ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

@londonx @thistle Yes, 21st April is too strangely specific to be serious. And I'm not searching for conspiracy theories. But If I have to I would say: On April 21st Romus and Romulus founded Rome.
And about that dishonesty... Well. If someone from Frontier put April on Steam they could inform the community. For me "Hi, we've put April because it's worst date scenario and we all should expect delay" would be better that "don't trust other sources". Source of that date is Frontier. So I'm not trusting.
∆∆
That might have been due to quarterly financial reporting reasons. Just like that last investor call their management had before game release

I understand that, I meant that I thought it would be easier to develop for consoles.

I imagine that it would be quite a challenge developing software to run well on systems with a ton of different hardware variables.

Modern development all starts on PC and then you have separate builds for the consoles. Write once, build many times. All they are doing here is putting the console builds on ice and focusing solely on the PC build - therefore massively increasing the speed of development.

I understand that, I meant that I thought it would be easier to develop for consoles.

I imagine that it would be quite a challenge developing software to run well on systems with a ton of different hardware variables.

Generally it is. Some developers do prioritise console ahead of PC.
Consoles only have one or two hardware configurations and limited input options. As I understand it, games are built on a PC dev rig and then tweaked using the console configuration (RAM, CPU, GPU, etc).
The reason for releasing on PC, with all of it's hardware variations is that it provides the biggest market share.

Last edited:

Its more about the skillset and time to develop for proprietry hardware and SDKs (software development kits), it was a well known issue when basically every console and home computer was proprietry and hardware updates to models would generally be incompatible. Often different software houses would do different ports on different systems depending on their expertise so they would all arise at different times and be of vastly different qualities, if the port was inhouse it would usually be a case of developing for your system of choice (depending on market share) and do a quick sub-optimised port for other systems. It was the rise of the PC as a gaming platform that finally looked to standarise game development ironically because of the even greater variety of hardware arising from the competition of an open hardware platform, think of all those sound cards, controllers and graphics cards that appeared in the 90s and 00s just because the business born IBM compatible had no clue about gaming.

Consoles were always a different ideology to the home computer being born more from the Arcade experience of gaming as a polished consumer product and tightly controlled. The home computers by contrast were anything goes and had a huge software base of often terrible but sometimes inspired games written in bedrooms. So now we have a weird situation unimaginable even in the early 90s where the PC is now the default game platform now standarised at the software layer via programming interfaces and a more narrow choice of game specific hardware, ie AMD or NVIDIA cards going hand in hand with updates to the most widespread programming layer interfaces. Plus pretty much industry standards everywhere else ie USB for controllers.

The consoles find themselves in the ever suspect position of requiring to be closed proprietry hardware to a) promote performance gains at a certain price point (however in reality console hardware development has always been subsidised by games sales) and b) to promote a sealed off eco system for maximum profit. The console companies would often buy entire software houses or pay them to develop games for their hardware launch by giving them development kit well in advance so it would always be a chosen few who would get to develop the skillset with no investment required. This is bound to be the case with ED and the PS5 launch where they probably calculated that Odyssey would originally have been launched either before the PS5 (original Summer 2020 date) or too close to actual launch (end of 2020 release revision) to make it worth while investing in skilling up and distracting valuable development resources.

Last edited:
So, basically when console players will get in, whole bubble will be covered in "First disembarked" marks
and all POIs as well

Yep, and when the server's are shut down some day, no one will care...

Also, there's always the option of getting a PC if anyone's life is being completely ruined by the prospect of not getting their gamer name on some digital asset. 🤨

Also, remember that there are only so many planets in the bubble and most of them will be tagged by a small group of people whose only goal will be to get their digital name on game assets.

Even though I prefer to game in my living room, I do have a pretty decent PC. I picked up a second copy of ED yesterday and now I get to enjoy Odyssey a little sooner :D

Mine is four year's old now and a bit long in the tooth but here's - post #40 - an interesting fact:

Last edited:
Would people be happier if the 'First Footfall' award for being first to walk around a planet is disabled until the console release is ready?

I don't mind missing out on that until the Xbox and playstation catches up.
No, this would not change anything, at least not for me.
It's not about tagging something, it's about being part of a new era.
To be there when we all go down a new exciting path together.

Last edited:
Man, so glad I made the switch to PC back and September and bought into the Pre-order. Totally understandable due to the current Global Situation with the Pandemic. I have catching up to do on this account in the meantime..

Gary

No, this would not change anything, at least not for me.
It's not about tagging something, it's about being part of a new era.
To be there when we all go down a new exciting path together.

Both are issues for me as a console player. If the delay was for all, that's fine, we're all in it together, and when the game releases, we're all exploring this new era together... but a phased roll out, with months between PC and console... it will just not be the same experience for some console players, as individuals or as a community. Its a personal thing. To some people its not a problem, to others, it might well be.

Personally after a long period of inactivity in ED, the whole Odyssey hype and marketing had enthused me to re-start my ED playing, with now a few months spent earning more in game experience and credits (as well as building up some free ARX) and trying new stuff like BGS work... all this with one eye on the Spring 2021 release. Quite simply its got me back into the game. But the announcement yesterday has really taken the wind out of my sails. After the shocking year we've just had, people just need something to look forward to... and this small, but important, thing has been well and truly kicked way down the road for part of the ED community.

I really hope that any new "firsts" or progression which may be accessible to PC players is disabled until we all join the party. Again, to some, a flag in the dirt is unimportant, but to others, it is. I've got a system deep out in the black which I've got first Discovered, and then when the Mapping feature was introduced I travelled back out to get first mapping on it. That's my system. Now the chances of somebody getting first footfall (or whatever it might be) on that system are low... but have you any idea how gutting it will be if a PC player gets it before me, not because of my lack of skill, or my bad planning, or lack of perseverance, but down to corporate software release scheduling. I mean. Really?

Oh and to those who suggest if its that important, go out and buy a PC gaming rig... well at the moment, with the way the world is, not everybody has the luxury of splurging that sort of cash around...

Anyway, o7 commanders... ALL commanders.

Both are issues for me as a console player. If the delay was for all, that's fine, we're all in it together, and when the game releases, we're all exploring this new era together... but a phased roll out, with months between PC and console... it will just not be the same experience for some console players, as individuals or as a community. Its a personal thing. To some people its not a problem, to others, it might well be.

Personally after a long period of inactivity in ED, the whole Odyssey hype and marketing had enthused me to re-start my ED playing, with now a few months spent earning more in game experience and credits (as well as building up some free ARX) and trying new stuff like BGS work... all this with one eye on the Spring 2021 release. Quite simply its got me back into the game. But the announcement yesterday has really taken the wind out of my sails. After the shocking year we've just had, people just need something to look forward to... and this small, but important, thing has been well and truly kicked way down the road for part of the ED community.

I really hope that any new "firsts" or progression which may be accessible to PC players is disabled until we all join the party. Again, to some, a flag in the dirt is unimportant, but to others, it is. I've got a system deep out in the black which I've got first Discovered, and then when the Mapping feature was introduced I travelled back out to get first mapping on it. That's my system. Now the chances of somebody getting first footfall (or whatever it might be) on that system are low... but have you any idea how gutting it will be if a PC player gets it before me, not because of my lack of skill, or my bad planning, or lack of perseverance, but down to corporate software release scheduling. I mean. Really?

Oh and to those who suggest if its that important, go out and buy a PC gaming rig... well at the moment, with the way the world is, not everybody has the luxury of splurging that sort of cash around...

Anyway, o7 commanders... ALL commanders.

Very well said CMDR. 👏

1610647258684.png

They should make it so you can get your butt out of an SRV and allow rope tethering to your ship so that you can pull the idiot out of a crystalline cluster ! Psm never mind about being 2k light years away from Ashby city spending 30 odd mins to get to shared locations only to get stuck quite easily if your not too overly careful lol

So yeh fix the current problems I’d be happy with waiting for more possible ass ache problems

Last edited:
Considering Frontier have shown off "Alpha" footage throughout their reveals, for a game they said was due early Q1 2021, doesn't that kind of tell us all that they just didn't have it ready and never had any intention of releasing it that soon?

They can drag their heels all they want right now when Covid remains a viable excuse, so in theory, we might not even see the release at all this year on console. What's worse, if the PC edition proves to be garbage, they will have killed all enthusiasm for the console edition full stop. They also play the time game whereby momentum for the PS5 and Xbox Series X picks up and people move onto new games, only to see their release for Odyssey on last gen consoles fall into muted response. They really need to get next gen editions ready with this delay. If they haven't even started on them then they're truly lost.

Considering Frontier have shown off "Alpha" footage throughout their reveals, for a game they said was due early Q1 2021, doesn't that kind of tell us all that they just didn't have it ready and never had any intention of releasing it that soon?

They can drag their heels all they want right now when Covid remains a viable excuse, so in theory, we might not even see the release at all this year on console. What's worse, if the PC edition proves to be garbage, they will have killed all enthusiasm for the console edition full stop. They also play the time game whereby momentum for the PS5 and Xbox Series X picks up and people move onto new games, only to see their release for Odyssey on last gen consoles fall into muted response. They really need to get next gen editions ready with this delay. If they haven't even started on them then they're truly lost.
Glad to see you are looking forward to playing Odyssey.

So is this a second or third delay? Im losing count? See, this is why they call us console people "peasants". Because its exactly how we are treated, second class.

Ask the console guys over at cp2077 how they enjoyed being treated as first class. Also, if you want to be treated as an equal to the superior PC Master Race you might want to not lose count after 'two or three'. I mean, there have to be some standards and one of them is the ability to reliably, consistently and confidently be able to count all the way to four.

Noticed the delay had made it to the Mail Online website today- they were mainly dealing with the delays of businesses working from home.
Also noticed the comments there were more understanding and favourable than many posts on this Forum!

Top Bottom