

Just if it's to off you guys, pseudo moderators, biased,"hijacking the discussion" and locking it up. Trying to shut out those who actually think they could be enjoying a mmo together, and letting the pg/solo crowd have it...between them.

As opposed to 'your' little clan?

images (27).jpg

Just if it's to off you guys, pseudo moderators, biased,"hijacking the discussion" and locking it up. Trying to shut out those who actually think they could be enjoying a mmo together, and letting the pg/solo crowd have it...between them.
You're a few years behind mate, Open has been there from the beginning I think. It's definitely been there since Horizons (when I first started playing ED). I don't think there are plans to remove it any time soon either.

Hmmm... and what's your point?
The point presumably is an entirely separate set of galaxy servers
- separate accounts
- separate BGS, Powerplay, etc.
- only an Open mode available
- likely a much smaller inhabited bubble, a few hundred systems at most, but probably starting smaller at maybe twenty and growing with player/group count, to encourage actual conflict rather than endless uncontested expansion
- a subscription model to pay for the costs to Frontier of running all this parallel infrastructure
- possibly easier as an entirely separate game (with a lot of common code) as a few things like "regeneration lasers", "outposts have only one medium landing pad", "Powerplay bubble radius is 15LY" and so on would need some significant adjusting to avoid cheap exploits or just not working at all.

Whether there's enough demand for it to make it worth Frontier implementing it, who knows. So far they haven't.

Is anyone or -thing forcing you not to play in Open?

Yes.

More precisely, the mode is still called 'Open', but since who we can or cannot instance with can be unilaterally dictated by others trying to impose their playstyles on the entire mode, the spectrum and density of encounters that may otherwise be experienced is often significantly curtailed.

Whether there's enough demand for it to make it worth Frontier implementing it, who knows. So far they haven't.

That they haven't is a pretty good indicator that it's not worthwhile.

It also wouldn't even be workable without some fairly significant changes to the network model (reliable and enforced relays at the very least). This is likely why they never had any more of those Open-only contests that they had early on in the game's life...no one has to allow any peer connections, no matter what mode they choose.

This is not a debate.

I'm going to debate this! :D

Still, i'm not actually sure from OP whether you mean you are for or against it!

If you are talking about seperate servers for an Open only mode, seperate from the current servers, i'm all for it.

And i'll laugh my rear end off when the Open only proponents start saying its not what they wanted because hardly anyone plays on it.

There should be two Opens - one where block is allowed (for people like me) and one where block is disabled (for people like Morbad). There, now everyone is happy!

That said, I don't think we'll ever have separate BGS for different modes, as that would make our newly reinstated Galnet too hard for Frontier to manage (each parallel universe would require its own news).

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
I am not gonna type it all again, so I'll just provide a link to an old post of mine that works for this thread as well.
You can find that post here.

As with that thread, and more like it, I am closing this one as O/T.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom