Allow buying and selling Mats

You're not wrong at all, but it still does not address what I'm actually trying to say. Who does the current system benefit and who would it hurt if it was toned down?

With regards to the last paragraph, I'm not one for extreme measures. As I said, I'm not advocating getting rid of the grind altogether, just making it less tedious. Yes, I did chose the tedium - the alternative would've been doing something less tedious but for a significantly longer period of time (which would be tedious in different way).

So the thing is, if you do not collect stuff during normal gameplay, you will not have stuff when you need it, so it now turns into how do I get the stuff I need, and this in turn make you go for the fastest way to get the stuff you need to proceed with task you need this stuff for.

If you played the more opportunistic way, by checking the mission boards from time to for easy todo mission, that rewards with G5 material, which then can be used to trade down at good rates for the other stuff you need, so this works great for Data and Manufactured material, so over time you will fill up these things, and have to visit a material to trade these for other stuff, so you can keep collecting this stuff even more, so this works for when you doing BGS stuff, or if you feel like going bounty hunting and pick some massacre missions etc that have G5 material reward.

So there are already options in the game do what you are after. So when you get around to do some engineering upgrade next time, you should have collected a descent amount of Data and Manufactured material to use at a material trader for most of your needs, the only thing we can't get is Raw material this way. So this would now have used existing game options to avoid having to do the repetitive stuff most of the times.

Grind has a very loose 'individual' definition.

But, assuming that everything was available to every player immediately, no need for credits, materials gathering, ranking up for the superpowers, no 'grindy' missions etc. Exactly what would the game have to offer a player? Serious question.

I'd spend a lot more time Killing Thargoids / Mining / Space Trucking / Fiddling with the BGS / Running Missions. A lot more time. As it is, over half my time gets spent overcoming logistical hurdles to playing with other people. The carrier dramatically improved logistical problems by providing a single movable base of operations, but the cost of maintaining that logistical base is stupidly high. The idea that repetitive grind-like activity constitutes good game-play is badly misplaced. If someone finds the activity fun, I'm all for them having the option to engage in it, but it shouldn't be linked to progression in any meaningful way.

...and to forestall the inevitable "maybe carriers aren't for you" asininity. The carrier is covered for about two decades.

Heck no.

There is no sane price that could be given to materials that doesn't:
  • make actual material collection absolutely redundant; or
  • make any economic sense unless you farm the usual broken credit faucets
To provide more context, a G5 material is currently worth 400k. Credits are way too easy to obtain for that to be a meaningful value, and scaling that up to a higher value just places even more emphasis on broken credit grinds.
The in-game economy already doesn't make any economic sense. Why would you hold material pricing (and only material pricing) to that standard? I'm curious as to how you came up with 400k / G5 mat (genuinely curious, time spent gathering vs. same amount of time Credit Farming?). As a trial, I'd run G5 mats assuming roughly 500,000 CR/Hour vs. the time requirement for traditional methods of acquiring G5 material.

Up to 36 million is stupidly high?
100k per jump?
Free Tritium? (or almost)

Both of mine have had the week 'paid for' in the first 40 minutes of play following the Thursday tick, am I doing something wrong in finding them so easy to finance?

Not terribly difficult to generate the weekly fee, but I don't always have an hour-ish to dump into the game so time spent on maintenance directly competes with time spent in the wing. Last week's big project was unlocking most of the guardian tech for three wing-mates - didn't leave much time for credit farming.

Not terribly difficult to generate the weekly fee, but I don't always have an hour-ish to dump into the game so time spent on maintenance directly competes with time spent in the wing. Last week's big project was unlocking most of the guardian tech for three wing-mates - didn't leave much time for credit farming.
Even I couldn't put my hand over my heart can call less than 50 million "Credit Farming" - but whatever - it is your opinion and is correct, naturally.

Even I couldn't put my hand over my heart and call less than 50 million "Credit Farming" - but whatever - it is your opinion and is correct, naturally.
I tend to batch activities for efficiency. e.g. I'd never spend 40 minutes a week to meet the maintenance requirement. The time still competes though. More like 4 hours a month than an hour a week. I'm saying the game would be better for not placing a tax on facilitating group activities.

I'm saying the game would be better for not placing a tax on facilitating group activities.
Does it?
I have 2 accounts (currently) with FC's and a 3rd pretty soon... I wouldn't call them group activities as I, the individual, rent them - nobody else...
... but I do understand that there are still players who have willingly spent 5 billion+ credits on a FC, knowing the 'responsibility' for upkeep and acquiring fuel, and then will complain their they dislike a facet of their deliberate action - which in my opinion appears distinctly odd.

I tend to batch activities for efficiency. e.g. I'd never spend 40 minutes a week to meet the maintenance requirement. The time still competes though. More like 4 hours a month than an hour a week. I'm saying the game would be better for not placing a tax on facilitating group activities.
If you struggle to find the time to pay for the weekly upkeep, one wonders how you found the time to earn the money for the FC in the first place.

If you struggle to find the time to pay for the weekly upkeep, one wonders how you found the time to earn the money for the FC in the first place.
I just 'trade' using mine - a 3 hour session will raise 600-700 million profit - sufficient for around 6 months of worry-free rent.
I did spend a whole 6 days of play to raise the 6 billion for my 2nd FC though, but the main was on the way to Colonia on the 7th ;)

Does it?
I have 2 accounts (currently) with FC's and a 3rd pretty soon... I wouldn't call them group activities as I, the individual, rent them - nobody else...
... but I do understand that there are still players who have willingly spent 5 billion+ credits on a FC, knowing the 'responsibility' for upkeep and acquiring fuel, and then will complain their they dislike a facet of their deliberate action - which in my opinion appears distinctly odd.
When I initially bough the carrier-plus-facilities I had enough CR to run the thing for 28 years - likely longer than the game will exist. I later upgraded the facilities to better accommodate group activities so now I'm looking at 14 years ignoring any additional CR contributions. Realistically I'm never going to run out of Credits and the Carrier will always be funded, but for newer players without the credit resources this is just another barrier. So yes, the game would be better - or at least be a better multi-player game. Let not the perfect be the enemy of the good... But that doesn't mean it couldn't be better. Perhaps that's not quite so distinctly odd as it first appeared?

There is a significant and meaningful distinction between "struggling to find the time to pay..." and preferring to spend that time engaging in wing activities with friends and family.

There is a significant and meaningful distinction between "struggling to find the time to pay..." and preferring to spend that time engaging in wing activities with friends and family.
I can easily make 50m in one hour, probably more if I tried. That is at least (for my carrier) 4 weeks rent. One hour in one week, no more to do for another 3. Not a hillclimb is it?

Well you seemed concerned that the upkeep is too much money, money you don’t have time to make. I think my post was quite on point.
I think removing some of the more grind-like aspects of the game with an eye towards making it easier to engage in group activity would be a good thing for the game. E.g. my daughter likes killing Thargoids and we enjoy winging up to save humanity, but I don’t really want her to have to spend the time grinding out guardian tech and engineers. She’s got better things to do IRL.

I think removing some of the more grind-like aspects of the game with an eye towards making it easier to engage in group activity would be a good thing for the game. E.g. my daughter likes killing Thargoids and we enjoy winging up to save humanity, but I don’t really want her to have to spend the time grinding out guardian tech and engineers. She’s got better things to do IRL.
Well, I see where you’re coming from. Elite is a long game though. It takes a long time. I see people on here who have been playing for years, still learning stuff. For me, the longevity of it, is one of it’s assets. It’s the immediate need to have the best weapons/shields thing that forces a grind. I went through acquiring the items as I went, playing at a level that was appropriate for my in game equipment. That means, if my ship wasn’t good enough to hold it with the big boys, tough, do something else until it is. Not speed everything up so you go from Sidey to Gankatron 2000 in a few hours.

Top Bottom