Taken from the #Standing-Orders Channel on the Elite Week Discord https://discord.gg/Wtgnsbq
TO JOIN THE OFFICIAL SQUADRON OF THE DARK WHEEL PROJECT AND THE ELITE WEEK PODCAST JOIN "THE BLACK SKY LEGION (BSL1) IN GAME ON PC!

Orders 24 FEB - 28 FEB 3307

Project Status:

The Dark Wheel is now at WAR with Barnard’s Star Advanced Corp in ROSS 154! Winning this war will get us Birkeland City AND Control of ROSS 154!

BE ADVISED: All the stations in ROSS 154 are owned by BSAC, if you become HOSTILE with them, the stations will shoot at you. The following Fleet Carriers are available for your repair, rearm, resupply, and overnight docking needs.
  • (TDW)Elite Week-1(TDW) (KNQ-L2B)
  • Arrys Ammo Shop (TDW) (X3V-07W)
  • (TDW) Fuhgeddaboudit (X9B-8XX)
  • (TDW) Laniakea Horizon (KNK-4TY)
  • (TDW) Vagabond Heart (V0H-N9Y)
  • Luna Mason (X2T-84B)
  • Pdes Cloudbase (JHJ-T5N)
  • Ptolemy (K1B-8XT)

LET’S STEAMROLL THIS WAR AND SHOW EVERYONE THAT WE WANT TO KNOW SECRETS SOL MAY HOLD FOR THE DARK WHEEL!!!

CONFLICT ZONE LOCATIONS:
  • DUST BALL: CZ LOW
  • ASTER: 2x CZ MEDIUM
  • MERLIN: CZ HIGH
  • ROSS 154 5: CZ LOW
  • ROSS 154 7: 2x CZ LOW

ROSS 154 Tasking:
Primary Tasks: (Directly supporting the war effort)

SUPPORT The Dark Wheel in CONFLICT ZONES
Any/All “War” missions offered by The Dark Wheel in Ross 154
Any/All “War” passenger missions offered by The Dark Wheel in Ross 154

- A mission is a “war” mission when after clicking on it in the list on the board, under the portrait of the mission giver, the flavor text below their portrait says something about the war, these have multiple ways of being written but they are typically straightforward.

Secondary Tasks: (Regular work that will help to increase the amount of INF TDW receives after the war, will also help offset INF loss by the Infrastructure Failure)
Any/All missions offered by The Dark Wheel in Ross 154 (Focus on “Infrastructure Failure” missions, if available)
Any/All passenger missions offered by The Dark Wheel in Ross 154 (Focus on “Infrastructure Failure” missions, if available)

- A mission is a “infrastructure failure” mission when after clicking on it in the list on the board, under the portrait of the mission giver, the flavor text below their portrait says something about the infrastructure failure, these have multiple ways of being written but they are typically straightforward.

Bounty hunting at the following locations: (Do NOT bounty hunt in Ross 154, this yields vouchers for Barnard’s Star Advanced Corp.)
  • ANYANWU Compromised Nav Beacon
  • Resource Extraction Sites in LTT 5455
  • Pirate Activity Points of Interest in LFT 926
Turn in TDW bounty vouchers earned in these locations at Ross 154, Birkeland City.

Please Remember:
  • Do NOT do missions for any faction other than TDW in Ross 154
  • Do NOT trade in Ross 154, this will only help Barnard’s Star Advanced Corp
  • Do NOT turn in exploration (cartography) data in Ross 154, this will only help Barnard’s Star Advanced Corp
  • Do NOT hand in bounties for any faction other than TDW in ROSS 154 (Use the interstellar factors in LHS 397 - Zillig Depot to turn in all other bounties)

If your preferred game loop is space trucking and exploration, your efforts are best utilized as:

Commodity Trading:
Profitable trades into WOLF 433 - Romanenko Port (Medium/Small Pads)
Profitable trades into LFT 926 - Meredith City (All Pads)

Exploration (Cartography) Data:
Hand in at WOLF 433 - Romanenko Port (Medium/Small Pads)
Hand in at LFT 926 - Meredith City (All Pads)

General Remarks:
  • All TDW Controlled Systems: Until a planned expansion is announced, TDW should have no greater than 65% INF to avoid any unintended expansions.
  • LAVE - TDW is to be #2, ~20% below Lave Radio Network
  • WOLF 433 - TDW is to be #2, at least 20% below LHS 2541 Alliance Combine
  • ARQUE - TDW is a guest of Alliance Rapid-reaction Corps, no work required here
  • As a general rule, when factions in a TDW system are in conflict, we want the native faction (Blue N by their name in Inara when looking at the system) to LOSE. Where two non-native factions conflict, neither winner is “desired”, depending on INF level after the conflict, we would likely boost the LOSER to avoid retreat (happens at 2.5% or lower). Two native factions in conflict can be ignored.

Please continue to use EDMC or similar tools to keep local data up to date.

Keep Turning The Wheel, Hamsters!

Last edited:
War is up and we're behind (35.8% vs 36.9%), let's go!
20210225102400_1.jpg

War is up and we're behind (35.8% vs 36.9%), let's go!View attachment 210150
The influence loss is from the Infrastructure Failure. There's nothing you can do about it with influence locked in the war, but it won't affect the war result, and the influence boost from a win will still put you ahead of BSAC at the end even with the drain from IF (which will just keep eating 1%ish a day for at least the next few days)

Taken from the #Standing-Orders Channel on the Elite Week Discord https://discord.gg/Wtgnsbq
TO JOIN THE OFFICIAL SQUADRON OF THE DARK WHEEL PROJECT AND THE ELITE WEEK PODCAST JOIN "THE BLACK SKY LEGION (BSL1) IN GAME ON PC!

Orders 28 FEB - 04 MAR 3307

Project Status:

The Dark Wheel has won the WAR with Barnard’s Star Advanced Corp in ROSS 154!
TDW is now the Controlling Faction and owns Birkeland City Starport!

EXCELLENT JOB CMDRs!!!

Now we work to reach >75% influence in Ross 154 to begin the expansion process to conduct the SOL jump test. Please turn in your combat bonds from the war today if you have been holding onto them.

Space Truckers and Explorers, we can now utilize your efforts in Ross 154!

Please remember:
  • Do NOT work for other factions in TDW systems, unless requested below.
  • Do NOT hand in bounties for any faction other than TDW in our systems.
  • Do NOT hand in trade goods or cartography data to stations that we do not own.
  • Do NOT hand in bounties for any faction other than TDW in ROSS 154 (Use the interstellar factors in LHS 397 - Zillig Depot to turn in all other bounties)

General Missions & Passengers:
ROSS 154 - Any/All missions offered by The Dark Wheel in Ross 154 (Focus on “Infrastructure Failure” missions, if available)
A mission is a “infrastructure failure” mission when after clicking on it in the list on the board, under the portrait of the mission giver, the flavor text below their portrait says something about the infrastructure failure, these have multiple ways of being written but they are typically straightforward.​
ROSS 154 - Any/All passenger missions offered by The Dark Wheel in Ross 154

Bounty Hunting:
Bounty hunting at the following locations:
  • Any of our controlled systems, now including Ross 154!
  • ANYANWU Compromised Nav Beacon
  • Resource Extraction Sites in LTT 5455
  • Pirate Activity Points of Interest in LFT 926
Turn in TDW bounty vouchers earned in these locations at Birkeland City in ROSS 154

Commodity Trading:
Profitable trades into Ross 154 - Birkeland City (All Pads)

Exploration (Cartography) Data:
Hand in cartographic data at Ross 154 - Birkeland City (All Pads)

General Remarks:
  • All TDW Controlled Systems: Until a planned expansion is announced, TDW should have no greater than 65% INF to avoid any unintended expansions.
  • LAVE - TDW is to be #2, ~20% below Lave Radio Network
  • WOLF 433 - TDW is to be #2, at least 20% below LHS 2541 Alliance Combine
  • ARQUE - TDW is a guest of Alliance Rapid-reaction Corps, no work required here
  • As a general rule, when factions in a TDW system are in conflict, we want the native faction (Blue N by their name in Inara when looking at the system) to LOSE. Where two non-native factions conflict, neither winner is “desired”, depending on INF level after the conflict, we would likely boost the LOSER to avoid retreat (happens at 2.5% or lower). Two native factions in conflict can be ignored.

Please continue to use EDMC or similar tools to keep local data up to date.

Keep Turning The Wheel, Hamsters!

Okay, I'm not sure if I'm just bad at looking for information, but has anyone actually been to Wolfe's Reach in Shinrarta Dezhra? I found one video of it on a tiny YouTube channel, but as far as I'm aware no one's actually talked about it. It seems incredibly odd to me that no one's talked about this place when it's literally a Dark Wheel base on a planet with no landing pods, no obvious security and when I visited there were two Dark Wheel ships landed close to the base on the surface of the planet.

I'm fully aware that the outpost might realistically be nothing, but it's just odd to me that literally nowhere can I find people discussing it. It feels like people don't think about it because it's in such a heavily trafficked locale. When I was there, it was also playing a somewhat ominous musical queue that I don't believe I've heard elsewhere in the game.

The little nodules around it are mining devices, but it just seems odd to put an outpost name on something so minor if it's going to just be a bunch of mining nodes. If it turns out to be nothing, oh well, but if anyone else has anymore information on it, I'd be curious to hear.

20210228125831_1.jpg

The little nodules around it are mining devices, but it just seems odd to put an outpost name on something so minor if it's going to just be a bunch of mining nodes. If it turns out to be nothing, oh well, but if anyone else has anymore information on it, I'd be curious to hear.
I haven't looked at any of the others recently, but I think it's just a fairly standard "tiny settlement" of the sort which were added everywhere in the Horizons release - if you look in other systems for planetary bases with the settlement icon and no "+" size points in the navigation, you'll probably find some others which look similar.

(One of the cool things about looking for mysterious stuff is that you also along the way will come across a lot of things like this which are perfectly normal but sufficiently out of the way that most people never go to look at them, and can also be quite neat)

Okay, I'm not sure if I'm just bad at looking for information, but has anyone actually been to Wolfe's Reach in Shinrarta Dezhra? [...]
For sure there have been people. When I was there I found nothing special, I even tried to shoot all the mining machines in different orders (but certainly not all orders) to see if they trigger something.
It seems a typical phenomenon in Elite that such things are documented nowhere, and little is done organized. For example I recently was the first to map two bodies in Lave, one of the best candidates to start searching for TDW / Raxxla.. what the hell. My guess would be that The Dark Wheel's station simply provides no signal so you have to detect it without the navigation panel and thousands of people missed it because they are not very attentive.

Attachments

• lave.png
    lave.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 85
For sure there have been people. When I was there I found nothing special, I even tried to shoot all the mining machines in different orders (but certainly not all orders) to see if they trigger something.
It seems a typical phenomenon in Elite that such things are documented nowhere, and little is done organized. For example I recently was the first to map two bodies in Lave, one of the best candidates to start searching for TDW / Raxxla.. what the hell. My guess would be that The Dark Wheel's station simply provides no signal so you have to detect it without the navigation panel and thousands of people missed it because they are not very attentive.
10k per body "first to map" accolades are actually just a bonus for DSS'ing all bodies in a system.

I feel like if we can detect the signal of rocks on the surface, a rather large man made structure in orbit would be detectable, powered down or not.

I understand game mechanics may disagree with this, but it's utter nonsense

I feel like if we can detect the signal of rocks on the surface, a rather large man made structure in orbit would be detectable, powered down or not.

I understand game mechanics may disagree with this, but it's utter nonsense
Not at all, when something hides its signature (just like a ship cooled down to 0% heat), it cannot be detected except when very close. Rock detection on surface is also very close range (below 100 meters), and besides uses entirely different sensors (that have ranges below 10km). A station is usually billions of meters away from where you are flying and different sensors (signal detectors) are required. When a station covers up all its signals (outgoing emissions), it cannot be detected by signal detectors. Moreover, I guess it is called The Dark Wheel for a reason.

My point was that nobody DSSed two certain planets in Lave before I did.
No, this is a bug. You get that message - which incorrectly says "first to map" rather than "complete map bonus" - whenever you map a system in full, regardless of whether anyone else has first. As it's a minor text bug, there's no chance of it being reported and confirmed enough times to get fixed, unfortunately - but https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/17312 if people want to give it a go - just needs nine more people to say that they've seen it and select "can reproduce" and Frontier might notice it.

If you get an alt and map Lave's two planets with that alt, it'll get the same message. (Alternatively, you can bring up Lave's two planets in your system map and note that you're not "first mapped" on either of them, then check the system map on another small bubble system, note that you're also not first mapped on that, then full-map it to get a similar message)

It seems a typical phenomenon in Elite that such things are documented nowhere, and little is done organized.
There are various groups interested in documenting things which aren't directly and obviously profitable, often in a very organised fashion. It just happens that Wolfe Reach basically falls outside the areas of interest of most of them, so it's got a brief EDDB entry and that's about it. If you don't know where to look and what terms to use, however, actually finding this documentation can be tricky.
  • Canonn documents a lot of this stuff, both from their own research and by cataloguing the finds of others, but something like Wolfe Reach is too ordinary to catalogue - there are thousands of "tiny settlement"-class buildings across the galaxy.
  • EDDB and Inara and similar document the routine stuff primarily, but settlements are tough to discover from the journal alone so it relies on manual entry of something relatively uninteresting (settlements that small I don't believe can be mission targets for a lot of surface mission types, so there's even less likelihood of a visit and cataloguing) - Wolfe Reach is listed there though, because Shinrarta is a well-visited system so someone's bothered to do it, and you can see the generic map image for its settlement size and economy: https://eddb.io/attraction/27001
  • EDSM and similar are generally interested in uninhabited systems.
  • The Nebula Census Projects would definitely catalogue stuff like that in an inhabited system ... but it's not in one of our covered nebulae.
  • DJA's tip-off catalogue does have a number of settlements listed, but ones that small won't be a tip-off destination
  • The Wiki very briefly mentions the concept - https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Settlement#Generic_Settlements - but isn't going to make a list of them all
  • There's various documentations of BGS stuff, which larger settlements play a role in ... but a tiny one like Wolfe Reach doesn't.

No, this is a bug. You get that message - which incorrectly says "first to map" rather than "complete map bonus" - whenever you map a system in full, regardless of whether anyone else has first.
Your assertion is trivially false since I have mapped many populated systems entirely but only got that message once (actually, I otherwise only got 'first to discover' notifications when flying several thousand light years out of the bubble). Easiest counterexample are those systems which have no planets to DSS. So there must be more preconditions on that bug (if it actually was one) than simply "whenever you map a system in full".

Canonn documents a lot of this stuff [...]
I know, that is why I joined them. I even know how to use search engines and that is how I
  • found all that you listed a while ago, and
  • concluded my assertion about little documentation and organization.
Several sources (such as the wiki) are even full of faults, e.g. such that are due to not considering in-game mechanical reasons for differences that are not hard-coded unlike described.
Nonetheless, you provided a nice list of ED sources in Engish language that have not been vanished (yet). A more reliable place to document and talk about such stuff would actually be forums like this one, that the game depends on. But when I search for stuff (and I have questions basically every time I play), typically a ridiculously low amount of results are from the official forum, and most questions have not been answered and documented at all.

Last edited:
But when I search for stuff (and I have questions basically every time I play), typically a ridiculously low amount of results are from the official forum, and most questions have not been answered and documented at all.

I can agree with that bit. Nightmare for new players. Often the real time evets threads are full of guesses and its hard afterwards to put it all together. Then someone often with incorrect or incomplete information will 'report' it rather than record it somewhere else where it benefits them.

Too much happens on Discord and isnt recorded.

Canonn is the best resource but as you say, its not on here, but thats probably coz the forums couldnt handle it at the time in the first place.

We can only start now, start recording properly, as in check the facts, Lore & Roleplay would be ideal for it. I tried to track the Halloween mystery on one thread. Great Raxxla Potato Hunt thread is along the lines of recording things.

P.S. Youll get '1st Mapped' message all the time, or I do anyway, its bugged, if your name aint on the planet you aint the 1st to map it. :)I know for a fact I mapped Lave and I wasnt the first, so unless theres 2 more planets added since then.....

Your assertion is trivially false since I have mapped many populated systems entirely but only got that message once (actually, I otherwise only got 'first to discover' notifications when flying several thousand light years out of the bubble). Easiest counterexample are those systems which have no planets to DSS. So there must be more preconditions on that bug (if it actually was one) than simply "whenever you map a system in full".
I certainly have got that message multiple times when mapping systems where everything in the system had already been mapped by someone else. Now you mention it I think there was one time when I didn't... so yes, there probably is some extra condition, though it's hard to think what it might be.

The idea that - two and a bit years after the introduction of the DSS, in one of the most visited systems in the game, with an active player group, and only two planets one of which is an ELW - no-one would have previously mapped both planets on the same account should fail any "is this remotely plausible" test, though.

But when I search for stuff (and I have questions basically every time I play), typically a ridiculously low amount of results are from the official forum, and most questions have not been answered and documented at all.
That's partly because a forum is a terrible format for any sort of systematic documentation, and partly because it's really easy to think of millions of closely-related questions where answering them specifically misses the point.

e.g. the quantity of Fish stocked at Giles Station on 20 April 3305 is an in-game fact, but I wouldn't expect anyone to have specifically asked what it was [1] on the forums yet.

Equally, if you think the forum should contain answers to these questions, why not start a "should have been asked earlier" thread to specifically contain the questions and their answers as you come across them?

[1] It depends whether you mean the morning (4445t) or the afternoon (3898t). There's some much more interesting further questions to ask about why that difference occurred which are already answered on the forum, but in terms of the general principles involved, not in terms of the details leading to that specific transition. And so it is with things like Wolfe Reach - there are plenty of posts on the forum that will answer all sorts of settlement-related questions for you in general principle terms, but they're highly unlikely to mention that specific settlement by name.

P.S. Youll get '1st Mapped' message all the time, or I do anyway, its bugged, if your name aint on the planet you aint the 1st to map it. :)I know for a fact I mapped Lave and I wasnt the first, so unless theres 2 more planets added since then.....
Ok, I just realized that there are only "first mapped by [name]" in the System map for these central systems, but no "first discovered by [name]" even though both entries exist for systems further outside. At first I guessed that DSSing would not provide an entry due to the lack of two entries when I looked at populated systems.

Good example for something that should be documented clearly and be explained in beginner tutorials, but doesn't seem to be.

should fail any "is this remotely plausible" test, though.
When knowing that it provides an entry, definitely.

Attachments

• ed-map-vs-discover.jpg
    ed-map-vs-discover.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210301182804_1.jpg
    20210301182804_1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210301182842_1.jpg
    20210301182842_1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Ok, I just realized that there are only "first mapped by [name]" in the System map for these central systems, but no "first discovered by [name]" even though both entries exist for systems further outside.

- first discovered: systems with an initial population in the Gamma 1 release of >=1 million people were considered "public knowledge" and pre-discovered on the map, so weren't possible to first discover as a player [1]. (Interestingly, with the 3.3 exploration changes, this doesn't seem to still apply in terms of being able to view the system map before visiting, for most of them)
- first mapped: only a few very high-profile systems were considered "public knowledge" for mapping when that was released.

So there's a bunch of inhabited systems which couldn't be first discovered, but could be first mapped. Equally, plenty of objects in inhabited systems can be both.

For "first walked" Frontier have said all inhabited systems will be excluded, which will complicate it further.

[1] The reason you could discover smaller systems has to do with earlier (and discarded pre-release) concepts for how cartographic data would work, I suspect.

When knowing that it provides an entry, definitely.
Yes. There's a big specific gap for things which "have been that way for ages" - "everyone" knows them, so no-one bothers to write it down, so everyone else has to discover it for themselves. In theory the wiki is probably the best type of source to cover this ... in practice, as you've noticed, it's not got the editing community it needs to offer reliable current information on a lot of topics.

Top Bottom