Buying storage FC in Feb 3307

I'm very much against the penalty ie. upkeep.
But...
I feel I'll miss a big part of the game if I'll never own a FC, just jump to Odyssey and possibly never look back.

So I need your push.

With 10bn Cr, my goal is to have it as cheap as possible, preferably just as bare storage in the bubble. One week I'd park it near some asteroid field, mine a few days when I have free RL time, but be ready to jump in any of flyable ships and do a CG.
Than go back to FC. Maybe move it somewhere else and load some cheap Liquor, Agro Treatments, Rares... than try to sell it. Just adding variety to whole thing. Main goal would be to earn enough to be on positive zero, no need for massive FC profits as I already have all ships I'll ever need. My main module shop would remain ShinDez.

Now...

I understand that bare "storage FC" costs 22 million/month as calculated on https://cmdrs-toolbox.com/fleet-carrier-calculator + 100.000 per jump + fuel.
What I'd like is to hear from FC owners who use it in similar way, does such way make any sense, were you sorry after some time you bought it, how you used it... just a few casual "storage stories" and a bit of advice to give me a push in this direction. I really can't afford (RL time) to equip it and provide services like some Pro FC owners here.

Thank you!

It makes sense. I've been mining and scavenging, and rather than figure out where to sell the stuff I just throw it in the carrier and put it up for sale. It disappears and credits arrive.

Having said that, it's really the effect on gameplay that's important (for me, avoiding hawking around). It will take a long time for profits to add up to 5 billion.

Deleted member 182079

D
Honestly, I'm not sure if I'd still be playing as often without FCs - the game became quite stale last year and FCs and the various options that they open up to you in terms of different gameplay approaches are more than worth the credits.

I wouldn't want to be without it now, and I was extremely skeptical in the run up to the FC beta about them.

Owning one also makes you hate the fact the system map is a mess quite a bit less, because now you're part of the problem;)

I have mine parked above the mining spot in omicron Capricorni b.

I'm literally using it exactly as u explained in your post.

If ur not going to be inviting friends to ur fc, u can save upkeep by not installing things like shipyard or outfitting. They will still be accessible to u as th owner.

The upkeep cost for mine is extremely easy for me to cover

I'm using my FC with Refuel, Repair, Armory, Secure Warehouse and Universal Cartographics, the latter two most times disabled.
Costs me 13.5 million a week and I barely notice this.
For the profile you described you propably don't even need that much.

Thanks all for your replies so far. I appreciate it.

Held on to the principle, refusing to pay for the upkeep... and waiting for some hints that maybe there'll be some real estates to buy in Odyssey :)
I wouldn't worry about that, you can always sale it and get most of the money back.

I go by the month rather than by the week. 100 million credits (give or take) is a month's upkeep. If you can find a way to make 30 or 40,000 credits per ton (pure trade) you're laughing. 100 million is 2,500 tons at 40k/ton profit (6.25 trips in my 400T T10). Wing fetch carry missions can be good and if the odd massacre mission appeals, though I could never condone such violent actions, the money's not bad ...

An FC saves time and can increase playtime. If you do get limited play time in a day you can log in and plot a route to the location for the days activity. Send the FC and yourself there and log off. Return later and you get your full activity playtime without losing half of it jumping. Same applies at the end of the session. Send it to the market and start there next session.

You can also use it to do two things at once. Want to engineer that 10ly corvette? Send it ahead to the engineer base and while its travelling use another higher range jump ship to earn coin or gather materials. When it arrives catch up with it.

This way you can turn an hour into an hour and forty minutes. In other words if you are time poor IRL but ingame rich you can translate fake money into real time. And that's valuable.

Last edited:
Btw do you miners transfer and stock tons of limpets to carrier as cargo, or use a service for unlimited supply (Armoury?)

Top Bottom