Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod

You must have values in your personal graphics override file that are, well, overriding my settings.
I will rename it and try again.

Works much better without my override file. I still have a weird hot pink effect in main menu images, and flashing back and forth from ambient off to on. I'll delete shaderfixes one at a time. Very interesting process I may play around with 3dmigoto a bit now that I have a known good backup. :)

Last edited:
I will rename it and try again.

Works much better without my override file. I still have a weird hot pink effect in main menu images, and flashing back and forth from ambient off to on. I'll delete shaderfixes one at a time. Very interesting process I may play around with 3dmigoto a bit now that I have a known good backup. :)
Having a bit of purple dithered into some of the portraits in things like Galnet is a side-effect of using color-based HUD customizations. There may be a way around this using a coordinate-based color scheme, but it's time-consuming and not worth doing until Odyssey releases.

As for flashing ambient light, this is a known issue, but I haven't had time to narrow down the shader causing the problem. My first guess is that it's one of the sun shaders, and that making the local stars extra bright has caused some issues with the ambient light (though this surprises me, as this implies an inter-shader dependency). The good news is if it turns out to be a sun brightness shader, I can tie sun brightness with ambient light, so that when ambient light is on, the sun is default brightness (thus stopping the strobing), and when AL is off, the sun goes bright. This actually makes sense if you think about it, since harsh sunlight creates harsh shadows IRL.

If you find the shader causing the ambient light flashing, please let me know and I'll implement that fix I described.

Read the thread, backwards.

(y)

i6h3Cs2.png

XI8pfEC.png

Ci9Qdjg.png

BszsCfA.png

EyZeLXv.png

@Old Duck Why the milky way and nebulas are tone down/different when viewed from inside the cockpit compared to the camera suite?

Last edited:
@Old Duck Why the milky way and nebulas are tone down/different when viewed from inside the cockpit compared to the camera suite?
That's Frontier's doing, though if you turn off the HUD (which also turns off the scratched canopy), that will let more light in than the default. This "dim everything as seen inside your ship" is part of Frontier's new lighting system. You can really see it by approaching a nebula and viewing inside vs outside, even without my mod.

Speaking of, did you disable prototype lighting in the graphics config file? That should help at least a little, once you're away from the main star.

That's Frontier's doing, though if you turn off the HUD (which also turns off the scratched canopy), that will let more light in than the default. This "dim everything as seen inside your ship" is part of Frontier's new lighting system. You can really see it by approaching a nebula and viewing inside vs outside, even without my mod.

Ohh I see, you know it crossed my mind because I thought noticing something like that on PS4 but I wasn't sure.

Speaking of, did you disable prototype lighting in the graphics config file? That should help at least a little, once you're away from the main star.

Yes, it's very cool to see the stars and the milky way being more and more visible.

By the way, would it be possible to edit the milky way so the core is visible and with a more brownish dust? Can't edit from the configuration file? it needs to be done from the shaders files correct? don't know how to edit that...

(space engine)

Nu4BtpE.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

thanks for the hard work on this mod (y)..makes the game infinitely better.

Last edited:
By the way, would it be possible to edit the milky way so the core is visible and with a more brownish dust? Can't edit from the configuration file? it needs to be done from the shaders files correct? don't know how to edit that...
No no, this is way more complex than you realize, as the Milky Way "band" is generated fresh every time you jump. It's not just a static image like you would have in a terrestrial simulator like Microsoft Flight Simulator. I can shift colors, saturation, brightness, and contrast, but I can't render an entirely different image that dynamically changes based on where you are in the galaxy.

No no, this is way more complex than you realize, as the Milky Way "band" is generated fresh every time you jump. It's not just a static image like you would have in a terrestrial simulator like Microsoft Flight Simulator. I can shift colors, saturation, brightness, and contrast, but I can't render an entirely different image that dynamically changes based on where you are in the galaxy.

I'm not sure I understand, while keeping your milky way the way as it is, is it not possible to bring back a bit of that core? the black space shaders with milky way/nebula visible, how does it work basically?

F7883E647832A76559A05FE6FB65802196DA5268

Asking the same question 50 times won't change my answer...
lol I posted that and then you answered at the same time.

Still trying to find out how I can toggle the vertical bars bracketing the fire groups on the hud. Anyone?
I just solved this problem for VR (at least on my system). Add the following code to your d3dx.ini file in the TEXTURE OVERRIDES section:
Code:
[TextureOverrideAHUDVR]
Hash = 176e98b7
ps-t2 = ResourceBlankTexture
You'll need to tap F1 a couple of times to enable "very minimalist HUD mode", or you can just set $hideHUD = 2

This mod makes all the difference to me! For all the time I've spent playing on Xbox I've lost count of the times I've complained about how bright everything is, how 'easy' it is with everything highlighted/targeted, the cluttered HUD, the silly comet-NPCs in supercruise and all that white stuff whizzing by (although I guess the snow is there to give an impression of speed and general movement).

I've recently picked Elite up on Steam after building a 4k capable PC, so straight away the game looks miles better than my ancient Xbox One. With this mod everything looks even better. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, not that you need to explain it like you've had to, it's pretty clear from the first post that it's a personal choice...

Just a few things of note that I thought I would mention, for potential future updates to the mod.

- I'm still seeing the HUD side bars when in supercruise ONLY in Analysis Mode. Is this fixable?

- One thing I liked that's gone is the little light-dot representing a station as you got close to it in supercruise. It may have been the original intention but I used that little light to tell whether the station was behind the planet or not. I've tried toggling everything on/off as I approach the station and it made no difference so I guess it's turned off by the main Black Space part of the mod? I guess there's no easy way to turn this station reflection thingy back on?

- Am I able to amend the .ini file to start a session with toggles on or off, how I want them? Currently the game loads with HUD off, lights on and the HDR on (activated, ship cockpit at its darkest). I know it's just a toggle but I'd like to fire up a game with lights off and HDR off.

- Do you have a hash I can add to the .ini file to turn off the haze inside stations? I tried copying from Cmdr AD's txt file but it threw up a shader warning on start up.

I haven't been land-side with this mod yet but if screenshots are anything to go by, I won't be disappointed. I do hope you have time to keep this mod active - you could probably even charge a small amount for it to 'cover your expenses' and I'd bet many would pay, I know I would.

TL:DR - amazing mod! Thank you for the time you've put into making it publicly available.

This mod makes all the difference to me! For all the time I've spent playing on Xbox I've lost count of the times I've complained about how bright everything is, how 'easy' it is with everything highlighted/targeted, the cluttered HUD, the silly comet-NPCs in supercruise and all that white stuff whizzing by (although I guess the snow is there to give an impression of speed and general movement).

I've recently picked Elite up on Steam after building a 4k capable PC, so straight away the game looks miles better than my ancient Xbox One. With this mod everything looks even better. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, not that you need to explain it like you've had to, it's pretty clear from the first post that it's a personal choice...

Just a few things of note that I thought I would mention, for potential future updates to the mod.

- I'm still seeing the HUD side bars when in supercruise ONLY in Analysis Mode. Is this fixable?

- One thing I liked that's gone is the little light-dot representing a station as you got close to it in supercruise. It may have been the original intention but I used that little light to tell whether the station was behind the planet or not. I've tried toggling everything on/off as I approach the station and it made no difference so I guess it's turned off by the main Black Space part of the mod? I guess there's no easy way to turn this station reflection thingy back on?

- Am I able to amend the .ini file to start a session with toggles on or off, how I want them? Currently the game loads with HUD off, lights on and the HDR on (activated, ship cockpit at its darkest). I know it's just a toggle but I'd like to fire up a game with lights off and HDR off.

- Do you have a hash I can add to the .ini file to turn off the haze inside stations? I tried copying from Cmdr AD's txt file but it threw up a shader warning on start up.

I haven't been land-side with this mod yet but if screenshots are anything to go by, I won't be disappointed. I do hope you have time to keep this mod active - you could probably even charge a small amount for it to 'cover your expenses' and I'd bet many would pay, I know I would.

TL:DR - amazing mod! Thank you for the time you've put into making it publicly available.
A lot of these questions have been answered in this thread, so I recommend going back through. I know it's a pain, but so is answering the same question over and over and over again ;)

That said, anyone using the mod is welcome to answer these and other questions that pop up.

I highly recommend switching your in-game Effects setting to low. This will remove station fog and some other "cheesy" effects, and it looks way better than removing these with shader manipulation. You'll lose a few other things like heat and supercruise shimmer, but heat shimmer in the vacuum of space isn't realistic anyway.

A lot of these questions have been answered in this thread, so I recommend going back through. I know it's a pain, but so is answering the same question over and over and over again ;)

That said, anyone using the mod is welcome to answer these and other questions that pop up.

Apologies, I've followed your advice earlier in the thread to read backwards and I've found the update on page 41. I had originally read up to about page 30 before commenting, so didn't even know about the update.

I'll also look at lowering the Effects setting.

Thanks for replying.

Apologies, I've followed your advice earlier in the thread to read backwards and I've found the update on page 41. I had originally read up to about page 30 before commenting, so didn't even know about the update.

Eventually I plan to update the OP, but this latest update is experimental and I'm still working out a few kinks (like ambient light flashing). I posted it in the thread for the diehard followers to test. YMMV!

Yeah me too, it's like a complex puzzle you assemble in your mind and then see the results on the screen

I was just in my SRV a few moments ago, and the part of the radar that shows your elevation is 7cf9cfa0f016b2b0 .. well, I think that's the one you mean .. the diagonal lines that show the underground area?

The landing coaster is 71d9a779e90e46a1, landing distance line is 169f3d42070f42f8, and the landing pad target thingy is 927f01581186fdb6. I only just found these today so I'm not sure if they're linked to other elements. The rest of the holographic landing pad seems linked to the OwnShip hologram

What sort of mod are you working on?
Just adding to my d3dx hash skips right now (although I have tried your hud mod and OD's realistic mod, both are amazing and I hope they survive Odyssey).
Personally I have a few flip switch toggles on my throttle that I have bound to turn on my interior lights, 'internal' hud elements and 'external' hud elements.
Everytime I start up the game I flip the switches to go from a Ctl+Alt+G like state through a start-up sequence and then having the option to turn off the lights, external hud or the internal hud is a fun immersive touch, especially after landing going through a shut-down sequence to get things back to 0 before going into SRV or logging. The only thing that lingers is the little arrow representing your ship while flying around in space. That's NBD really.

Those srv hashes are a big help for my efforts, those lines below the surface are gone now and it looks a lot better. The landing coaster, elevation line, and landing pad bullseye are added to my internal hud toggle. Thank you a lot!

I will mention the Landing Pad holo is indeed hooked up to the ownship/target 3D holo (and other hud elements) hash. Since it's part of my 'internal hud' toggle it's already taken care of, but still would be nice to know if we discover it's own. The Terrain Holo (the upper surface of the planet) while landing on a body does not appear to be hooked in to the ownship holo hash (at least not 9813bfc19f632619) as I have that one in my 'internal hud' toggle and the terrain remains when toggled off.

As much as I'm looking forward to Odyssey and walking around on surfaces (and fingers crossed for walking inside my ships in a future update) I'm worried it will break these mods and we'll have to start all this over. =D That said, it is fun to tinker and with new changes come new opportunities.

Yes, it's in the latest update a few pages back (the one that includes a link to a zip file in Dropbox). Here's the thing - it only works in 2D, as it seems Elite uses a different hash in VR. When the next rainy day comes, I'll see if I can get it working in VR as well. To make it work on 2D, just tap F1 a couple of times. The F1 cycles as follows:

• Full HUD
  • Partial HUD (removes all "outside the ship" UI elements)
  • Minimal HUD (removes analysis mode and info panel)
  • No HUD (like CTRL-ALT-G, also turns off lights inside ship)

Sorry for being thick, I can remove the Combat side lines with this:

; Disable HUD "sidelines". Do these even have a purpose?
[ShaderOverrideUselessHUDLines]
Hash=178045604e0b329c
Handling=skip

But I don't see where to disable the Analysis mode lines. Is there a specific hash for this? Thanks all.

this is fantastic in VR! (using your all in 1 beta zip)

Have you found a way to make the floating labels less intrusive? Make them smaller or transparant?

this is fantastic in VR! (using your all in 1 beta zip)

Have you found a way to make the floating labels less intrusive? Make them smaller or transparant?
Have you tried tapping F1 a couple of times? That gets rid of all sorts of floating labels.

Top Bottom