"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

To summarize...

'We've heard that most of you want some form of ship entry and specifically not a fade to black teleport to cockpit. So we've work hard and long and..... we're going with the fade to black to cockpit.'

Par for the course, right up there with..

"We know a lot of you want ship interiors , especially since we kind of hinted at them more than once during the Kickstart phase. So we've put our best devs on it and..... no ship interiors"

😂😂😂
It does look like minimum viable effort to stitch Horizons and Odyssey together. Personally, I'd like the choice to take the long route up the stairs.

Though by the time it turns up, it might have to involve a chair lift.

It does look like minimum viable effort to stitch Horizons and Odyssey together. Personally, I'd like the choice to take the long route up the stairs.

Though by the time it turns up, it might have to involve a chair lift.
I think at some point Arthur said something like "Imagine, you're in a firefight, and you have to take off quickly, you cannot just wait and see the animation of going up the ladder every single time, while everyone's shooting at you" and so on and so forth.

I am a bit worried still, that everyone at FDEV thinks that we are going to shoot things 24/7 in this exapnsion. I mean seriously now, they need to stop with this. I got it, we have weapons, we can shoot stuff, then run toward the ship like they did in that demo, and everyone will shoot at you, ok, I got that. But you cannot say we don't have ship interiors because of that.

That's some primo gaslighting there, Arthur Tolmie.

So, er, didn’t catch the stream yet ... will we now HAVE to get out of the ship to find missions? I kinda assumed the ship-based missions would remain available from the existing menus ... having to run around finding the right person to pick up a few Courier missions would kinda suck ... not to mention carrying 196 tons of bio-waste back to the hangar ...

So, er, didn’t catch the stream yet ... will we now HAVE to get out of the ship to find missions? I kinda assumed the ship-based missions would remain available from the existing menus ... having to run around finding the right person to pick up a few Courier missions would kinda suck ... not to mention carrying 196 tons of bio-waste back to the hangar ...
I am curious myself how that will play out; I hope we can have the option to run around the base and pick up missions, and also have a mission board? Because if we do have to run around, boy, that's gonna get stale pretty quick.

I think at some point Arthur said something like "Imagine, you're in a firefight, and you have to take off quickly, you cannot just wait and see the animation of going up the ladder every single time, while everyone's shooting at you" and so on and so forth.

I am a bit worried still, that everyone at FDEV thinks that we are going to shoot things 24/7 in this exapnsion. I mean seriously now, they need to stop with this. I got it, we have weapons, we can shoot stuff, then run toward the ship like they did in that demo, and everyone will shoot at you, ok, I got that. But you cannot say we don't have ship interiors because of that.

That's some primo gaslighting there, Arthur Tolmie.

Just have two buttons when you focus your targeting reticule on the ramp:

X Board Ship
O Go To Pilots Seat

Job done.

Do the same for the SRV menu as well and then you always have the option to either transition inside your ship with full animations and then be walking around inside (wait, they’ve not done that yet but you get my drift ...) or skip the animations and transition straight to being able to fly the ship if you’re in a hurry.

Yeah, but then they'd have to design ship interiors, and this is where the "problem" is.... they don't have them.
Even if it just put you inside the cockpit (which they do have) where there is a door with the options:

X Disembark (On Foot)
O Deploy SRV (if you have one)
[ ] Deploy SLF (if you have one)

Each of which triggers the appropriate animation to the different mode / vehicle. Full ship interiors could come later.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I am curious myself how that will play out; I hope we can have the option to run around the base and pick up missions, and also have a mission board? Because if we do have to run around, boy, that's gonna get stale pretty quick.
I think they suggested both would be possible. Walking around the station or a menu system if you prefer as it is now.

Each of which triggers the appropriate animation to the different mode / vehicle. Full ship interiors could come later.

Let's face it, based on evidence presented full ship interiors are highly unlikely.

I think they suggested both would be possible. Walking around the station or a menu system if you prefer as it is now.

Let's face it, based on evidence presented full ship interiors are highly unlikely.
Well then, if I can avoid going at a snail's pace around stations with a horrific frame rate, I am ok with it.

I'm sure you'll be able to run and the walking and looking around was for effect.
I am sure we can run; it was the same in No Man's Sky's hubs, everyone was running around, getting the missions and their rewards and out of there as soon as possible. No interaction with other players whatsoever; everyone was "wow-ed" in the beginning, but the novelty effect wore off pretty quick.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I am sure we can run; it was the same in No Man's Sky's hubs, everyone was running around, getting the missions and their rewards and out of there as soon as possible. No interaction with other players whatsoever; everyone was "wow-ed" in the beginning, but the novelty effect wore off pretty quick.
This will always be the thing, it 'might' be a good place to meet up with other CMDRs to do missions. I'd very much like that as I think Odyssey will be better in group play although I usually play on my own and just o7 the CMDRs I meet. But, in some of the Waframe events I've played these areas did lead to teaming up. It may or may not work.

This is probably the exact reason they don't do ship interiors. People will explore them once and never look again potentially.

This will always be the thing, it 'might' be a good place to meet up with other CMDRs to do missions. I'd very much like that as I think Odyssey will be better in group play although I usually play on my own and just o7 the CMDRs I'd meet.

This is probably the exact reason they don't do ship interiors. People will ecolor them once and never look again potentially.
In my personal case, I'd have ship interiors over generic base interiors any given day, but that's just me. And I also think that having base interiors before ship interiors was a bit of putting the cart before the horse, but it's not my company, not my decision.

In my personal case, I'd have ship interiors over generic base interiors any given day, but that's just me. And I also think that having base interiors before ship interiors was a bit of putting the cart before the horse, but it's not my company, not my decision.

The teleport to the cockpit transition is going to get jarring for me.
I’d really like to explore each of my ships interiors.

I know it’s quick teleporting to the cockpit, but for immersions sake...

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Doing a generic station interior is much easier than modelling all the ship interiors from a work load point if view. Don't get me wrong. I'd love ship interiors. Just doubt we'll get it. It's like our Cobra IV debate on PS4. It was all vague answers and nothing concrete till 3 years later 'nope, no Cobra IV for PlayStation'. My bet is ship interiors end up going the same way. Hope I am wrong.

I also agree with earthtone, the blue circle fade to black really looks out of place to me. 😟

Doing a generic station interior is much easier than modelling all the ship interiors from a work load point if view. Don't get me wrong. I'd love ship interiors. Just doubt we'll get it. It's like our Cobra IV debate on PS4. It was all vague answers and nothing concrete till 3 years later 'nope, no Cobra IV for PlayStation'. My bet is ship interiors end up going the same way. Hope I am wrong.
I totally agree with you, base interiors are much, much easier than ships' interiors.

Also, imagine going around your ship and using a lot of cockpit customization all over the place? But hey... they could sell a bunch of Arx like that?

Ship interiors could start as a simple path from entry ramp to cockpit with a breakout seating area for medium / large ships where appropriate. All other 'rooms' could be just blocked off, locked doors.
(then in the future - if the Frontier had the appetite, then additional rooms could be added etc)

But like all things Playstation, I doubt it'll happen.

The game used to be a shining light on what was possible on the Playstation but four (it'll be five by the time we could potentially get Odyssey) years later it is looking a bit tired compared to what other games are doing on the same or the later generation console.
(Stuck at 1080, a meaningless performance / quality toggle, Squadron comms that are absent just as much as they are present.)

I am really fearful that Frontier will release Odyssey on PC, there will be a back-lash from the PC FPS crew who want lots of changes and Frontier will then announce that console will be delayed into May 2022 (just in time to meet the stock market commitments of delivery in the financial year) citing the need to address current performance issues.

Odyssey on consoles will then go the same way as the Cobra MkIV and be ignored until the last minute (and possibly only then rolled out as a half-hearted attempt if forced).

There is absolutely no love being shown for either Console community.

Top Bottom