Do you wish you played on PC?

I play games on both PC and Xbox but my back has gotten so bad I can hardly sit in a chair at desk any longer. Are you happy on Xbox, do you prefer it for ED?

I'm going to give it a start and was curious if there was anything fundamentally different or what things third party wise can you still use on Xbox.

Thanks a bunch

I'll take my comfy couch and big screen tv over a computer desk any day...ED looks pretty damn good on the XBSX too.
this really, i got a big 4k tv xbsx and a simple controller that has everything mapped out
for a similar set up a pc would be far too much and the mere thought of having to map everything gives me chills

saying that if I ever win the lottery I would have a monster setup

Due to the steam and epic games store give aways

+Geforce now free 1 hour play time
+HDMI out to HDTV,
+The companies that got Fibre for their work installed in town, that was then opened to domestic users as a side effect...

= I can play on PC via stupidly cheap <£200 laptop that was only purchased to access websites...

I still don't offen because all that above happened years to late... over 3 years to late...

I'll take my comfy couch and big screen tv over a computer desk any day...ED looks pretty damn good on the XBSX too.
That's how I play when not in VR, except I do this using a PC. Where do people get the idea that PCs can't connect to TVs and controllers? If I wanted to, I could make my PC a dedicated "console" using the Steam overlay.

ED looks mighty fine in native 4K 60 fps ultra settings on a big TV :D

how much is that pc?
I got my gaming laptop on sale for $1000. Being a laptop I paid more (I use it everything, not just gaming), but you can hook a desktop to a TV just as easily assuming it has HDMI out. The OP could hook his current PC to a TV if he wanted, assuming he really wants to ditch the office chair forever. Add a wireless keyboard, mouse, and XBox controller (which I'm assuming is his preference posting this in the XBox forum), and he's got ED on TV from his comfortable chair, no XBox purchase required!

Having said all of that, I actually prefer using my PS4 for some games. It seems every PC game installs its own anti-cheat software that slows down everything and makes a mess of the OS, not to mention I don't trust any of this extra crap running in the background (every new service running on a PC is a vector for security breaches). There are other games that require separate software managers on PC, something else I don't want gunking up my PC. So all my Fortnites and Overwatches and Black Desert and similar games remain on PS4. But ED, that's a game I just can't personally play on console anymore having played it on PC - though from what I've seen, ED on XBox is way better than PS4, so there's that.

I play games on both PC and Xbox but my back has gotten so bad I can hardly sit in a chair at desk any longer. Are you happy on Xbox, do you prefer it for ED?

I'm going to give it a start and was curious if there was anything fundamentally different or what things third party wise can you still use on Xbox.

Thanks a bunch

Have you looked into other chairs with better lumbar support, spinal decompression techniques and/or any exercises you might be able to do to strengthen the supporting muscles (if able of course)?

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, if your PC has superior processing technology compared to your Xbox, there's nothing stopping you from connecting it to your living room TV via direct connection or casting, as well as the ability to use your Xbox Controller or wireless peripherals.

Otherwise many have a similarly enjoyable experience on Consoles, so ultimately it's simply down to what's best for you and being able to comfortably enjoy playing the game that's the most important thing. :)

Most of my friends are on Xbox, plus the couch+big screen are pretty great. I'll probably have more fun on PC once more of my guys move over there.

Are you happy on Xbox
Yep, never really been much of a fan of PC gaming...too many variables, too expensive, never been fond of using a mouse and keyboard for games (although it would be nice to have keyboard functionality/hotkeys for ED on Xbox).
what things third party wise can you still use on Xbox.
I use pretty much all of them on a laptop that I have next to me while I play.
Saves the hassle of switching in and out of the game.
But I’m pretty sure most of them are Xbox compatible these days.

As for seating arrangement, I made myself a nice comfy pilots seat using an old armchair, some cushions and two small ratchet straps so I can fix my Hotas to the arms while still being easily removable for maintenance.

Consider myself lucky to have both options available. XBSX on a 55" TV 4k 60, smooth as butter, or on PC at 1440p Ultra also 60, on the TV if needed.

I quit PC gaming back in the PS2 launch days, and I can't say I regret it. Mr D Noize has hit the metaphorical nail on the proverbial head.
Yep, never really been much of a fan of PC gaming...too many variables, too expensive, never been fond of using a mouse and keyboard for games (although it would be nice to have keyboard functionality/hotkeys for ED on Xbox).
Xbox camp for me! 🎮 PC is just a hobby account.

Are you happy on Xbox, do you prefer it for ED?
Greetings,

I prefer playing on console, since I work with my laptop all day and this is a phychological separation (for me). PC for work, plug-n-play console for gaming.
I currently play ED also on the laptop (using a gaming chair for work, thanks to homeoffice rules) but that's only because Odysee is available on PC only.
I hate learning the mouse flight controls (I know I can attach the Hotas One to the Laptop), so far I have not passed even the flight test, but hey, legs.

For the console gaming I use a couch table for playing, from Nerdytec.
Two sturdy cushions to the left and right (one fluffy one in the lower back) and a laptop board across them.
IMG_40.JPGIMG_44.JPG
I used the couchmaster version where I could drill four holes into the wood without remorse, to fasten the Hotas One with 4 M6 screws.
Between them fits my 14" "gaming" laptop I use mainly as a second screen (https://eddb.io, https://inara.cz and forums). One cable, two if you need power for the laptop (which means I (again) played more than 6 hours anyway. Not the first time I wondered why the moon was to bright outside and since when do birds sing in the night?)

Main advantage of the Xbox is the crisp 4k resolution (important on a big screen) while still offering a good frame rate.
And random kids walk in your field of view and ask why your pilot does not walk down the ladder after they watched you dock at Gabriel Station.
IMG_KRAIT.jpg
A PC I would only use for playing if I had a decent VR equipment (which I only have for the playstation, where it is not supported by ED).

I built a HTPC a number of years ago but these days, I don't really want a PC in my living room anymore. I was never really a PC gamer anyway. I love my Xbox too much. :D

You'll find dozens of posts of me defending console gaming if you dig into the forum history, so I totally understand where you are coming from. To this day I strongly disagree with the "consoles are just toys" sentiment some "master race" PC gamers hold onto. Utter rubbish, that. In many ways I think consoles are BETTER platforms for gaming than PCs, though simulation games like ED and MSFS tend to do better on PC due to better peripheral support. And if you want to do serious VR, PC is currently the only option (sorry, but PSVR is a toy IMO).

I will say that Elite in VR is a totally different vibe, although I don’t play that way very often.

One big draw for PC would be the more competitive PvP community. We have some killer pilots on Xbox, some of them even have dual accounts, but the bar is higher overall on PC.

For every one of our very best on Xbox, you have say, 7 PC guys at that level or above, perhaps more.

There are only a few people on Xbox I am completely unable to beat, or put up a real fight against. On the other hand, all but one out ten of my PC fights have been absolutely brutal beatings.

PC is like PvP Valhalla, and if you really want a shot at the best there is, you should make your way there.

You can stream your PC to a raspberry pi and play on an HDTV. I do that now and it works great. I play with an Xbox controller, I sit on my recliner and it's like playing on an Xbox but upgraded. I highly recommend.

For powerplay, BGS and piracy, the greater player presence on PC can make a difference (i.e. we have definitively much more organic PvP there).

Thanks a bunch
My sympathies. If it's that bad you really need to look at a chair that properly supports your back. Best thing I ever did.

Top Bottom