The AI and on-foot combat is actually quite good...

Decided to pour some positive opinion among all the negativity.

So, the AI seems to be rather good. I had many gunfights at settlements, both as intruder and CZ combatant, so I took notice of how AI works.

NPC soldiers will be aggressive when their shield is up, but if it gets lower than certain threshold or depletes, NPC just runs for cover and stays there until shields recharge. They also act according to their weapon - if they are using Manticore Executioner (plasma sniper rifle) they will keep their distance from you, as well as run away if you try to get close. Soldiers with short range guns, correspondingly, try to get in your face. Their grenade throwing skills are pretty on point.

As for their behaviour during non-fight state, there are some nice things too. Civilians in restricted areas will point their gun at you and stay close to you until you leave said restricted area.

Well, all that might not sound like much, but for a company like FDev which never did FPS game before (correct me if i'm wrong), that's actually quite a decent basic FPS fundament they made. Given some time, polishing and love, I believe it will be a lot more fun and engaging than it is now (it already is quite fun).
So yeah, here's a small positive note :3

i mentioned in another thread, the gunplay is quite good. The ai stands in the wide open a little too much for my liking, but overall very good job. I also have a couple fights not in settlements with good FPS and man can't wait until CZ's FPS gets better

The AI is good? Yeah for a lab rat?
The have no actual AI to begin with.
See player, run at player, if shot gun run up to face, if executioner stand far away, if anything else somewhere inbetween.
Every single one just mobs there is no ryme or reason to it.
If shield up dont use cover, if shield down run away.

Their AI is crap.

I dunno I just got pincer flanked and destroyed by 2 NPC's who came up and went both directions around a pillar and when I went to run away from one I ran straight into the other. Color me impressed.This was a settlement raid not CZ so maybe a bit better

Agree, the AI just stands around, uses the wrong weapon per the situation as well. Makes ground CZ's very profitable due to the dumb AI

Decided to pour some positive opinion among all the negativity.

So, the AI seems to be rather good. I had many gunfights at settlements, both as intruder and CZ combatant, so I took notice of how AI works.

NPC soldiers will be aggressive when their shield is up, but if it gets lower than certain threshold or depletes, NPC just runs for cover and stays there until shields recharge. They also act according to their weapon - if they are using Manticore Executioner (plasma sniper rifle) they will keep their distance from you, as well as run away if you try to get close. Soldiers with short range guns, correspondingly, try to get in your face. Their grenade throwing skills are pretty on point.

As for their behaviour during non-fight state, there are some nice things too. Civilians in restricted areas will point their gun at you and stay close to you until you leave said restricted area.

Well, all that might not sound like much, but for a company like FDev which never did FPS game before (correct me if i'm wrong), that's actually quite a decent basic FPS fundament they made. Given some time, polishing and love, I believe it will be a lot more fun and engaging than it is now (it already is quite fun).
So yeah, here's a small positive note :3
Thank you for the positive post. I agree with you. I have been having a blast on the ground CZ's. Made Deadeye rank last night, lovin' it!

KhVV307.png

😂

I wholeheartedly disagree, the fact that you were able to summarise their behaviour in one short paragraph illustrates it perfectly. I've seen some poor combat AI in games over the years and this AI is right up there (or down there, whatever you prefer).

I happen to think the AI is pretty good actually.. i like how they investigate sounds and light etc. maybe others want more but I'm happy with what they are for when I enjoy sneaking around bases etc!

i mentioned in another thread, the gunplay is quite good.
Good as in that they always have aimbot accuracy (just check the guys with Executioners), but have ridiculous spread on automated weapons so they don't kill you in a second flat? Even if they start spraying you at close range most of their shots miss. -.-

Personally I'd say that while the gunplay is a bit lacking in features and clunky in places, it's a solid foundation to work from and improve on.

The AI on the other hand... yeah...

Good as in that they always have aimbot accuracy (just check the guys with Executioners), but have ridiculous spread on automated weapons so they don't kill you in a second flat? Even if they start spraying you at close range most of their shots miss. -.-
This is more to do with AI than gunplay.

That's more a situational awareness thing than good AI. Keep an eye on your radar.
Remember tho, NPCs don't spawn on radar until scanned, apart from the occasional "boop, what was that?" passing second. I took a ROCKET to the back of the head from an NPC last night who I honestly did NOT see coming. (And when I'm going into settlements on mission, first thing I generally do if I'm not already marked as hostile, is to take to the rooftops, scanning as many as I can spot.)

Remember tho, NPCs don't spawn on radar until scanned, apart from the occasional "boop, what was that?" passing second. I took a ROCKET to the back of the head from an NPC last night who I honestly did NOT see coming. (And when I'm going into settlements on mission, first thing I generally do if I'm not already marked as hostile, is to take to the rooftops, scanning as many as I can spot.)
We must have different radars, because I tend to see NPCs on the radar regardless of whether I scanned them or not.

The AI have 2switches : I stay long range and snipe (sniper), I swarm and shoot (everyone else).
They also have omniscient knowledge of the game, and will throw a shield nade as soon as your shield recharge, or a regular one as soon as it's down. With deadly accuracy. Even when you are hiding behind a building and they can't see you.

They will 180 and shoot you if you sneak behind them in a fight. Before you even fire. Something most human are unable to do.

They also have 100% aimbot accuracy, which is counter balanced by extremely low weapon accuracy. Except for sniper rifle, they have 100% accuracy with those, but it's a slow mo projectile. I had a CZ bug and the NPC wouldn't move, and standing 2-3m in front of an AR npc, he would spray all around me, while aiming straight at my face.

In CZ, they have a "go to the objective" objective once they spawned, that will override basic survival/fight stuff. And you can kill them one by one as they run near you. They won't shoot back most of the time. And their teammates will not care one bit.

There is nothing "intelligent" about it. It's quite poor actually.

Investigating noise and light as been part of basic AI for about 20years or so. It's not "wow", it's expected as part of the basic package.

at least they are not the guardian drones AI, move, shoot shoot shoot, stand still while losing 60% hull, and maybe, if they are feeling like it, might throw some missiles at you.
i thought for months that guardian sites would be a challenge(funny how they "created an AI that exterminated them", but their drones are dumb af), i felt more challenged on riding that irregular ground than shooting at these drones, at least they look hella cool.

but they are basically the same, 2 behaviours that you can easily predict, no real challenge there (at least when you are on foot at acceptable frames per second)

Top Bottom