Odyssey Alpha PC Specifications & Download Time

I was under the impression EDO would run on any PC capable of running ED. I currently run ED on this...
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
32 GB RAM
GTX 1060

MSFS also had a minimum requirement of an i5, but it runs on my i3-4170.

Should this be ok for EDO, or should I run out and upgrade?

Just saw this reply from earlier...

I assume those specs aren't strict, if your build can comfortably run Horizons at ultra settings, chances are it will be capable of running Odyssey at low-medium settings.

Yes, I run on ultra all the time, so hope thats good...thanks!

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders,

With the Odyssey Alpha almost upon us we wanted to take the opportunity to share with you our minimum and recommended specifications for the Alpha phase of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

Please note that as this is an Alpha phase, a large amount of optimisation work for the final release is yet to be completed. As with all pre-released content, please be aware that you may encounter bugs and inconsistent performance as part of your experience. Community feedback is a vital part of the Alpha process and we would encourage everyone to share their experience to help shape Odyssey into the best experience for launch.

If you want to report an issue, or check if an issue has already been reported, please head over to the issue tracker:

https://issues.frontierstore.net/reported-issues/elite-dangerous-odyssey-alpha

These specifications are subject to change as we move toward release.

Recommended Specs (High Settings at 1080p)

• Intel Core i5-8600K / AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (above 4 GHz recommended)
  • 12GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX 5500
  • 60GB available space

Minimum Specs (Low Settings at 720p)

• Intel Core i5-4590 / AMD FX-4350
  • 8GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 / AMD Radeon R9 280X
  • 60GB available space

Please note, the VR implementations are not currently optimised and not ready for testing at this time.

We're aiming for the Alpha to be available for download at 11AM BST/10AM UTC on Monday 29th March.

We can't wait to begin to share what we've been working on with you all!

See you in Odyssey, Commanders!

o7
is that 60 additional gigs in addition to the game has already or a total of both.

I have always waited until the official release of previous episodes but as I am signed up for the Alpha I wondered whether I will have access to Horizons as well as the Alpha or will the Alpha install over Horizons?.

I have always waited until the official release of previous episodes but as I am signed up for the Alpha I wondered whether I will have access to Horizons as well as the Alpha or will the Alpha install over Horizons?.
You will get an additional entry in the launcher alongside your normal "Production" game.

As the Alpha wont affect the main universe, I am really not that bothered about getting involved and downloading my preorder until the initial wrinkles are worked out. Lets face it Monday is doubtless going to be a sh*tshow of bugs and disconnects- why inflict that on myself when I can get disconnects and bugs aplenty plus earn credits/mats in the main universe?

Last edited:
As the Alpha wont affect the main universe, I am really not that bothered about getting involved and downloading my preorder until the initial wrinkles are worked out. Lets face it Monday is doubtless going to be a show of bugs and disconnects- why inflict that on myself when I can get disconnects and bugs aplenty plus earn credits/mats in the main universe?

Probably, but then that is kind of the point in (at least the first part of) this alpha. They are trying to stress the servers, it's pretty much why we are confined to one planet/system initially.

Monday morning ... people download alpha ..

View attachment 214738
That post was highly insensitive, and it hurt my feelings (me being a VR enthusiast), which is not PC. Shame on you Facta ;)

On a more serious note: This is why I'll use Monday to watch YT videos from Yamiks et al, and once (if ever) I can play Odd in VR, I'll happily buy the update. Until then, it's potentially just a large amount of vapor like NMS was an SC still is.

Probably, but then that is kind of the point in (at least the first part of) this alpha. They are trying to stress the servers, it's pretty much why we are confined to one planet/system initially.
True, but it'd be still too much to expect anything to work on launch day :D

I'll be in a dilemma come tomorrow. Do I:

a) play Odyssey?
b) grind combat rank as the next one isn't far off?

or perhaps...

c) grind combat whilst waiting for a) to d/l... if that's even possible.

I agree everybody should postpone downloading until the following day when all the issues will have been solved.
I too shall not be downloading until Tuesday.
23CD479E-E61C-46A2-A04C-B7916F370845.jpeg
...and I hope everyone follows our example!

Top Bottom