Allow buying and selling Mats

What is next, you want to have the entire fleet some players have gathered over the years by spending thousands of hours at it! and you shoudl get it in hours? So you are willing to diminsih all those player time for youer "quickfix", talk about selfish. ME, ME, ME, ME first attitude.
Not arguing the case of the person you're replying to, but it seems moderately unhinged to be so precious about what ships others own given the limited ways in which players can interact. Meaningful competition either takes place via INF haulage in parallel instances, in which case ship type doesn't make much odds, or in direct pvp where g5 is a prerequisite and the more the merrier!

I can understand objections to insta-levelling from a design perspective insofar as it affects the pace and fun of an individual's arc, but not why you would ascribe any moral value to your digital spaceship stable. Who gives an asp scout? Just seems like barking up the wrong tree.

Not arguing the case of the person you're replying to, but it seems moderately unhinged to be so precious about what ships others own given the limited ways in which players can interact. Meaningful competition either takes place via INF haulage in parallel instances, in which case ship type doesn't make much odds, or in direct pvp where g5 is a prerequisite and the more the merrier!

I can understand objections to insta-levelling from a design perspective insofar as it affects the pace and fun of an individual's arc, but not why you would ascribe any moral value to your digital spaceship stable. Who gives an asp scout? Just seems like barking up the wrong tree.
It is the hypocrisy, when argumentations about ones of time is so much more valued over others, who obviously have spent the time before to achieve their progress.

I do not care about what ships other are flying, but when someone is using the arguemnt that "others" have these ships and thus must have a big catch up mechanic to have the same stuff, just because they came later to the party is undermining the game. Compare to other MMO style games., where you also need spend the time on specific content to get the desired gear...

It is the hypocrisy, when argumentations about ones of time is so much more valued over others, who obviously have spent the time before to achieve their progress.

I do not care about what ships other are flying, but when someone is using the arguemnt that "others" have these ships and thus must have a big catch up mechanic to have the same stuff, just because they came later to the party is undermining the game. Compare to other MMO style games., where you also need spend the time on specific content to get the desired gear...
My point was just that the argument you're making should be concerned with design philosophy and entertainment value and not with preserving an imagined digital heirarchy to shelter people's egos. Perhaps you weren't saying that, if so carry on.

YES, 3 at most
Why should you be allowed to do in 3 days what someone who joined a year earlier than you needed 3 weeks to do.

You do realise that if that was allowed there would be someone complaining next year that it was unfair that they needed to grind for 3 days to get a ship that matched yours and that it should only take them 3 hours.

Why should you be allowed to do in 3 days what someone who joined a year earlier than you needed 3 weeks to do.

You do realise that if that was allowed there would be someone complaining next year that it was unfair that they needed to grind for 3 days to get a ship that matched yours and that it should only take them 3 hours.
That's very petty, though. The argument should be whether that is a positive from a game design perspective only, irrelevant of how much it took another player to do it.

Mind you, I had a PS4 account which had just abut every bell and whistle unlocked (all engineers, rank locked ships, guardian stuff etc etc) and most ships engineered to a high degree. Now I'm doing it again on PC. I can deal with grindy stuff, but I would still like to see some changes.

I had to grind a lot and so must you is such a terrible way to look at it.

That's very petty, though. The argument should be whether that is a positive from a game design perspective only, irrelevant of how much it took another player to do it.

Mind you, I had a PS4 account which had just abut every bell and whistle unlocked (all engineers, rank locked ships, guardian stuff etc etc) and most ships engineered to a high degree. Now I'm doing it again on PC. I can deal with grindy stuff, but I would still like to see some changes.

I had to grind a lot and so must you is such a terrible way to look at it.
Arguing that because someone who has been playing longer has better stuff so it should be easier for me to catch up quickly is just as petty.

Arguing that because someone who has been playing longer has better stuff so it should be easier for me to catch up quickly is just as petty.
I'm not arguing that I should get a free pass because someone has better stuff than me Sir, that is not my angle.

I'm arguing that we would all be better off if we could get the stuff we want more quickly and easily and could use the saved time to do stuff we actually enjoy doing (whatever that may be). In particular I take issue with the way material gathering/engineering works and the fed/imp ranks.

more quickly and easily
I am pretty sure we're on the same page, but I think these are the wrong words to use.

It's already incredibly easy to get materials provided we define easy as 'literally easy to achieve mechanically' not 'easy like Sunday morning'; the issue for most people is it's not fun, or at the very least not broad enough in appeal. Semantics maybe, but by saying 'make it easier' you leave an opening for people itt to shoot you down, saying git gud or pay your dues etc. They should make it better not necessarily easier.

I mean, they could actually make it harder in my opinion - but in terms of skillchecks not time elapsed and RNG stomached. If you wanted the materials for your new loadout and had to do an increasingly dangerous set of missions to achieve it that would be considerably better than trawling HGEs, even if it took exactly the same amount of time. There should also really be some choice involved given the game sells us on different careers. Same goes for navy ranks, the biggest issue is that it's not mechanically interesting and provokes unintended, negative play patterns among many players - something they would ideally iron out in design.

I am pretty sure we're on the same page, but I think these are the wrong words to use.

It's already incredibly easy to get materials provided we define easy as 'literally easy to achieve mechanically' not 'easy like Sunday morning'; the issue for most people is it's not fun, or at the very least not broad enough in appeal. Semantics maybe, but by saying 'make it easier' you leave an opening for people itt to shoot you down, saying git gud or pay your dues etc. They should make it better not necessarily easier.

I mean, they could actually make it harder in my opinion - but in terms of skillchecks not time elapsed and RNG stomached. If you wanted the materials for your new loadout and had to do an increasingly dangerous set of missions to achieve it that would be considerably better than trawling HGEs, even if it took exactly the same amount of time. There should also really be some choice involved given the game sells us on different careers. Same goes for navy ranks, the biggest issue is that it's not mechanically interesting and provokes unintended, negative play patterns among many players - something they would ideally iron out in design.
Fair enough - indeed my choice of words could have been better, but that is essentially the point. I also wouldn't be completely against decreasing the time required to do those things.

I am often tempted to try out new ships but am often dissuaded by the thought of having to gather a bunch of materials and go visit engineers to make it usable. It mostly applies to combat ships, but still.

I am often tempted to try out new ships but am often dissuaded by the thought of having to gather a bunch of materials and go visit engineers to make it usable. It mostly applies to combat ships, but still.

Yeah I agree it's a shame that experimentation is discouraged, that was my first big complaint about engineering at 2.1. It was nice before when you could roll up somewhere, buy a ship and be good to go. I'd like a try-before-you-buy system or proving ground maybe. That ship has sailed though...

Yeah I agree it's a shame that experimentation is discouraged, that was my first big complaint about engineering at 2.1. It was nice before when you could roll up somewhere, buy a ship and be good to go. I'd like a try-before-you-buy system or proving ground maybe. That ship has sailed though...
Ye and even with the excellent 3rd party tools at our disposal you just can't figure somethings out. For instance, can I sustain these overcharged lasers or will I cook myself? At least I haven't figured out a way to test this stuff without actually going out and slowly engineering them.

I see and can agree with most every ones points, Except the "I did it, so you gotta do it too" mind set.
Guess I been thinking more like a RPG equipment shop sorta thing, where you bring your stuff,
and get it upgraded or trade in for a Better one, and just pay the cost.

Maybe if there were locations where you could just pickup modified salvage ship components from wrecks,
or just pay a premium to engineers for the mats you don't have. Anything to cut the Mats grind loops.
It just looks to me like Engineers were Designed with Grind in mind.

It never takes hours to fill up at Jameson's. Also is that a rhetorical question? 😂
Unless you already have a large bulk of data, it does take several hours to fill up at jameson, same for dav's hope. It took me about 11 trips between the material trader and the crash site to just get a little over halfway full on most encoded lines, and that took about 7 hours.

Even if you are halfway full already filling up to max will still take several hours.

Albeiet both methods are extremely faster than normal hunting

Maybe mentioned but you can sell some materials.

If you synthesize limpets using mats, you can sell them to the station. It's not much but it creates money from materials.

Maybe I am one of the very few but I've never had an issue getting materials. In fact it's part of the game I enjoy, to collect the goodies from the kills and fill my bins.

Last edited:
OK, How about this:
Somewhere there is a Material Merchant, he sells 1 kind of Raw, 1 kind of Mechanical, and 1 kind of Data Mat.
The only way to find him, is to Do something for a Engineer, They all know, but only tell for a bribe or service.
When you find and go to the Material Merchant, you can buy any of the 3 types of Mats he is selling.
Maybe he could buy as well, which Mats he is dealing with might change, along with the cost.

Sorry I hit post twice, can't find delete button

OK, How about this:
Somewhere there is a Material Merchant, he sells 1 kind of Raw, 1 kind of Mechanical, and 1 kind of Data Mat.
The only way to find him, is to Do something for a Engineer, They all know, but only tell for a bribe or service.
When you find and go to the Material Merchant, you can buy any of the 3 types of Mats he is selling.
Maybe he could buy as well, which Mats he is dealing with might change, along with the cost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom