Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I think they already have too many tools, especially in upper management. Are the making better ones?
What, five-year-old excuse "they need to make dev tools first" resurfaced again?
Just think for a minute, even the excuse to not deliver the game as promised is already five years old...

I think the point that was made was that CIG seems to be continuously screwing up big time precisely at making the tools they have, needing to redo over and over, and wasting significant backer funds in the process. At some point I would imagine that recurrent incompetence and wastefulness should signal to the market that the company may not actually be a trustworthy place to prepurchase products after all.
Genuine question : how much time can it get to a newly built company to discover that Scaleform will not match the project, decide to replace it with a better tool internally done and deliver it ?

Genuine question : how much time can it get to a newly built company to discover that Scaleform will not match the project,
Genuinely, this should have been done in research before setting the company up or asking for money. Should have been Q1, 'Is it viable?', 'Q2 Is there a market?'

decide to replace it with a better tool internally done and deliver it ?
How long is a piece of string?

Depends what the priorities are. Making money to keep the company going another 6 months or making a game to release and find another funding model.

Genuinely, this should have been done in research before setting the company up or asking for money. Should have been Q1, 'Is it viable?', 'Q2 Is there a market?'
At the start of the project, Scaleform was a perfectly accepted and proven tech for a lot of really big projects. GTA5 use it everywhere for instance. Knowing how an engine will react in particular stress situations simply cannot be researched effectively before being able to get those stress situation for real (in later stage of development). And when you discover the bottlenecks of an API, you just have 2 solutions : change your plans to stay below the limitation of this API or change/modify the API. For a lot of companies, the first solution is the only viable solution (because no money or time to change API). CIG take the second solution and, as Scaleform is discontinued since mid 2018, it was a good choice.

The time needed to google "lumberyard scaleform"? https://forums.awsgametech.com/t/i-want-to-use-autodesk-scaleform-how-to-use-it-on-lumberyard/2787
Because I could bet it's less a suitability issue than a contractual one actually.
Sorry but I don't understand your point. Scaleform is the native UI tech for CE3. The switch to LY for CIG was just a relabel of CE3 by the same version owned by Amazon. The link you point is for the newer API of LY which was not available to CIG at the time they choose CE and started to code starmap/HUD/etc. I don't know when this new UI was made available in LY but they are big chance that when CIG was able and acquired the right to use it, it was too late for CIG (already started to code Building Blocks). And there is no evidence that this new UI is better than Scaleform for CIG or don't have also limitations that disqualified it for SC.

Last edited:
Why have CIG bought a license for Cryengine if they are using Lumberyard?
You talk about the recent purchase or the initial one ? For the most recent, the reasons can be numerous.

One of them can be that if CIG want to license their Star engine to other companies, with the version of CE/LY they are using they had to own all rights on it = mandatory step should be to buy the full license to Crytek. I know the initial contract between CIG/Crytek was denying CIG the right for CIG to license the Star engine to others companies.

Or to be sure to never again have to deal with Crytek.

Last edited:
You talk about the recent purchase or the initial one ? For the recent one, there can be numerous reason.

One of them can be that if CIG want to license their Star engine to other companies, with the version of CE/LY they are using they had to own all rights on it = mandatory step should be to buy the full license to Crytek. I know the initial contract between CIG/Crytek was denying CIG the right for CIG to license the Star engine to others companies.

Or to be sure to never again have to deal with Crytek.
Are you serious! Who the hell would want to license Star engine?

Edit: I love the way you portray Crytek as the bad guy :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Genuine question : how much time can it get to a newly built company to discover that Scaleform will not match the project, decide to replace it with a better tool internally done and deliver it ?

Genuine questions:

• Do you really think a company which was first founded in 2012 is a 'newly built company'? Or worth describing as such in 2016? Or 2018? Or 2021?
  • Do you think that it's particularly wasteful for CIG to roll out UI to all areas of the game, in final art form, before realising that they need to rework it all?
  • Do you find it strange that so much discussion is lavished on such a relatively minor internal tool, by both CIG and fans, in the year 2021?

Last edited:
One of them can be that if CIG want to license their Star engine to other companies

Ahh, such dreams ;)

I'm pretty sure that having the rights to use a game engine doesn't allow you to market derivatives of that same engine.

EDIT: Here's what we know about the recent acquisition: "During 2020, the Company further strengthed its position as a AAA game developer by acquiring a perpetual licence for CryEngine from game development platform provider Crytek GmbH"

Last edited:
Top Bottom