Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Didn't know the amount was so high. Then effectively, CIG licensing the Star Engine is not even an idea to consider.

To be fair, the price agreed with Amazon was probably benchmarked on the size of the business Amazon projected and agreed with CryTek at the time. Said business projection was probably going to be larger than whatever business CIG could make of it I suspect. But still even at a discount we are talking several tens of millions.

Last edited:
The price it cost Amazon is for a perpetual, unrestricted license, so more expensive than the regular make a single game (or two if you're CIG) type.

Genuine question : how much time can it get to a newly built company to discover that Scaleform will not match the project, decide to replace it with a better tool internally done and deliver it ?
About 2 weeks for a competent developer with decent documentation and access to the source code. If you're evaluating the engine/SDK overall, then after the initial 2 weeks you would add Scaleform to one of a number of items that would need to be redeveloped (which in 2012 would have been a long list). If that list wasn't too long (which it was and apparent to anyone who wasn't an idiot) and you were still evaluating, then you might spend say 1 month extra to see if workarounds or additional coding showed promise.
What you shouldn't do is then go to the public (or anyone else for that matter) for funding with this knowledge, as that would be dishonest and many times so given that Scaleform was the least of CryEngine's deficiencies in 2012.

Last edited:
it would be much appreciated
Right, back into the mix and no Glenfiddich involved (Samaroli Orkney this time).

Golgot, Ecity MTBFritz etc. I ain't getting involved in the right or wrong regarding monetary shenanigans this round! govny I see that you may have fixed the throttle issue with Moles help, I use the switch throttle bind. Did you get on top of the 'swing' problem?
Pug

Ok ... So I REALLY hate the system map/navigation mode. Here is a vid of me attempting to plot a course to Lorvile , and failing. I couldnt see any markers showing the route once set (well I think I set a route - maybe not) edit: I think I may have worked it out, click set route is done last, so the hops appear in the left side.

What am I missing? Also several times when I press F2 to bring up the map it simply doesnt work. No amount of mouse wheel scrolling or dragging gets anything to display on the map, well not for me anyway, is this to be expected ?
It is a mess, double click right mouse a couple of times and do a we bit of scroll wheel while going out and back into the map and eventually It Will work.

When you go to the messymap just hit clear route as a matter of course it'll zoom out to the system eventually, you'll know when you've plotted a route as it will show the plotted route in the top left hand corner, its a bit of a faff sometimes.

Hurston.PNG

Pug

haven't logged in lately. But I remember I saw the mouse cursor while using Hotas that move around and I didn't see it in combat videdos I watched.
I was getting that too and the only change I made was changing to fixed weapons and that annoying 'mouse cursor' move seemed to go away. It's a hard one to describe but it is bloody irritating.

Maybe my settings are wrong too. I still couldn't hit a cows rear with a shovel :)

ED on the other hand, brilliant dynamic. Gimballed , fixed, or turreted it doesn't matter, Mole your up bud...explain.
Pug

About 2 weeks for a competent developer with decent documentation and access to the source code. If you're evaluating the engine/SDK overall, then after the initial 2 weeks you would add Scaleform to one of a number of items that would need to be redeveloped (which in 2012 would have been a long list). If that list wasn't too long (which it was and apparent to anyone who wasn't an idiot) and you were still evaluating, then you might spend say 1 month extra to see if workarounds or additional coding showed promise.
I'd point out that many other aspects of the core game engine (the client/server main loop, the physics engine, even networking) should have been done in the first few months back in 2012, since that was the whole point of licensing an existing engine. Of course, they could not, as CE is a notorious tangle of vaguely patched together pieces of code that's probably written in German (because why not, SAP are doing that for example) - but again, every small feature they are adding is taking an incredible amount of time, compared to just any other developer around the globe. And then they discard said feature to remake it entirely after understanding their implementation was just not working - and they call that "iterations" (while us in the IT world would call that "complete incompetence"). Will they fumble into a working product ? Do we believe in the many monkeys typing on many typewriters theory that there's a non-zero probability they produce the works of Shakespeare ?

Will they fumble into a working product ? Do we believe in the many monkeys typing on many typewriters theory that there's a non-zero probability they produce the works of Shakespeare ?

Every year that they keep pursuing 'dynamic server meshing', and keep the promised gameplay staples in a holding pattern, it feels like the odds of that get more and more remote. It already feels like the two main paths for the PU are 'janky Second Life sandbox', or a much maligned, but competent, gut and rework.

Currently they’re just running into a wall repeatedly. You don’t accrue much of note that way except rubble.

Who knows on SQ42 though. It’ll probably be a mawkish, old-school single player campaign. They’re not super in fashion. But if they can get it to work 70% of the time I’m sure there’s a market for it. Just probably not a blockbuster one.

Because I mean surely, with all the resources they’ve got, and even if they have borked up the historical mocap, and it’s just a retrograde 'movie experience', surely they can put that together?

Although you look at all the SQ42 badges on the roadmap features...

j6XUQ3K.jpg

And you consider the many years of missed deadlines, and you combine them together to spell 'developmental hell'... And yeah. It does seem possible they’ll balls that up somehow too ;)

I'd point out that many other aspects of the core game engine (the client/server main loop, the physics engine, even networking) should have been done in the first few months back in 2012, since that was the whole point of licensing an existing engine. Of course, they could not, as CE is a notorious tangle of vaguely patched together pieces of code that's probably written in German (because why not, SAP are doing that for example) - but again, every small feature they are adding is taking an incredible amount of time, compared to just any other developer around the globe. And then they discard said feature to remake it entirely after understanding their implementation was just not working - and they call that "iterations" (while us in the IT world would call that "complete incompetence"). Will they fumble into a working product ? Do we believe in the many monkeys typing on many typewriters theory that there's a non-zero probability they produce the works of Shakespeare ?
That's spot on and with hindsight, it does point to a very murky business from its inception.
Even with the "cut down" feature set in the kickstarter, any serious analysis of CryEngine produces such a long list of functionality that it just doesn't have out of the box (its many times worse for the current vision), its just not credible to suggest that somehow CiG have stumbled upon the requirements for missing components in the engine whilst they have been developing the game.
For example, CiG claiming they found out they needed to code a 64bit world coord system several years into developing a large scale space game, is like them having 50 pizzas delivered to their offices and trying to claim they didn't know they needed to pay for them with money.

For example Unigine 2 have the same features of SE and much more, look and be worried:

ah, it seems that even the new unreal engine 5 will have 64 bit precision.

I've been saying for years that SC should have used an engine like Unigine or any other engine with 64 bit precision out of the box. Even now they should ditch their current franken-engine and change over. Sure it might put them back a year or more (but possibly less)? How many more years will they endure their current entropy-bit precision engine and the countless issues it causes. And management should know not to rely on generalist software engineers to convert it properly to 64-bit precision. Unless they have a team of crack experts in game engine dev, they need to make the hard decision to change over, even this late, while they still have reasonable backer support. At least most of their media assets will survive.

There are compelling reasons games like Dual Universe use Unigine. Even its 2011 release had most of what SC needs, and it supports C++ which SC uses:

"2011-07-21
From now on Unigine can handle as large worlds as required. In addition to effective data streaming the engine supports double precision of coordinates instead of float data type.

It's possible to create virtually unlimited worlds with the highest level of details (maximum coordinates are effectively 536,870,912 times larger). If a single precision world compares to an Earth range, double precision allows to create the whole Solar System and beyond."

Exactly my thinking too. All of the foundation core engine/software should have been done first. They appear to have been literally fumbling their way through all of the core development for the last 9 years.

It's one of the side effects of crowdfunding, where 99% of the backers don't have an IT background and therefore don't know whether management is successfully producing a game. The second more worrying side effect is that the owners bear absolutely zero financial risk, so faffing around without getting things done actually enhances their personal financial positions.

Every year that they keep pursuing 'dynamic server meshing', and keep the promised gameplay staples in a holding pattern, it feels like the odds of that get more and more remote. It already feels like the two main paths for the PU are 'janky Second Life sandbox', or a much maligned, but competent, gut and rework.

On SC server meshing, I'll just point out the Dual Universe home page (using Unigine):

"SINGLE-SERVER TECHNOLOGY
SPACE MMO
No loading, no server instantiation, no tricks. All players share the same persistent universe, at the same time. Dual Universe is the first Metaverse: a common, shared virtual world, controlled by the players."

I've been saying for years that SC should have used an engine like Unigine or any other engine with 64 bit precision out of the box. Even now they should ditch their current franken-engine and change over. Sure it might put them back a year or more (but possibly less)? How many more years will they endure their current entropy-bit precision engine and the countless issues it causes. And management should know not to rely on generalist software engineers to convert it properly to 64-bit precision. Unless they have a team of crack experts in game engine dev, they need to make the hard decision to change over, even this late, while they still have reasonable backer support. At least most of their media assets will survive.

There are compelling reasons games like Dual Universe use Unigine. Even its 2011 release had most of what SC needs, and it supports C++ which SC uses:

"2011-07-21
From now on Unigine can handle as large worlds as required. In addition to effective data streaming the engine supports double precision of coordinates instead of float data type.

It's possible to create virtually unlimited worlds with the highest level of details (maximum coordinates are effectively 536,870,912 times larger). If a single precision world compares to an Earth range, double precision allows to create the whole Solar System and beyond."
If they would ve done it back when it first became apparent that Cryengine is illsuited for the task it would be ancient history by now, backers would have accepted and even supported the decision and SC might be on track with a real foundation. Not sure why Chris didnt make that cut, maybe he couldnt due to legal obligations or maybe he simply didnt see it or thought he doesnt need to? I mean in hindsight its very likely that poor old Chris never understood the real scope and challenge of what he proposed.

Can they still do it?

I guess they could even tho it would reset progress back to zero, add at least another 15 years to development and triple the total cost. Tho Chris aint the youngest buck in the stable anymore and I doubt hes cut out for the stress. Needless to say such a move would almost guarantee his place among the biggest jokes in video game history ever ^^

Top Bottom