The Oswald-Eugene Counter

Purchased this game yesterday and only just seen this, very disappointed to be fair, I assume this will now impact on building things such as dark rides etc?

You're a little behind on the news, but you didn't miss much. But yes it does impact on buildings, dark rides, paths and sceneries. It really limits alot to what you want to build in the first place

TBH, if there would not be a need for this, they would not implement it. Would be nice if you could switch it off on your own risk of lagging/crashing though. I hope once you get used to this, the game will be enjoyable for you guys.

Last edited:
TBH, if there would not be a need for this, they would not implement it, would be nice if you could switch it off on your own risk of lagging/crashing though. I hope once you get used to this, the game will be enjoyable for you guys.
But why release it if it’s going to severely restrict what we want to do?, some people love to be creative and build immersive dark rides etc, seems like that is a massive no no on the console version

Since Frontier and no one from the community staff is willing to come into this thread and tell us a bit more about how this all works and how it works with the Workshop when you have people that play on base consoles (PS4/Xbox One), Mid-Gen Consoles (Xbox One X/PS4 Pro) and Next Gen consoles (Xbox Series X/PS5) I guess it is up to us the community to share information that should have been shared by Frontier. So here is what I found on how this works and how it works on all these different versions:

We all know that there is a limit on what you can build called the Oswald-Eugene counter. In the "Settings" menu for the game, there is a tab for this counter. In this menu, you are able to set when the game alerts you about hitting the limit. The default from memory was 80%, but you can change it to whatever you like. So if you want to be notified when you are at 50% for your console, you can set it to that. You can also set at what percentage the game will remind you. For example, if you set it to 60% and reminders at 5% you will get notified when you hit the 60%. Then you will further reminders when you hit 65%, 70%, 75% etc. The limit from what I can tell is based not on the amount of RAM your console has, but more on the CPU/GPU. The smallest amount of building you can do will be on the Xbox One/PS4, then the next bump is on Xbox One X/PS4 Pro and obviously the biggest is on the Xbox Series X/PS5.

One of the other questions that has been raised and not answered is how does the Workshop work with PS4/PS5 and Xbox One/Xbox Series X players? When you go into the same Settings menu for the Oswald-Eugene counter when playing on the Series X or PS5 you get an "additional" notification. This warning tells you that you reached a limit that whatever you are creating will no be sharable with Base console owners. For example, if you are planning to share a park in the Workshop and you "pass" this current gen limit then your park will only be shareable with other owners that have a Next Gen console. It does not tell you what this limit is however...so you would think if your are on PS5/Xbox Series X it would say "As soon as you hit 50%" your creation can only be shared with other Next Gen owners. So as you make a park, at a certain point you will get this warning and you wont be able to share it with current gen owners on the workshop. I have not figured out if it is in the shop will people still be able to view it and tell them this park is too big for your current system or how it communicates this in the shop.

There is still nothing that I have found that tells you how much a ride, scenery piece or anything else "cost" towards this limit. So if you are hitting close to the limit there is nothing that tells you "If you add this Ride it will cost you XXX amount towards the limit".

Since I don't think anyone from the Dev team will read this or pitch in to help us figure out this stuff if anyone finds something that helps us determine the cost values it would be help in the planning stages of our parks.

NOTE: I hope I am not coming across as rude or anything like that towards Frontier. I just am amazed that they have not bothered to chime in other than "Oh on the night before launch, we implemented limits". I do hope and welcome anyone from Frontier to talk about this stuff and give us more insights to how it all works.

Lastly....They did do an amazing job on the game. Aside from the limit issue, which I have not encountered, but really have not pushed anything yet...the game, the performance, the control set up, UI is just so well done and the parts of the new Tutorial that I have been able to complete is executed extremely well. It is an amazing thing they have made for consoles.
Maybe there'll be some kind of announcement in response, eventually.
The hope is that they can somehow increase the limit and hopefully implement a way of us being able to find out how much a particular attraction/item will affect the overall percentage.
In the meantime, if anyone has any notes from playing on a regular PS4, please share 😊

But why release it if it’s going to severely restrict what we want to do?, some people love to be creative and build immersive dark rides etc, seems like that is a massive no no on the console version

Probably because a demand for a console port was high. Whenever I see someone on twitter ask when Planet Zoo will come to console, I am like why would you even want to play a game with such advanced building mechanism on console? Tbh it is beyond me, but people asked, so they delivered and as we see, there had to be made some compromises. I am not that surprised by that, consoles are great for racing games, or party games, but beyond that I will always prefer PC, for obvious reasons.

But I applaud Frontier for even figuring how to make a port for a building game like this, even if it has limitations.

TBH, if there would not be a need for this, they would not implement it. Would be nice if you could switch it off on your own risk of lagging/crashing though. I hope once you get used to this, the game will be enjoyable for you guys.
Error messages and crashes go direct to PlayStation.. Maybe it's Sony and Microsoft that has made them implement this to stop thousands of players crashing and reporting their hardware as brokened. LOL

Probably because a demand for a console port was high. Whenever I see someone on twitter ask when Planet Zoo will come to console, I am like why would you even want to play a game with such advanced building mechanism on console? Tbh it is beyond me, but people asked, so they delivered and as we see, there had to be made some compromises. I am not that surprised by that, consoles are great for racing games, or party games, but beyond that I will always prefer PC, for obvious reasons.

But I applaud Frontier for even figuring how to make a port for a building game like this, even if it has limitations.
So Cityville and Jurassic World Evo works well.. Older consoles handled JP Operation Genesis and theme park where you could place lots of stuff. I'd compromise on quality if it meant more space. More items and being actually able to create a park.
Sorry Disney World.. you can't place anymore items.. you've reached 100% ROFL.4K is needed for action games.. not sim games.

I also believe the cap was put on with how much the PC community whines about the lag in the game.. stating it maybe a bug. If they had told everyone about this from the start.. then lots wouldn't have bought this game, they told people under the 2 day pre order refund time.. and allowedXbox users to purchase it knowing that those with Game pass would get it cheaper... It's all about the money.. and now they have it with about 98% of people unhappy and cheated. IT WAS HIDDEN.. end of.

Last edited:
So Cityville and Jurassic World Evo works well.. Older consoles handled JP Operation Genesis and theme park where you could place lots of stuff. I'd compromise on quality if it meant more space. More items and being actually able to create a park.
Sorry Disney World.. you can't place anymore items.. you've reached 100% ROFL.4K is needed for action games.. not sim games.

I also believe the cap was put on with how much the PC community whines about the lag in the game.. stating it maybe a bug. If they had told everyone about this from the start.. then lots wouldn't have bought this game, they told people under the 2 day pre order refund time.. and allowedXbox users to purchase it knowing that those with Game pass would get it cheaper... It's all about the money.. and now they have it with about 98% of people unhappy and cheated. IT WAS HIDDEN.. end of.

Like I said, their marketing move was perfect to execute the day before the official release. They had some sort of miscommunication in trying to reach out to consumers like us, but we aren't sure if this was done intentionally or the information was actually supposed to be released a day before the official release.

It’s actually still a very very good game after just spending a couple of hours with it, disappointed about the limit and hope it can be adjusted with a patch

I get why they implemented it and understand the reasoning for it. I just wish they told us earlier and explained it better. They did however address it on the last livestream they had. They did not go into a lot of details, but at least they talked about it. Not sure if this is something they can "improve". I hope they can because these next gen consoles should be able to push things pretty far.

I too hope they give us the option, as example I have a bunch of big parks on the pc and they run fine they just only run at 20 fps max 1 even goes as low as 15 fps but the park still runs fine. I thi k if they just give us the option to turn the oswald eugene counter off and make like a second option to limit fps to what we choose like say 20 fps min and then it stops you from building or something. I would be perfectly fine just running the park at that like i did on pc.

They didn’t mention the limitations and allowed the assumption the console version could do what’s possible on the pc version. After all, they spoke so much about the hard work and the optimisations that went into the console version. Then to mention the limit not even 24 hours before release, probably because a streamer got the game early and people were shocked to discover the limitations, it’s a disappointing decision from Frontier and I am surprised they haven’t issued an apology.
For this mistake and also keeping Xbox players in the dark about gamepass availability.

Is Frontier above being humble enough to admit mistakes and say sorry?

EDIT: I just wanna throw in, like with other posts that I’ve put out in the past, that I’m not having a go at the community managers and there’s no lack of love for the Planet games. It’s just the decisions and culture at Frontier that sometimes baffle and disappoint.

Last edited:
I have a question..
Will be the Eugene system updated in the future so you can build more on the ps4 pro. Is there an option to play planet coaster with more memory option or tips.

I build 20 actractions and then he say it's 100 procent. That's verry fast. :(

I have a question..
Will be the Eugene system updated in the future so you can build more on the ps4 pro. Is there an option to play planet coaster with more memory option or tips.

I build 20 actractions and then he say it's 100 procent. That's verry fast. :(
I am not sure if they will or will not. The issue is the CPU/GPU in the PS4 Pro. There is a lot of physics and game logic running the game. You have all the rides, then you have the scenery and then you have all the AI running for the pedestrians and the staff in the park. It is a lot for those consoles that have a very old Jaguar CPU.

On the next gen I believe they should be able too. You get about 25% more building on Next Gen. I think they should be able to push that a bit being the CPU in the next gen consoles are modern CPU's.

Hello coaster friends! 

Over the weekend we've loved seeing a lot of you looking forward to Planet Coaster: Console Edition, as well as asking a few questions about how the Oswald-Eugene Counter works. Today we're going to share a bit more on what this helpful tool is and how it works to keep your console experience smooth and enjoyable.

The Oswald-Eugene Counter is a nifty contraption created by the brilliant minds of Oswald B. Thompson and Eugene Newton (you'll meet them in the Career Mode!). With help from this counter, you'll be able to let your creativity run wild while ensuring your park is kept in tip-top condition. 

When all you new or experienced park builders get creating, it’s important to us that you have a great time and don't encounter any issues! The Oswald-Eugene Counter is designed specifically to let you know how much you can build, so that your platform of choice can keep processing your park effortlessly. It is there to help guide you so that you, and your guests, can stay entertained in your bustling and busy parks. 

If you start reaching the top of the counter, that's the time to check around your park and see if you can find any non-essential items to remove so you can continue to enjoy a smooth experience. When the counter reaches 100%, this represents the top capability of your chosen console and you won't be able to place more buildings or rides. 

We have worked hard to enable you to create incredible places to visit and share, no matter what console you choose to play on. For example, check out this park running on Xbox One X or PlayStation 4 Pro. This magnificent park runs at about 60-70% of the Oswald-Eugene Counter and still has plenty of space so you can continue to build! 

Meanwhile, taking the same park you can expand it even further using the power of next-gen consoles such as Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5. This even more magnificent park runs at about 60-70% of the Oswald-Eugene Counter for next-gen.

The Oswald-Eugene Counter will also help guide you when sharing on the Frontier Workshop with others across generations! With the power of next-gen consoles, you can build and share even bigger parks.

However, if these parks cross a certain threshold then they will only be useable for others using next-gen hardware. For example, if you had your heart set on sharing your Xbox Series X built park with your friends playing on an Xbox One, using this tool you can make sure it’s possible by checking and adjusting your park accordingly.

It's important to remember that creations on the Frontier Workshop can be shared across generations, but not cross platform. This means that Xbox One players and Xbox Series X|S players can share with each other, or PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 players can share with each other. 

We want you to have as much fun as possible when playing Planet Coaster, whatever your console of choice may be. We're excited to see what you create and know that you'll have a fantastic time doing it. 

We can't wait for the launch tomorrow and hope these insights help answer your questions about the Oswald-Eugene Counter on console. Which console will you be playing on?

Hi there thank you for posting this information. Would you be able to confirm the below.

Would the xbox series s be the same building limit as the xbox series X. This will determine which xbox for me to buy and many others. Would you be able to confirm this please. Thank you

Well it's the stupidest thing you could thing off. I played free console edition game pass xbox x but Jezus I got 20 attractions and that's it almost no scenery's nothing. This sucks very very much when you buy DLC packs you won't be able to use them all so it's just garbage now this game you cant build full map just a small part very small...... I am soo happy I did not buy it damn saved me a lot of money I found it luckily in time that this thing oswald is crap. Please people don't buy it if you want to build big stay with steam!!! This is not a console game it could use way more data as consoles have at least 1TB hard drive.

I am not sure if they will or will not. The issue is the CPU/GPU in the PS4 Pro. There is a lot of physics and game logic running the game. You have all the rides, then you have the scenery and then you have all the AI running for the pedestrians and the staff in the park. It is a lot for those consoles that have a very old Jaguar CPU.

On the next gen I believe they should be able too. You get about 25% more building on Next Gen. I think they should be able to push that a bit being the CPU in the next gen consoles are modern CPU's.
Jep 20 attractions and is done can build just very small park found out with free version so it saved me a lot of money not gonna buy this crap !!

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
Well it's the stupidest thing you could thing off. I played free console edition game pass xbox x but Jezus I got 20 attractions and that's it almost no scenery's nothing. This sucks very very much when you buy DLC packs you won't be able to use them all so it's just garbage now this game you cant build full map just a small part very small...... I am soo happy I did not buy it damn saved me a lot of money I found it luckily in time that this thing oswald is crap. Please people don't buy it if you want to build big stay with steam!!! This is not a console game it could use way more data as consoles have at least 1TB hard drive.

It's not a clear cut thing. Scenary doesn't have as big an impact as coasters or other trackrides. Flatrides do not have much impact either. Paths and coasters have the biggest impact. Each console has a different limit based on the specs of that console. The hard drive doesn't really have much to do with it. Planet coaster is heavy on ram, CPU and GPU.

Top Bottom