Cross Platform Play.

Hi Cmdrs / Frontier. Just wondering, is it yet possible to play ED on PS4/XBox and then switch to PC and carry on where you left off. If it's not possible yet are there any plans to make this happen? Would be a great thing to implement as I (as do many others) now have the game on both PS4 and PC. o7 Cmdrs.

Hi Cmdrs / Frontier. Just wondering, is it yet possible to play ED on PS4/XBox and then switch to PC and carry on where you left off. If it's not possible yet are there any plans to make this happen? Would be a great thing to implement as I (as do many others) now have the game on both PS4 and PC. o7 Cmdrs.
In a word: no.

Thanks Cmdrs, I didn't think so but you never know till you ask. Hopefully it would be something for them to think about, if they ever read this. Surely others would have asked this question also. If my PS4 broke I don't know if I would want to start from scratch on PC after all this time.

I think the term you are after is "cross save"

Here is the official information about transfer your save between platforms, it is quite restricted, and nothing close to a "cross save" option:
Can I transfer my assets or commander from PC to Xbox One or PS4™?

I play on all platforms and have no confidence this will ever happen.

Here are some recent reasons for my thinking:
  1. Frontier is spending less and less effort over time making sure the console version keep up with the PC version.
  2. Frontier has indicated that console versions will not be upgraded to Odyssey (at least on the same schedule).
  3. They have indicated that they are not working on a version of the game for the new consoles.
I'll be pleased to be wrong on any of these points.

All this abandonment is happening while other competitors and embracing cross platform play like Hello Games.

Frontier has indicated that console versions will not be upgraded to Odyssey (at least on the same schedule

Where has FDev said this? It says right on the Odyssey homepage that it’s coming to both Xbox One and PS4. And to my knowledge they have never indicated a platform-specific delay.

As to the new consoles... you are correct that they are not planning a native version for them. But it is something of a moot point, because the game has been proven to be backwards compatible on both the PS5 and Xbox Series S/X (barring some minor fidelity issues).

Edit: Whoops, @Misty_Dark ninja’d me on the cross-save question. :D

Last edited:
Where has FDev said this? It says right on the Odyssey homepage that it’s coming to both Xbox One and PS4. And to my knowledge they have never indicated a platform-specific delay.

As to the new consoles... you are correct that they are not planning a native version for them. But it is something of a moot point, because the game has been proven to be backwards compatible on both the PS5 and Xbox Series S/X (barring some minor fidelity issues).

Edit: Whoops, @Misty_Dark ninja’d me on the cross-save question. :D
I believe this was what was actually said
20200819_114732.jpg

The last line is interesting here.

They can of course do what they want with this regard, but my guess is anything not directly related to the game currently or Odyssey is not on any timeline at the moment. Frontier isn't exactly known for giving out details early on either.

Personally I think things like the haptic controllers could be something that the devs would actually want to play around with as things like feeling kickback from a salvo of plasma accelerators or feeling the accelerator vibrate as you go over bumps in the SRV would certainly add to the game.

1. Frontier is spending less and less effort over time making sure the console version keep up with the PC version.

Er... example? They are up to date as they share the same universe, updates come around the same time. What do you mean?
  1. Frontier has indicated that console versions will not be upgraded to Odyssey (at least on the same schedule).
  2. They have indicated that they are not working on a version of the game for the new consoles.

Have they??? From what I've seen, odyssey will be released for all platforms.
Also, they said it's going to run on the new consoles. They aren't making an entirely new version, it'll just work on the new ones - not sure what the problem is then, as, I assume, the settings will be ramped up to take advantage of the hardware.

Those are odd points and I wonder where any of that comes from.

Thank you all for your replies. Some interesting comments and information there, thanks
Misty_Dark for the link will keep hold of that as if/when I transfer to PC version I will at least have my credits if nothing else.

Top Bottom