PvP Frontier created PVP gankers. By design.

Given Frontier's stance on player freedom, i.e. a player's choice of who to play with (or who not to play with) precedes and may over-ride the desire of others to play with them, I doubt that the block feature will be going anywhere....
Fingers crossed! Now if we could just be done with the "block shaming" in the forum. Oh wait, the forum also has a block feature! ;)

If it's some PvE rando blocking someone who's out to gank, I don't really care. Not much different from them switching modes at the end of the day.

It's PvP folks who block other PvP people to prevent instancing because of a skill disparity. It's incredibly rare, but it happens.

It's hard enough to get everyone instanced properly as it is, and that's just another layer of garbage on top of what we already contend with.

God forbid anyone has wingmate one blocked, and wingmate two is from Australia!

Not long ago, one newcomer had to explain once again the difference between single and open play. Many do not understand that this is one game.

A simple analogy came to mind:
solo = black list : ALL
open = black list : OPTIONALLY CMDR
private = white list : OPTIONALLY CMDR.

Honestly, they wouldn't need all these modes if they just gave players the option to flag themselves out of PvP. Give it a cooldown of about an hour after last log out before you can toggle it back to PvP-enabled and it probably can't feasibly be abused to grief people. Boom. Don't have to empty the galaxy of players and the PvPers can still have ganking if they want it--only by consent instead of something resembling a "struggle snuggle." Everyone can enjoy the game how they want to at that point and PvE players aren't penalized for no reason.

i think everybody have to play the game as desired.
BUT
if you can do pve stuff shaded in solo and in cannot counter your activity in other mode this is unbalanced, no matters if you do mining, exploration, or whatelse, is unbalanced because you forced me to play solo, to avoid pvp, to permit me to make the some ammount of pve as you. is this a good thing? i dont like

My view is that, in my view the attitude is wrong!

If we were taken off the leash (no repercussions) in the real world would we all start ganking and shooting each other?

Some Cmdr.'s take their Ethics into the game and actually may feel guilt when Atomising a Beluga full of passengers as a mission target (or for another reason).

There are other gamers who just see it as a way to annoy or upset people, I wouldn't mind PvP if you got taken down to a level that allowed you to get back to a station but for some there is no Fun in that.

I am, like so many of you. Somewhere in between those two.
Pug

Don't like it then don't do it...
No-one but you is forcing you to do anything 🤷‍♂️
honestly i dont understand your logic. we are all play a game and this game have some goal to reach i want to reach that goal but solo player ruins my experience because they in fact can have better ratio than me in open, so i am forced to do the same in solo. can you understand now?

honestly i dont understand your logic. we are all play a game and this game have some goal to reach i want to reach that goal but solo player ruins my experience because they in fact can have better ratio than me in open, so i am forced to do the same in solo. can you understand now?
Yes, but in the open game there are people who do not play the game and just preventing others from doing so, and for some reason in their opinion this is the game.

How do you know a solo player is ruining your experience, do you have proof?
Are you certain it may not be other players in different timezones to yours, or even on a different platform?

You have made the same unsubstantiated comment in the past, that 'solo' is to blame for all of your perceived issues, because 'solo', obviously!

How do you know a solo player is ruining your experience, do you have proof?
Are you certain it may not be other players in different timezones to yours, or even on a different platform?

You have made the same unsubstantiated comment in the past, that 'solo' is to blame for all of your perceived issues, because 'solo', obviously!

The idea that BGS efforts have a higher return in Solo is implicit in the function of various mechanisms.

Open, because of the CMDR element that is the entire reason for choosing the mode, mandates certain precautions that are only burdensome in Solo, because NPCs are fundamentally less threatening.

There is no way for a player to know precise details of who is doing what, but if traffic is high enough, it's a statistical given that there are characters who cannot be directly interacted with, specifically due to them operating in Solo. There are myriad other reasons too, but the mode system is definitely one of them, and is tantamount to a difficulty setting in some areas, when that was never it's intended purpose.

Personally, I've never had a big problem with the abstraction of the mode/instancing system, but I definitely sympathize with complaints around the de facto greater difficulty of Open.

This game has some goal to reach?

Whatever goals one has in mind.

The idea that BGS efforts have a higher return in Solo is implicit in the function of various mechanisms.
I'd not disagree entirely - there are, naturally circumstances where mode would make absolutely no difference BGS wise (no opposition), but there are 2 consoles which currently are 'invisible' not only to each other but to PC players, there are multiple time zones and the OP is well acquainted with the fact that others playing in solo cannot be proven. The OP also believes that every other issue with the game is blamed on solo (apart from proven bugs!)

But this is a timeless argument along the lines of every other debate that springs up over game mechanics that are disliked by someone or another - everyone is right.

I thought we were talking about things that are real (in the context of the game) as opposed to all the fancy things we make up in our heads. I don't even need a game for the latter...

In such a context, BGS goals are as real as anything. This is more true than ever, given how most other measures of accomplishment have been continually devalued by ever increasing supply and accessibility.

Or just gank. I got interdicted the other day in my cargo cutter. Ohh he was good...showed my weps (just a hodgepodge of leftovers) were crap. So redone weps. New dizzy. Smaller pp. Now I think she's ready for ganking again... least i fought and high waked after a few sc attempts to get away, got out in one piece.
We need more gankers. Cos it's great fun surviving it, and fun for the pvper I guess. Building ships that can survive an attack.
It is fun to survive ganks, but when the gankers succeed and you're blown up for essentially no reason, it makes me mad lol

The incredible elite dangerous flight model is most glorious when put to the limit. And due to the provincial AI, that limit can only be experienced via humans.

To me, people who choose to not even try consensual, friendly PvP or worse yet, disparage PvP because they got blown up once, are like visitors to the Metropolitan Museum of Art who visit only the first floor and gift shop.

The engineering unlocks require trading, mining, PvE combat and exploration.
It would have been great to require a PvP encounter. I do understand how difficult the implementation of that would be. However, the chance that the significant bias against PvP might have been ameliorated would have been wonderful.

I am hoping the FPS elements of Odyssey will better inform those who decry PvP in space ships.

The 1:1 copy of the Milky Way galaxy is extraordinary. Equally extraordinary is the flight model. But as in all things, brilliant abstractions have always been more slow to be appreciated.

Last edited:
The outcomes and consequences of the BGS work are far too weak to pass seriously as goals.

As compared to what? Credits are free, materials are cheap, and the rest mostly just a collection of stats of dubious relevance requiring only trivial effort to max out as far as any recognition the game itself provides.

Putting one's name--or the name of a faction they've adopted as their own--on things, shaping the few areas we have agency over, to reflect the will of our characters? That's about all the tangible in-game reward we get and the only one that is particularly reflective of any actual effort. My CMDR has been triple elite forever and max naval rank for quite some time. He has all but one accessible system permit, all Engineers maxed out, twenty fully Engineered ships, and perpetually full material bins...none of which means much of anything in comparison to his BGS accomplishments and failures, which are the only living in-game record or reflection of his existence.

...none of which means much of anything in comparison to his BGS accomplishments and failures, which are the only living in-game record or reflection of his existence.

Well, Morbad, this particular Commander has been very much influenced by you, in and out of game. Although I am sure that when I do reflect on you, it may not be as accurate as you would like, I do think of you. And I am still alive.

:)

The incredible elite dangerous flight model is most glorious when put to the limit. And due to the provincial AI, that limit can only be experienced via humans.
You are wrong!
The fact that NPCs howl badly it is only the fault of people. They have many times asked to weaken the NPC, recently I was summoned to a duel and I asked me to turn off police assistance or not ? The answer - whatever :(
Is this normal ?
Try to kill the Basilisk ? Do 1 wing mission to destroy the pirate lord, etc.
I believe that the developers could easily make that in safe systems guards can kill any sophisticated person, but for some reason they do not do THIS.

Compared to any better single player game. I partly blame the MMO disease for this kind of empty superficiality, seems to be a requirement if not an inherent necessity of MMOs nowadays.

I have largely the opposite viewpoint. For me, it's single player games that usually feel hollow and devoid of real agency. Some tell good stories and tell them well, but there are only a handful that wouldn't achieve the the same effect better through another medium.

Well, Morbad, this particular Commander has been very much influenced by you, in and out of game. Although I am sure that when I do reflect on you, it may not be as accurate as you would like, I do think of you. And I am still alive.

:)

Yes, the influence we have on each other and each other's characters is the primary form of content of most any multi-player game. Outside of the behavior of other player-characters we influence, the game doesn't do a particularly good job of giving us much agency or depicting the agency we do have.

I think Frillop is looking for a more overt tokenization of in-game achievement.

This game has some goal to reach? This is new to me. I must have missed something, please enlighten me. What goal is it? 😆
Hmm. Didn't you play Elite 1 or Frontier? The goal of the game has not changed - it's to become an Elite.
Those who achieve all these ranks remain in the game at will, coming up with different things to do.

Top Bottom