A question about Imperial slaves....

OP, does it matter? It's your story so you can spin it any way you want. Each system seem to be a micro cosmos in itself so you could spin your story the way you want. F.e. in your particular system it was illegal but you had a good owner from whom you learned a trick or 2 to manage a ship. Just like Anakin.

OP, does it matter? It's your story so you can spin it any way you want. Each system seem to be a micro cosmos in itself so you could spin your story the way you want. F.e. in your particular system it was illegal but you had a good owner from whom you learned a trick or 2 to manage a ship. Just like Anakin.

Good question I guess. It does matter, as my character has a very specific number of boxes his background needs to tick and I don't want any of them to violate Imperial law as it exists in the Elite canon. He definitely did not have a good owner. He (or his parents, if necessary) were legally-owned slaves who had a master who was negligent an an idiot, who had a wife who was outright villainous. I can't really make my guy an illegal slave from a different, independent background, as his backstory is very much tied in to the Empire.

"Spamposting" is posting the same topic multiple times in different subforums. The usual Internet forum etiquette, if you find you've made a post in the wrong place, is to click on the "Report" link in the bottom left corner of the post, and tell the forum moderators you'd like the thread moved to its proper location.

Ah, I see. Thank you for the tip. It's been many years since I used a forum.

Good question I guess. It does matter, as my character has a very specific number of boxes his background needs to tick and I don't want any of them to violate Imperial law as it exists in the Elite canon. He definitely did not have a good owner. He (or his parents, if necessary) were legally-owned slaves who had a master who was negligent an an idiot, who had a wife who was outright villainous. I can't really make my guy an illegal slave from a different, independent background, as his backstory is very much tied in to the Empire.
No doubt Imperial justice can be avoided if someone has the right connections. Same as today, really...

If we consider imperial slaves with indentured servants.

With indentured servants.
It would be under contract, clearly defined with terms and benefits, and an indentured would not release rights, he was always considered his own man.
One common use would be for transport fee, like the cost of travel from Europe to Amerika, during travel they where maybe not traveling first class but they where considered and treated as passengers. Dduring service
remain free to marry, walk around town, attend education etc as long as his contracted labour was performed.

It does not seem that this contract would normally or legally affect family members.

Couple of points to thi k about, that may or may not sway your story in some way....
  • not all imperial slaves are treated well and legally. Slaves in 'edge' systems away from the centre of the empire, where influence and security are less, are probably treated more like regular slaves (mentioned in Elite: Reclamation).
  • people may have become slaves while pregnant or while they have young children. I wouldn't expect the children to be taken off them - they would raise their children along side their slave duties. Some slaves may even get pregnant while in slavery (a couple may enter slavery together, or their slave 'master' might be the father).

I think alot of it depends on where they are located, what their 'master' is like, etc and IMO, you wouldn't be going against lore by being a child raised in imperial slavery. My back story is similar, but coming from regular slavery, not the imperial side of things.

Couple of points to thi k about, that may or may not sway your story in some way....
  • not all imperial slaves are treated well and legally. Slaves in 'edge' systems away from the centre of the empire, where influence and security are less, are probably treated more like regular slaves (mentioned in Elite: Reclamation).
  • people may have become slaves while pregnant or while they have young children. I wouldn't expect the children to be taken off them - they would raise their children along side their slave duties. Some slaves may even get pregnant while in slavery (a couple may enter slavery together, or their slave 'master' might be the father).

I think alot of it depends on where they are located, what their 'master' is like, etc and IMO, you wouldn't be going against lore by being a child raised in imperial slavery. My back story is similar, but coming from regular slavery, not the imperial side of things.
Thanks for that. I need to find a good story mechanic for a fourteen year-old becoming an (Imperial) slave, though.

Sounds like you came across a corrupt governor - one who decided not to look too carefully at birth certificates.
Also possible that his/my parents are Imperial slaves and the son, although not one, is still somewhat under-the-thumb as a result, even if not officially a slave him/myself. Does that sound plausible?

And yes, corruption is definitely in here somewhere. The "master" bloke is simply uncaring and his missus is outright evil.

just go with the hex-edit deus ex machina that fdev falls on to explain away any kind of discrepancies. Then you can't trust anything you remember ...and neither can anyone else.

Boom, backstory handled. Elite dangerous style.

We don't know what the legal age of adulthood is in the Empire. As a culture which (as I noted earlier) has a history of encouraging and requiring its people to have children early and often, it seems likely that the age of adulthood might be lower than what 21st century Earth would find comfortable - just as people from Victorian England would have been offended at the idea that an 18 year old would be considered an adult. In Iran today, a girl legally becomes adult at age 9. So a 14 year old in the Empire might be legally an adult, for slavery purposes.

just go with the hex-edit deus ex machina that fdev falls on to explain away any kind of discrepancies. Then you can't trust anything you remember ...and neither can anyone else.

Boom, backstory handled. Elite dangerous style.

Can you explain that a bit more? I'm not too sure what you mean.

We don't know what the legal age of adulthood is in the Empire. As a culture which (as I noted earlier) has a history of encouraging and requiring its people to have children early and often, it seems likely that the age of adulthood might be lower than what 21st century Earth would find comfortable - just as people from Victorian England would have been offended at the idea that an 18 year old would be considered an adult. In Iran today, a girl legally becomes adult at age 9. So a 14 year old in the Empire might be legally an adult, for slavery purposes.

Cunning!

Top Bottom