Cloaking Device -

Cloaking device - as far as I’m aware - was exclusive to the ZX Spectrum version of Elite. There was a flashing ship that you had to destroy and then scoop up the equipment.

Edit: ...aaaand ninja’d 😅

Those old days were strange - it seemed every different platform got a different variation of the game. But the original was the BBC, and that had no Romulans cloaking devices.
Well ack-shullee... 😁

BBC Master Elite
(Bell & Braben, 2nd release 1986, 3rd release 1986 on combination disk with Tube and original BBC disk versions.)

It apparently has more than the 2 original BBC Elite “secret” missions but I am unaware how many more. One is to track down and destroy a Cloak and Dagger ship which has stolen a cloaking device from the Navy. This has been reported to be a (the?) Cougar, a new ship introduced in that release.

Well ack-shullee... 😁

BBC Master Elite
(Bell & Braben, 2nd release 1986, 3rd release 1986 on combination disk with Tube and original BBC disk versions.)

It apparently has more than the 2 original BBC Elite “secret” missions but I am unaware how many more. One is to track down and destroy a Cloak and Dagger ship which has stolen a cloaking device from the Navy. This has been reported to be a (the?) Cougar, a new ship introduced in that release.
Tphhhhht. Anyone playing something after the '84 is playing a fake ;)

(I think it only had 2 missions, and I missed one because I'd taken a Galactic Hyperjump to Galaxy 2 before it triggered, and by the time I worked my way back to Galaxy 1 it refused to trigger :( )

Tphhhhht. Anyone playing something after the '84 is playing a fake ;)

(I think it only had 2 missions, and I missed one because I'd taken a Galactic Hyperjump to Galaxy 2 before it triggered, and by the time I worked my way back to Galaxy 1 it refused to trigger :( )
I got to play in ‘84, though with the poor-man’s version on the Acorn Electron.

No missions for me. Or stars. Or as many ships. Or fuel scooping etc etc. 😅

How about active E-Warfare? False signal echos, longer lock on times, shorter detection range (the last one we have). Attack the enemy radar screen, not the laws of physics itself required to make a solid object invisble on all frequencies.

Well ack-shullee... 😁

BBC Master Elite

Pfff, that new-fangled Master thing? Couldn't afford it, but I managed to upgrade my v0.1 BBC Micro, first with a v1.2 OS chip, then a disc interface (involving digging into the circuit board and soldering onto an exposed track), then a massive 128k sideways RAM.

These days, when buying something like a USB memory stick, I like to work out how many million BBC Micros it equals.

But they still managed to draw the rotating Cobra with HIDDEN LINE REMOVAL !

It should be possible to make a shields down emissions/visual cloak using an inverted shield technology. Since a shield uses some variety of monopolar function to allow passage of energy/matter in one direction, if the shield is pointing inward at the generating vessel, that vessel should be invisible (visualization is a reflection of light from the hull).

This would require that the ship not be generating thrust, and that no active emissions (weapons, active sensors, normal shields, etc) are functioning. You'd have normal shield charge cycle, and, if the ship wants traditional shields, you could only have one or the other active with a charge cycle for activating either.

It would require its own OC, separate from any actual shields.

Cloaking device - as far as I’m aware - was exclusive to the ZX Spectrum version of Elite. There was a flashing ship that you had to destroy and then scoop up the equipment.

Edit: ...aaaand ninja’d 😅
It was in the C64 version. You had to take a mission to destroy the ship with it then collect it with the cargo scoop.

Top Bottom