Amd or nvidia

I am on the lookout for a new gpu.
I am in no hurry so happy to wait a few months.
My question is pretty simple. Some games run better fps on an amd gpu. Some are more suited to nvidia.

It's the way it is.

So does elite run better on a amd or nvidia card. Does anyone have first hand experience with comparable cards.
Elite dangerous benchmarks are not exactly commonplace on Jayz or hardware unboxed!

I am running 1440p uktrawide

I don't see that much of anything has changed in the AMD v Nvidia experience.

Amd makes good hardware that is competitively priced against Nvidia, but it always seems to fall short on driver support.

For me, it comes down to what monitor you want to use. If you have, are plan to use a high refresh rate G-Sync monitor then the answer is pretty obvious. Same holds if you plan to play games that actually use ray tracing.

If neither of the above apply, the you can likely save a little bit going the AMD route.

My son and I had this debate a few days ago as he's doing a new build in Jan (awaiting parts like everyone...) and he asked me the same question. He settled on a new ASUS LC 6800XT because he is currently running Dell 60Hz monitors and has no immediate plans to upgrade. Given that - the AMD 6800XT is actually a bit of overkill, but who doesn't like more power? ;)

For ED either one should work fine. First determine your use case and potential upgrade path. If VR, or high refresh G-Sync aren't needed and you don't anticipate playing ray tracing heavy games, AMD is fine, and you may not even need the most expensive model.

1440p ultrawide pushes a lot of pixels, so in your case, more is better. But if the monitor isn't G-Sync compatible then AMD high end is worth consideration.

Once graphics cards actually become available, I'm pretty settled on going with the Alienware 38" G-Sync Ultimate monitor and hopefully with an Nvidia 3080Ti as that will probably be well matched to the demands of the monitor.

If your 1440p is only running @60Hz it won't be as demanding. Some also only 2560X1440 as opposed to 3840X1600 on the Alienware. More pixels times higher refresh will require more video card power. 1440p Ultrawide is a bit too vague to make a specific recommendation on your particular needs.

HTH

I was trying to keep it as simple as possible. Some titles do run better on AMD or nvidia for a reason other than thyey are a more powerful card. Like tomb raider suits AMD.

I currently run 3440 x1440 with 1080ti.
On elite its pegged at 75fps which us the max on the monitor at ultra settings
Tomorrow I am looking forward to getting a 5140x1440 so I hope my 1080ti will continue to be able to run it at somewhere close to 100fps(120max)
Moving forward I want upgrade the gpu and fit my current monitor on top in a dual set up.
So that's a 3080 or 6800xt straight away.
1 will have the advantage which is why I would like to which elite
I only play elite
I would prefer AMD but fps is king

Last edited:
I ran my beastie in two different locations playing elite London silky smooth
the performance I got in cornwall was abysmal as the fibre was just pants and had a fps knock on effect it would seem
so connection and location may be a factor too

I've been torn between the 49" and 38" monitors for a while now as there are now good options in both. The Samsung Odyssey G9 is attractive and I've looked at 49" screens at Microcenter, but I'm leaning more toward the Alienware 38" because of how I play having multiple monitors running with Inara, eddb, EDengineer and a host of other things running while I'm playin ED. For my setup I think the 38" will work better but either should provide an awesome ED experience - perhaps just short of VR which I don't think I'd adapt to very well.

The G9 will need as much video card as it can get and the Alienware won't be far behind.

Either is a great choice for ED, but both are G-Sync monitors which would push me in that direction.

YMMV

Not a major concern yet as I can't get any high end video card currently due to lack of availability...

So does elite run better on a amd or nvidia card.

No.

Elite: Dangerous is a DX11 title that doesn't use any proprietary features or have any particular biases of note.

Any modern upper-mid range part will handle the game very well at this resolution.

Either is a great choice for ED, but both are G-Sync monitors which would push me in that direction.

The Samsung G9 isn't hardware G-SYNC and it's variable refresh rate capabilities will work fine on both AMD and NVIDA GPUs.

The Alienware 38" is G-SYNC ultimate, which has the hardware module. I do believe the newest generation (which should be on the AW3821DW) allows AMD cards to use basic VRR capabilities on them, but not anything specifically limited to the hardware G-SYNC processor.

Went for the 49 inch. Plugged it in. Ran elite at 120 fps on ultra settings on my 1080ti. Dropped to 100 in asteroids and around stations so I was pleasantly surprised.
BUT. I didnt like the monitor. Sounds strange but it was 2 big. It ate my desk. The curve was too much for my liking. If it was in a corner it might have been better so I sent it back
Got the 38 alienware instead. Very nice. 140 fps everywhere. Slightly bigger than my 34 ultrawide to just make a difference and less curve.

So I put my 34 above it to see if I can run both screens in game.
2 hours messing around later and still no joy.
I have tried dropping resolutions and limiting frame rates just to get it working but no good. Any ideas anyone

Went for the 49 inch. Plugged it in. Ran elite at 120 fps on ultra settings on my 1080ti. Dropped to 100 in asteroids and around stations so I was pleasantly surprised.
BUT. I didnt like the monitor. Sounds strange but it was 2 big. It ate my desk. The curve was too much for my liking. If it was in a corner it might have been better so I sent it back
Got the 38 alienware instead. Very nice. 140 fps everywhere. Slightly bigger than my 34 ultrawide to just make a difference and less curve.

So I put my 34 above it to see if I can run both screens in game.
2 hours messing around later and still no joy.
I have tried dropping resolutions and limiting frame rates just to get it working but no good. Any ideas anyone

You might just be up against trying to push too many pixels. I have a 34", a 27" and two 24" monitors attached to my PC. I had issues when I attached the 4th monitor and ultimately had to add a second video card to run the 4th monitor without problems.

You might need to do the same to push that many pixels. My cards aren't connected internally - just using the second card to drive the smaller monitors.

If I pin it at 60 fps it should be ok to just run. I mean getting the pair to run as dual screen using the nvidia software

If I pin it at 60 fps it should be ok to just run. I mean getting the pair to run as dual screen using the nvidia software

Refresh rate isn't the same as total pixel count. Once you exceed the total number of pixels the video card can process, you start running into problems. When I originally set up my 4 monitors I was able to get everything working but I started having consistent problems. Once I added the second video card all those problems disappeared.

All my monitors are Dell 60Hz

YMMV

Last edited:
I am on the lookout for a new gpu.
I am in no hurry so happy to wait a few months.
My question is pretty simple. Some games run better fps on an amd gpu. Some are more suited to nvidia.

It's the way it is.

So does elite run better on a amd or nvidia card. Does anyone have first hand experience with comparable cards.
Elite dangerous benchmarks are not exactly commonplace on Jayz or hardware unboxed!

i havnt played elite on this new card yet. waiting to restart the game when Odyssey drops.
however. i am currently playing 2077 and Valhalla. the card is very impressive, more so than the 1060 i used for 6mths.
i am tempted to play elite, but exitement for odyssey out weighs the need to play.
my fps for 2077, 54fps ultra, 4K, 3840 x 2160
the fps for Valhalla, 60fps same resolution.
amd i havnt used is 8yrs so a lot has more than likly changed. reason i jumped to nvidia all those yrs ago, was because i kept frying them.
nvidia i do rate.
i usually put a liquid cooler on my gpu. this time i couldnt. i have to use standard cooling on it.
though the gpu is aircooled. i am impressed i can clock to 2000mhz with temps rising to 76c.
gpu in sig.

Top Bottom