Odyssey Alpha PC Specifications & Download Time

Greetings Commanders,

With the Odyssey Alpha almost upon us we wanted to take the opportunity to share with you our minimum and recommended specifications for the Alpha phase of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

Please note that as this is an Alpha phase, a large amount of optimisation work for the final release is yet to be completed. As with all pre-released content, please be aware that you may encounter bugs and inconsistent performance as part of your experience. Community feedback is a vital part of the Alpha process and we would encourage everyone to share their experience to help shape Odyssey into the best experience for launch.

If you want to report an issue, or check if an issue has already been reported, please head over to the issue tracker:

https://issues.frontierstore.net/reported-issues/elite-dangerous-odyssey-alpha

These specifications are subject to change as we move toward release.

Recommended Specs (High Settings at 1080p)

• Intel Core i5-8600K / AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (above 4 GHz recommended)
  • 12GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX 5500
  • 60GB available space

Minimum Specs (Low Settings at 720p)

• Intel Core i5-4590 / AMD FX-4350
  • 8GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 / AMD Radeon R9 280X
  • 60GB available space

Please note, the VR implementations are not currently optimised and not ready for testing at this time.

We're aiming for the Alpha to be available for download at 11AM BST/10AM UTC on Monday 29th March.

We can't wait to begin to share what we've been working on with you all!

See you in Odyssey, Commanders!

o7
Damnit - I start work at 11am! Curses!

In this game, my dream is to make the most of my computer configuration:
  • Tobii eye tracker 4c
  • CPU: Intel® Core i9-9900K
  • RAM: HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4 3466
  • GPU: GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
  • SSD : Samsung 860 PRO - 1TB
I specifically bought this computer configuration for this game.
Seems like it should run Odyssey ok 🙂.

Looking at the system specs for Odyssey I am not going to participate in the alpha and just concentrate on the actual game. I have concerns of the demands the alpha will put on my ageing PC. We will see if FDev have made the game playable to all of its player base post alpha testing and optimisation.

It makes no sense for FDev to freeze out a large chunk of non apex PC owners when they release Odyssey.

Or am I just being way too naive?

Last edited:
Looking at the system specs for Odyssey I am not going to participate in the alpha and just concentrate on the actual game. I have concerns of the demands the alpha will put on my ageing PC. We will see if FDev have made the game playable to all of its player base post alpha testing and optimisation.

It makes no sense for FDev to freeze out a large chunk of non apex PC owners when they release Odyssey.
I would suggest the opposite, that actually attempting to play Odyssey Alpha with a sup optimal pc is something players with such pcs should do, as this will inform Frontier of the level of optimisation they need to implement for the live game.

Otherwise i can see the live game launching and then many players complaining about its poor performance on their pcs.

Minimum Specs (Low Settings at 720p)

Even my i5-3570K and 3470 CPU´s (on 2 different desktops) are in every comparison WAY better than AMD FX-4350, except in that over 4 GHz number...

Is that 4 GHz the wall that I will hit before reaching that soft spot hole not covered at the Death Star?

Or am I just being way too naive?

None of those required specs are exactly high end, the recommended specs are a 7 year old CPU and a 5 years old mid range GPU.

Yeah but no one should expect each new release to work on the same old rigs it did before, I'm sure FDev have enough data on the specs being used by the community to be targeting what encompasses the majority of the player base.

Yeah but no one should expect each new release to work on the same old rigs it did before, I'm sure FDev have enough data on the specs being used by the community to be targeting what encompasses the majority of the player base.

I understand that, and hope FD will go to demand higher specs (even if just for Ultra that would not be on consoles), but still wonder why inferior AMD CPU will work in alpha, compared to my i5´s that won´t (though a bit older).

I'll give you a reason why we expect that: FDev said so. They explicitly said they are aiming for the same specs to be able to hit the same performance. So there's that.

Looking at the system specs for Odyssey I am not going to participate in the alpha and just concentrate on the actual game. I have concerns the demands the alpha will put on my PC will be detrimental. We will see if FDev have made the game playable to its player base post alpha and optimisation.

It makes no sense for FDev to freeze out a large chunk of non apex PC owners when they release Odyssey, or does it?
I sincerely doubt a “majority” of the player base are going to be unable to play the game. The hardware requirements are pushing 7 to 8 years old now.

Really, what do you people want FDev to do? Make the game using the original 1990s doom engine so you can run it on your potato DOS PC?

How is Intel Core i5-8600K 7 years old??
You are right I was thinking about the minimum specs, but my point still stands, I could run this on the scrap parts I keep under my bed.

New releases will nearly always push hardware requirements up, and I don't think that's a bad thing if it leads to increased fidelity, better gameplay and a smoother experience.

Even my i5-3570K and 3470 CPU´s (on 2 different desktops) are in every comparison WAY better than AMD FX-4350, except in that over 4 GHz number...

Is that 4 GHz the wall that I will hit before reaching that soft spot hole not covered at the Death Star?
I am 99% sure you will be fine. Your cpu is lacking 2-3 instuction sets compared to 4th gen, but thats it. Some Division 2 players, who were running below specs with Phenom processors could play fine in first year, got canned from playing the game in 2nd year because of lacking instruction sets needed for game. But in your case you should be fine for Oddyssey (not a promise though. fdev have been quite a few weird shenanigans with the game already).

Top Bottom