Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | The Road To Odyssey Part 2 - Forging Your Path

Would that not be the obvious choice - we have ships classified as people transport vessels, and now we finally get non-NPC passengers. I would find it very strange if FDev had actually introduced a new vessel only for this purpose, as it would mean NPC and users are considered different kind of subjects within the ED universe's logic, which would be... wrong ?

I would have placed the Dolphins, Orcas and Belugas as more the luxury coaches, commercial jets and cruise ships of Elite. It seems like for a "taxi" (where there's just one or two of us sitting on the bridge with the pilot, apparently) one of the Skoda Octavias or Ford Mondeos of the game would be appropriate. So an Adder or the like seems about right.

I would like to be able to travel as a passenger on a Saud Krueger ship when ship interiors are a thing though.

Surely the only Ship Taxi worthy of the Badass Loveable Rouge Mercenary from Out of Town is the Federal Dropship?

Yeah, no interiors is a pity (as a passenger you could stroll through the ship and experience... not much, I guess... well, get stuck in an elevator during a hyperspace jump (as it will cease to work as at random systems seem to be put on hold during hyperspace jumps). But they could of course keep you in a screen with the option to let you visit the cockpit. But it won't happen.

The Skoda Adder approach: okay, so you are talking of literal taxi's. But that would just be the Adders you see flying around now, wouldn't it ? Or do you expect them to add a dedicated yellow skin with the words TAXI - actually you could get a yellow skin and use those letters as your call sign today.

So what exactly is FDev supposed to add ? A nice little box to plant on top of your canopy with the word TAXI in it, which is lit up when-ever it is available and not when a passanger is already onboard ?

Yeah, no interiors is a pity (as a passenger you could stroll through the ship and experience... not much, I guess... well, get stuck in an elevator during a hyperspace jump (as it will cease to work as at random systems seem to be put on hold during hyperspace jumps). But they could of course keep you in a screen with the option to let you visit the cockpit. But it won't happen.

The Skoda Adder approach: okay, so you are talking of literal taxi's. But that would just be the Adders you see flying around now, wouldn't it ? Or do you expect them to add a dedicated yellow skin with the words TAXI - actually you could get a yellow skin and use those letters as your call sign today.

So what exactly is FDev supposed to add ? A nice little box to plant on top of your canopy with the word TAXI in it, which is lit up when-ever it is available and not when a passanger is already onboard ?
For some strange reason I actually pictured a yellow and black taxi adder with a lit sign on top when I first saw apex interstellar

giphy.gif

Colour me surprised that a company that appeared to have abandoned macOS altogether, suddenly releases Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 (old title) and more significantly Planet Coaster with macOS versions.

Planet Coaster is being ported by a company with expertise in macOS, Aspyr, so I guess if someone offers Frontier a reduced effort path to macOS compatibility, they are prepared to make minimum effort.

So, Aspyr, about Elite Dangerous ....

Still waiting for The Road To Odyssey Part 3. :sleep::sleep:

Presumably, the "why are we waiting" moan-fest for part 4 (assuming there even is a part 4) will start 18 hours after the release of part 3 ;)
I'd love to get my hands on Odyssey on Jan. 1st, erm make that 2nd due to some hangover complications.

If I were a betting man, I would bet on March.
That said, I wouldn't hang any hopes on it, as even if the work has only been pushed back days, they may see the shift of deadline from Q4 to Q1 as an opportunity to spend an extra three months polishing and finishing the update. Which wouldn't be a bad thing necessarily.

This - for sure. Frontier may feel that this approach is more efficient than going to all the effort of releasing a public beta. Why put the resources into creating, releasing and managing a public beta when those resources could be leveraged instead to adding polish to the final release?

People massively under-estimate the amount of effort it takes to have a beta.

Last edited:
Top Bottom