Dedicated Animal Packs are a Welcome Shift in DLC Format

Well this aged quite poorly
Not really. I don't know why everyone is jumping up and down about those "leaked" animal tags. It's kind of silly. Literally the only thing we know is that those four animals are probably going to be in an upcoming DLC.

The next DLC won't drop until June/July, it's nuts that everyone is so willing to make assumptions. Even if it does turn out to be another 4+1 pack, we don't know that for sure right now.

Not really. I don't know why everyone is jumping up and down about those "leaked" animal tags. It's kind of silly. Literally the only thing we know is that those four animals are probably going to be in an upcoming DLC.

The next DLC won't drop until June/July, it's nuts that everyone is so willing to make assumptions. Even if it does turn out to be another 4+1 pack, we don't know that for sure right now.
I hope you are right. I do hope it’s too early to assume. I really won’t be happy if it’s a return to 4+1.
I would welcome those animals but I’d like them to be in miscellaneous packs as opposed to all in one.

I really won’t be happy if it’s a return to 4+1.

There's really no such thing as a "return to 4+1" though. It was stated very clearly and quite a few times that the animal packs were another type of DLC on top of the 4+1 + scenery f DLC. The animal packs are just another form of DLC, but they never said the other DLC model would be retired.

So there's no return really, we're going to have a of with regular and animal packs for the coming future. Which is the best course of action if you ask me, there's a bunch of people who want more animals and a bunch of people who also still want scenery. Best of both worlds.

Please fill me in, what happened?

There's been speculation that the next DLC pack will be more similar to previous packs before the Southeast Asian animal-only pack. A YouTuber claimed to have evidence. I believe the video has already been removed for breaking Frontier's rules, which is why it's advised not to discuss those shenanigans here on the forums.

Anyway, as @ElectricMonk above in this thread said, the team at Frontier never said they were committing to one kind of DLC pack, only that animal-only packs were something they'd being doing (for Southeast Asia, at least). Hopefully they'll create a range of DLC packs in the future so that all kinds of players are able to get interesting new things to play with in the game.

I believe they will alternate the DLCs between 4+1 packs and animal packs. Which to me is the best way to go.
This is an unpopular opinion, but I don't really like animal packs ; as a builder I thought the absence of scenery and foliage in the last pack was very sad... it's the only pack I haven't bought.
BUT, I know that the majority of players want animal pack, and I understand that, so I think alternating the two formulas would be great :)

That’s very true as Chante even mentioned before leaving that this would not be the end of building set/animal packs and that’s ok really. Believe it or not the game still needs more traditional zoo building items. Also the dlc coming up appears to have been legit not assumptions. The leak was in the game files itself vs rumors or speculation. Anyway I’m sure frontier catching on to this will now possibly change things up a bit.

Last edited:
I believe they will alternate the DLCs between 4+1 packs and animal packs. Which to me is the best way to go.
This is an unpopular opinion, but I don't really like animal packs ; as a builder I thought the absence of scenery and foliage in the last pack was very sad... it's the only pack I haven't bought.
BUT, I know that the majority of players want animal pack, and I understand that, so I think alternating the two formulas would be great :)
I quite agree that both the animals and the theme stuff are nice additions to the game, and I wouldn't mind at all if they keep releasing such content.

I do wonder why they don't simply go for separate theme and animal packs, it seems like that would satisfy everyone..

Edit: Actually can't believe I just suggested it is possible to satisfy everyone on the internet. What was I thinking ;)

Alternating DLC formats is indeed the right balance to keep everyone happy. Though I think a bigger mixed DLC (15€: 8 animals and ~200 building pieces) would also have a good general opinion.
But anyway I always try to ask this to the PZ builders (so it's nothing personal). Other than mesh/netting pieces and some backstage props, what other pieces do you think are needed and/or would be greatly welcome in the community? Bear in mind that if an Aviary pack comes to fruition, the mesh and netting roofs are most likely going to be included there anyway.

Alternating DLC formats is indeed the right balance to keep everyone happy. Though I think a bigger mixed DLC (15€: 8 animals and ~200 building pieces) would also have a good general opinion.
But anyway I always try to ask this to the PZ builders (so it's nothing personal). Other than mesh/netting pieces and some backstage props, what other pieces do you think are needed and/or would be greatly welcome in the community? Bear in mind that if an Aviary pack comes to fruition, the mesh and netting roofs are most likely going to be included there anyway.
These are some ideas of what I would like to see:
  • Native American theme (totems, teepees, wood, logs...)
  • Arabian/Moorish theme (mosaics, tile work, arched doors...)
  • Medieval Europe theme (stone walls, pavements, gothic architecture...)
  • Desert theme (tents, adobe houses...)
  • Modern/city zoo theme (mesh, chain link, glass, backstage props...)
I don't know if those would be greatly welcomed by everyone in the community, these are just my personal tastes (I quite like themed pieces) :)

I think we need a few more themes, just a quick pick:

Native American/Wild West theme
Arabian/Moorish or Egyptian theme
Europe theme: Gothic or Bavarian
Traditional/Modern zoo: not talking about mesh/netting but just general stuff - like also different styles of donation boxes.

For most SEA building we needed especially more roofing options. Every build i've seen has an African or SA touch to it, which is slightly disappointing. It lacks that majestic touch.

BUT, I know that the majority of players want animal pack, and I understand that, so I think alternating the two formulas would be great
Basically everyone wanted more animals but not everyone wanted this at the expense of building pieces.
Alternating/mixing it up, is a great way to keep it interesting. Highly depends on the actual theme on what could work.

Bear in mind that if an Aviary pack comes to fruition, the mesh and netting roofs are most likely going to be included there anyway
Would be nice but habitat building pieces for exhibit-like animals, not sure about that one.

We got basically the same theme ideas :)
Traditional/Modern zoo: not talking about mesh/netting but just general stuff - like also different styles of donation boxes.
I haven't thought of that, and I agree ! Specially the donation boxes, they are ugly as hell, even the trash cans are prettier...

Not a builder and I tend to try to keep my piece count low so personally I would love some slightly different textures in the game. Personally I think there are a lot of wood options at the moment and some decent concrete and stone but I's like more glass building pieces and would also love some more cloth / textile based bits and pieces. I know it's difficult because unless they were all animated you have to deal with them being stiff but I still think they bring more life to the game.

Maybe I got a wrong impression, but I thought that with the 4 first DLCs, most of the people (builders and non-builders) agreed that the packs needed more animals. Many people agreed that even just one extra animal, even if it was just a resking, would be great. Now, after 1 pack with only animals and no building pieces, it seems that many people wouldn't mind going back to the old model with just 4 animals, that same old model that was often complained about during more than a year. I also want more pieces, but I don't want to be back to the old model. I keep thinking that something inbetween the two options we have would satisfy more people.

As much as I like building pieces, I would always favour animals. Always.

That doesn't mean I don't want to see more building pieces going forward. I'd love to see more foliage and A LOT MORE zoo building pieces: different types of ropes, cables, more faux tree/rocks, branches, dead trees, tires, statues (more consistency please), signs (more consistency please),...

And every now and again, some useful and versatile building pieces, like they did with the Aquatic pack.

But not heavily themed stuff. Versatility is key.

PD: please Frontier, make the "yellow" indian building set flexicolour.

Maybe I got a wrong impression, but I thought that with the 4 first DLCs, most of the people (builders and non-builders) agreed that the packs needed more animals. Many people agreed that even just one extra animal, even if it was just a resking, would be great. Now, after 1 pack with only animals and no building pieces, it seems that many people wouldn't mind going back to the old model with just 4 animals, that same old model that was often complained about during more than a year. I also want more pieces, but I don't want to be back to the old model. I keep thinking that something inbetween the two options we have would satisfy more people.
The explanation is: they're not the same people ! I was personally very happy with the previous DLCs (never in my life did I complain about them) and not happy with the animal DLC. But people that wanted more animals were complaining about the previous DLC and happy with the animal one. Different people want different things and will complain about what they don't have.
That's why some of us are suggesting alternating the two formulas, to please everyone !

For instance alternating animal and traditional (4+1) packs?

Well, I was thinking more of trying to find a middle point so that when there's a 4 animal pack the "animal team" is not so unhappy and when there's an all animal pack the "builder team" is not so unhappy. With that system of alternance there is a part of the players that will be annoyed. That's why I think that a better balance in all packs every 3 months is better than a big difference every 6 months.

Maybe it's because I want both things, more animals and more pieces 😂

Yeah, we need some more building themes ( :p Mutso). But I'm not sure if all the themes suggested here would need ~200 building pieces slots. Going one by one:

-Native American:
Totems, teepees: Sure, I think these would be welcome scenery and they can be seen in some zoos. 10-15 pieces.
Wood, logs: Not sure about these, specially the latter. We've got plenty of logs and wood pieces already that allow to create multiple wooden walls/roofs. I think it'd just help to make all the current wood pieces flexicolor. At most, they could make an horizontal wood beams/planks modular set. 20-25 pieces.
Wildwest stuff: too themy for my personal liking, and I don't recall wildwest being a recurrent theme used in zoos. Leaving aside very specific scenery, it can mostly be achieved in-game already.

-Moorish, Arabian, Egyptian:
This one I really think would make sense and will most likely make it to the next pack anyway. Not because we need moorish architecture per se or because it's a popular architecture style used in zoos, but because we don't have any kind of tiled walls/roofs in game, which could be quite versatile for other themes too. Mosaics and other moorish motifs (arches, domes, etc.) could complement what we have really well. However, I think an adobe modular building set could be ideal to reach the magical number of ~200 pieces. I don't see us getting this in a different pack.

-(Medieval) Europe theme:
Stone walls: yes, we definetely need this. Something a bit more rustic than the dry-stone Asian ones, and preferably flexicolor. But even making this already in-game set and the yellow Indian stones flexicolor would do the trick. 20-25 pieces.
Pavements: mmm they can mostly be done with the current pieces.
Gothic theme: I love this architectural style irl but imo it would have no place in a zoo game. Could work for some ruined church but overall it’d be too specific and too themy I think. Not that I wouldn’t like it, but it’d be almost stretching the building aspect of the game too much in detriment of the animals. The rest of potential European scenery is mostly covered already.
Bavarian theme: can already be done 100% with the current pieces.

-Desert: I think everything that could potentially be in a ‘desert’ theme can already be incorporated in the Moorish theme to help it reach 200 pieces.

-Traditional/modern zoo:
A wider variety of generic and/or utilitarian pieces or scenery would be welcome but again I doubt they could reach 200 pieces unless chainlink, mesh, netting, etc. is included. The need for more signs is not so pressing now that we have custom billboards. I can see all this being included in an Aviary pack.

Overall, and like it's been suggested a couple of times already, a good compromise would be making 6 animals + 60-80 scenery pieces packs, along with some free items (hello foliage!) here and there coming with free updates. But anyway, it's all most likely planned for the next 2 packs at least. Minor adjustments could be made but the fact that Chante said that this will be the best year in PZ makes me think that whatever they're gonna release is already planned and in advanced stages of development.

Last edited:
Top Bottom