Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

CIG has the money (and the time) to develop the tools as they want while developing their first game.

Not really. They are totally dependent on the continued funding and goodwill of backers.

They almost ran out once and Chris had to ask for money from Calder and in the process sold 14% of the company to a third party that the backers paid for.

As long as backers keep giving CIG money, then they can remain afloat. If there was some serious shift in backer confidence then they will be be forced to stop adding things to the scope and focus on shipping something, anything, as a release. They probably won't have more than a year or two with some scaling back.

Haha, the building isn't scheduled for completion until next year. CIG are buying into an alpha building :p

Also, why in this day and age and "thanks" to COVID, when many companies are finally acknowledging the benefits of working from home (reduced overheads, increased flexibility for staff) are they investing in new office space.

For many years there was this resistance to having employees working from home. A fear of reduced productivity, fear that staff will cheat their working hours, and various other concerns, but from what i've heard, people are happier and more productive. The only downside is the lack of direct social interactions, but you can make up for that with friends.

If they are confident in their engine's capabilities and happy with the current state of SQ42, they can effectively prepare for the post-SQ42 future before having released it.
Currently they're confident they'll soon be able to finalize the idea of the team formation needed to design the first steps that'll help conceptualize the tech that could be able to effectively make a working tool that will ramp up SQ42 development.

What tools have they developed that other developers are clamouring to use?
Internal tools for CIG only (like Fdev with Cobra).
Not really. They are totally dependent on the continued funding and goodwill of backers.
"dependent on the continued funding" like any other company. No funding, no company.
I guess they develop their tools since the ILLFONIC debacle (2015 ?). If so, 6 years of development on a game engine is not negligible.

Internal tools for CIG only (like Fdev with Cobra).

"dependent on the continued funding" like any other company. No funding, no company.
I guess they develop their tools since the ILLFONIC debacle (2015 ?). If so, 6 years of development on a game engine is not negligible.
It seems to me they they just use the plugins that anyone can use for Lumberyard. Speedtree for example.

Also...
Q. Can I take Lumberyard and make my own game engine and distribute it?
No. While you may maintain an internal version of Lumberyard that you have modified, you may not use Lumberyard to distribute your own game engine, to make improvements to another game engine, or otherwise compete with Lumberyard.

However, you may distribute your own fork of Lumberyard via the Lumberyard Repository on GitHub, as long as you comply with the requirements of our terms, and include a copy of our license notice in your fork. Users who use your fork must agree to the AWS Customer Agreement and the Lumberyard Service Terms, and their use of your fork is governed by those terms.

Yes, like any other company, except normally that funding comes from internal where they have a budget and plans. CIG seem to think backers money and time are infinite resources.

Most companies release products and succeed or fail based on what they release.

CIG so far are succeeding based on fairy dust and dreams. If the faith of backers falter the wallets will close, and the dream will be over, without a released product.

I wonder how a backer would feel if he found out his donation was used to buy the doughnuts Sandi tried to humiliate Ben with?
Honestly speaking I feel that should be okay. You could argue how sensible or needed futuristic custom sliding doors or barista-level 10K coffe machines (plus staff) are but stuff like beverages, morale-boosting items and such? All fair game IMO...part of development requirements really. And stuff like futuristic furniture become okay once the game goes life and the company makes the transition to a marketing front at which point a nice looking entrance underlining your whole "meta" is nice to have.

That goes for your specific example only tho. Personally I think CiG has thrown out and wasted enormous amounts of money left and right over the years for various reasons. Greed, stupidity, incompetence, stubborness and ego...take your pick. Its like a bag full of kittens, regardless where you poke...you gonna get a MEOW out of it.

Yes, like any other company, except normally that funding comes from internal where they have a budget and plans. CIG seem to think backers money and time are infinite resources.
And it seems they think right. Perhaps because a lot of backers (new and old) have fun or enjoy the alpha already ?

Most companies release products and succeed or fail based on what they release.
CIG so far are succeeding based on fairy dust and dreams. If the faith of backers falter the wallets will close, and the dream will be over, without a released product.
Fairy dust and dreams ? Faith of backers ? Maybe two years ago. Atm despite the bugs, there is already a game. You can pretend not to see it here, hiding it behind a meticulous collection of all the bug's videos available on the web but you can "play" the alpha and not just test it. And all new backers that don't ask for a refund see it also. And they give money to CIG because they like what they see and love the ships released by CIG (fun fact, owning a ship in SC is really enjoyable).

You can succeed on an alpha. Releasing or not the product is not the sole factor (Minecraft, Valheim, Subnautica, Star Citizen, etc). And for what I know, it seems that SC is greatly succeeding.

"If the faith of backers falter the wallets will close" : but it's too late my friend, the wallets will not close. If the wallets had not close 2 years ago when the alpha was in a very poor state, it will not close now that the alpha is much more playable and pretty and with more gameplay mechanisms...

CIG will not stop to make solo games after the SQ42 release. They make tools to develop games, prepare to hear about them for a long time if SQ42 is a success.
If you haven't notice, CR has great ambitions for his company. He wants to be equal to Rockstar.
They spend a lot of ressources to create a game engine and they will use it after SQ42.
CIG is developing the Star Engine to get on par to the Cobra and Rage engine on it's first game.

Oo you've said it three times. It will now become true.

They were huge succes before being released.
You also didn't have to wonder where Subnautica was in development. Unlike CIG, Unknown Worlds made their progress very open and public:

Top Bottom