A question about Imperial slaves....

This is not really about playing the game, as I don't (yet anyway) trade in them, but I am writing backstory for my character and I wanted to know, is it completely against Empire law for a minor (about fourteen in this case) to be an Imperial slave? My pilot is now grown up and a former slave, flying his own ship, but I'm writing his backstory and I don't want to inadvertently write something about him that's contrary to Imperial law.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
This discussion might more properly belong in the Lore and Roleplay area.

I don't think the officially-released lore discusses the children of slaves. Obviously, the children of regular slaves are slaves too, just like with historic slavery on Earth. But I do not know if this extends to Imperial Slavery. Nominally, Imperial Slaves are still citizens, who have (temporarily) renounced their rights as citizens in order to pay off a debt. If two Imperial Slaves, or an Imperial Slave and a Free Citizen, have a child, it seems to me to stand to reason that the child would on paper be a free citizen too. However, if the debt is large enough, it seems likely that one person;s life work could not cover it, so the debtor's entire family, including non-adult children, might be sold into slavery too. The Empire has enslaved entire planets in the past on this basis, and I can't see them giving exemptions to children.

Of course, it's also entirely possible that, as part of the process of becoming an Imperial Slave, their capacity to have children is also surgically, medically or genetically removed from them, which would largely remove the basis for the question.

Of course, it's also entirely possible that, as part of the process of becoming an Imperial Slave, their capacity to have children is also surgically, medically or genetically removed from them, which would largely remove the basis for the question.

Unless already pregnant?

Don't spampost please

You can ask mods to move threads..

Of course you realise that Empire does not allow "slavery" ?
You (or your parent/s work off a debt...)

Much more palatable.

If we were comparing to to historic Indentured servitude, then in most counties the children wouldn't be considered as slaves. there were some where debts were considered a family responsibility but most contracted servitude did not apply to Children.

In the case of the Empire if it did apply to children I think the lore would make more of it, as enforced child labour would kind of be a political point to make by non-empire factions.

But that said, Indentured Servitude is outlawed now in most places through acceptance of the Universal declaration of Human Rights as a form of slavery. This was the case as those subject to it were often worked to death in squalid conditions with little protection from the law. They would need permission to marry, and where allowed the extra expense of a family to support would often lead to increased debt that could not be paid off in lifetime.

So you could still have been raised in absolute poverty, to parents with no real rights, to an owner who abused his imperial slaves and played the system to increase their debt and years of servitude. This could well mean that when you came of age you chose to take on some of their debt burden as an Imperial Slave yourself so that they may 1 day be free from it.

Or you could have just been the child of 1 of the thousands of Imperial Slaves who are sold outside of the empire every day who could then find themselves as simply slaves from that point.

My take would be that only people over the age of majority could be iSlaves - they have to have the ability to pledge their indenture. It's an individual thing, and used to pay debts owed by that individual.
How it can be abused is another matter of course ...
I found a lucrative route for trading these early in my career, and they certainly helped with my debt problem!
o7

With such an ordered, stratified society, I believe a child's status would be indeterminate until they reached majority? The Imperial Slave Master may have some legal obligation to provide for them if they're there, but a child's legal position would be kind of in suspension, maybe. It is an interesting point for sure.

In the case of the Empire if it did apply to children I think the lore would make more of it, as enforced child labour would kind of be a political point to make by non-empire factions.
But "Imperial Slavery" != enforced labour, right? At least, not strictly speaking. Enforced child labour would be, as far as I'm aware, paramount to mistreatment within Imperial
society.

Rather, a child would be "schooled" through ISA facilities until such a point they are of age and able to render service, if the debt of their parents was so great as to extend beyond the service of their parents.

Unless already pregnant?

Whether or not a woman is currently pregnant when scheduled for sterilization, is not a consideration in some repressive cultures today. I do not know the Empire's official position on this. Judging from their propaganda, the Empire claims to place a high value on human life and dignity, but I do no know if that respect for human life extends to the children of Imperial Slaves, whether born or unborn.

I actually would assume it does. Historically, the Empire went through a population boom in centuries past, expanding as rapidly as physically possible in an effort to out-grow the much larger Federation. Civilizations where childbirth and childrearing are officially encouraged and rewarded tend not to simultaneously be civilizations where children are routinely abused and mistreated. A child of a Slave is still a child of the Empire, and the Empire has, historically, needed all the children it could get.

I think @Jmanis has a valid point. I would therefore assume that a child born to a Slave would normally be considered free, though perhaps involuntarily separated from its family and raised in an Imperial government creche until the slavery contract is completed.

I doubt you wouldn't be able to become an Imperial slave as a child as it's a legal contract which you would need to be an adult to sign. Further to this is that assuming the slave owner adheres to Imperial law, this would basically equate to a fixed term working contract (without the ability to for the slave to leave prior to repayment of debt or whatever other conditions).

The idea of being a former Imperial slave would work however, as once the contract has been fulfilled, the slave is transitioned into normal life again, which could well include joining the pilot's federation.

If you wanted to explore a darker side however, it is recognised that out on the frontier, adherence to Imperial law generally can be a little lax. Honour and outward appearance is viewed very highly though and any mistreatment of slaves would not be done by anyone who has something to lose by having their image tarnished.

If we were comparing to to historic Indentured servitude, then in most counties the children wouldn't be considered as slaves. there were some where debts were considered a family responsibility but most contracted servitude did not apply to Children.

But that said, Indentured Servitude is outlawed now in most places through acceptance of the Universal declaration of Human Rights as a form of slavery. This was the case as those subject to it were often worked to death in squalid conditions with little protection from the law. They would need permission to marry, and where allowed the extra expense of a family to support would often lead to increased debt that could not be paid off in lifetime.

So you could still have been raised in absolute poverty, to parents with no real rights, to an owner who abused his imperial slaves and played the system to increase their debt and years of servitude. This could well mean that when you came of age you chose to take on some of their debt burden as an Imperial Slave yourself so that they may 1 day be free from it.

Or you could have just been the child of 1 of the thousands of Imperial Slaves who are sold outside of the empire every day who could then find themselves as simply slaves from that point.

Brilliant reply, thanks. Rogue slavery is not an option, sadly (it would be convenient though), as my pilot grew up in Summerland and went semi-regularly to Achenar for business trips with the lady of the household. Plus, his iSlavery ended when a certain time was up, and part of the largesse he received was a few shekels which got him some pilot training.

I doubt you wouldn't be able to become an Imperial slave as a child as it's a legal contract which you would need to be an adult to sign. Further to this is that assuming the slave owner adheres to Imperial law, this would basically equate to a fixed term working contract (without the ability to for the slave to leave prior to repayment of debt or whatever other conditions).

The idea of being a former Imperial slave would work however, as once the contract has been fulfilled, the slave is transitioned into normal life again, which could well include joining the pilot's federation.

If you wanted to explore a darker side however, it is recognised that out on the frontier, adherence to Imperial law generally can be a little lax. Honour and outward appearance is viewed very highly though and any mistreatment of slaves would not be done by anyone who has something to lose by having their image tarnished.

I'm guessing that Summerland is NOT very close to the forntier?

I'll repeat: spampost? What about what I just posted here could be considered "spam"?

"Spamposting" is posting the same topic multiple times in different subforums. The usual Internet forum etiquette, if you find you've made a post in the wrong place, is to click on the "Report" link in the bottom left corner of the post, and tell the forum moderators you'd like the thread moved to its proper location.

Welcome back Harley!!!

As I understand it, you are a wee bit off on imperial slavery law, but I'll let others correct yo on that front. In the interim, how have you been? Last I seen you was a while ago when you were looking to get a hospital established in the name of SAP core? AFIK that went ahead and later even featured in a community created short film?

Top Bottom