What makes me optimistic about Odyssey and the future of Elite

I can somehow agree. When this mess will be sorted Fdev can further extend on foot gameplay and the new planet tech to create new scenarios that were not possible before, like EVA and atmospheric planets, you name it.
What we got for now is a clear "no" for ship interiors and a "no long term roadmap planned" - so we hope that they will do atmospheric planets, but if that will be done is another thing - it would be easy to say, well we are planning to do that within the next 2-3 years - but they are not saying this - so all we have in regards to that is wishful thinking.

I have to admit that, even if it might sound unexpected, full active ships interiors might be a development effort (even engine wise) as big as Odyssey.
However they might initially limit things to non-players ships and pack it with something else to split the effort... if they'll ever consider players ships interiors worhty

tumblr_pqpbuqdco01r01wvro6_r1_540.gifv

Last edited:
I have to admit that, even if it might sound unexpected, full active ships interiors might be a development effort (even engine wise) as big as Odyssey.
And we saw how that turned out. At this point, I couldn't trust Frontier to hit a piñata in a closet.

If you are going to compare Odyssey to NMS... you should be comparing it to the release of NEXT, Beyond, etc. Not the base game. That makes no sense..... Odyssey is not an entirely new game. If Hello Games sold (or even released for free) garbage quality software like this years after launch people certainly would not be praising them.

The big difference between Hello Games and Frontier is that Hello Games has CHANGED their behavior and quality of their releases since the initial launch and made massive improvements. Frontier has put out sub par and half broken software since the initial launch of ED and that has never changed. (Odyssey is a whole new level of bad though)

If you are going to compare Odyssey to NMS... you should be comparing it to the release of NEXT, Beyond, etc. Not the base game. That makes no sense..... Odyssey is not an entirely new game. If Hello Games sold (or even released for free) garbage quality software like this years after launch people certainly would not be praising them.

The big difference between Hello Games and Frontier is that Hello Games has CHANGED their behavior and quality of their releases since the initial launch and made massive improvements. Frontier has put out sub par and half broken software since the initial launch of ED and that has never changed. (Odyssey is a whole new level of bad though)
I agree. Whats more FD seem to just dig the hole deeper and deeper. With every release the pile of unfixed bugs or non working gameplay just increases.

I was just at the "downloadable products" portion of my frontier account and the links dont work, so they cant even be bothered to police their own web page let alone produce a quality game. So its not just EDO, it seems to be a general attitude/ competence problem.

It seems to me that Frontier either dont care, or arent competent enough, to produce a decent product, so im fairly pessimistic about the future of ED.

If i were a betting man, i would bet on a problematic console launch, and if i were a console player looking down the line six months, i would wait for starfield instead of spending the money on ED for my space game fix.

"Sub par and half broken"

Just isn't true. No one else has a galaxy even half comparable to the one in Elite.

NMS has, from what I'm told, better planets for seeing flora and fauna, and base building. Thats cool but comes absent a flight model.

They are barely in the same genre. Can players have any effect on NMS ecconomy or background simulation?

Are there any starsystems with more than 7 planets and moons?

Can more than 1 player team up to achieve a goal?

Oddesy doesn't gave fauna, and it has limited flora. And a hell of a lot more realistic rendering engine with vastly more polygons if the NMS screenshots I've seen are accurate.

NMS came out at AAA pricing and never went on sale, at least not that I saw. For $20 I'd be willing to give it a whirl.

Comparing the two games at all is apples and oranges, comparing the dev teams is hilariously hyperbolic.

Fdev just had a stream where they walked us through what they could of the problems and confirmed the progress being made, so it seems to me like some folks here just want to complain and reassure each other how terrible everything is.

Me I'm playing daily, with better fps and fewer bugs every week.

NMS came out at AAA pricing and never went on sale, at least not that I saw. For $20 I'd be willing to give it a whirl.
I bought NMS a few days ago at Humble for 30$. A better deal than the money i spent on odyssey. Give it a go, its a good game and its refreshing to play a game with decent graphics, performance and stability. Certainly worth 30 bucks.

"Sub par and half broken"

Just isn't true. No one else has a galaxy even half comparable to the one in Elite.

NMS has, from what I'm told, better planets for seeing flora and fauna, and base building. Thats cool but comes absent a flight model.

They are barely in the same genre. Can players have any effect on NMS ecconomy or background simulation?

Are there any starsystems with more than 7 planets and moons?

Can more than 1 player team up to achieve a goal?

Oddesy doesn't gave fauna, and it has limited flora. And a hell of a lot more realistic rendering engine with vastly more polygons if the NMS screenshots I've seen are accurate.

Comparing the two games at all is apples and oranges, comparing the dev teams is hilariously hyperbolic.

Fdev just had a stream where they walked us through what they could of the problems and confirmed the progress being made, so it seems to me like some folks here just want to complain and reassure each other how terrible everything is.

Me I'm playing daily, with better fps and fewer bugs every week.
I'm glad you like the game - and I would agree that the galaxy generation in ED is quite impressive (It's my favorite part of the game tbh).

I also think it's fair to point out (as you do) that NMS and ED do have some key differences and each game does things that the other doesn't. They are always going to get compared at some level though - since both deal with exploring procedurally generated galaxy(ies) and are both somewhat complex games (although each game has complexity in quite different places)

I think it's fair to compare the dev teams though. Hello Games puts out significantly higher quality software releases than Frontier - I don't think that's debatable. Their software is far less buggy, more performant and they definitely have less broken features in their game. Now, this doesn't mean their game is better, just that it's more polished. Obviously "sub par and half broken" is a subjective judgement from me.... but I really don't think it's that hyperbolic. There are numerous features in ED (even in EDH) that are barely 1.0 quality, half broken, etc.... and I definitely would consider their typical release quality (based on polish, bugs, etc) to be below average (or sub par) compared to the average game I play.

Now, it's still of course totally fine to prefer ED - and whether a game is FUN is definitely subjective to each person and it's certainly possible for a less polished game to be more fun to someone than a polished game (Kerbal space program being a famous example for me - I consider it one of the best games ever made despite the unity performance issues, need for mods to fix some jankiness, etc - granted KSP is fairly polished now... but I think it's been out for almost 10 years or something!)

I'm glad you like the game - and I would agree that the galaxy generation in ED is quite impressive (It's my favorite part of the game tbh).

I also think it's fair to point out (as you do) that NMS and ED do have some key differences and each game does things that the other doesn't. They are always going to get compared at some level though - since both deal with exploring procedurally generated galaxy(ies) and are both somewhat complex games (although each game has complexity in quite different places)

I think it's fair to compare the dev teams though. Hello Games puts out significantly higher quality software releases than Frontier - I don't think that's debatable. Their software is far less buggy, more performant and they definitely have less broken features in their game. Now, this doesn't mean their game is better, just that it's more polished. Obviously "sub par and half broken" is a subjective judgement from me.... but I really don't think it's that hyperbolic. There are numerous features in ED (even in EDH) that are barely 1.0 quality, half broken, etc.... and I definitely would consider their typical release quality (based on polish, bugs, etc) to be below average (or sub par) compared to the average game I play.

Now, it's still of course totally fine to prefer ED - and whether a game is FUN is definitely subjective to each person and it's certainly possible for a less polished game to be more fun to someone than a polished game (Kerbal space program being a famous example for me - I consider it one of the best games ever made despite the unity performance issues, need for mods to fix some jankiness, etc - granted KSP is fairly polished now... but I think it's been out for almost 10 years or something!)

Its a value judgment but one that doesn't seem to be backed by data and doesn't match my experience.

I will admit there are the occasional bugs, but nothing has been broken. Save a couple nights, weeks ago, where the transaction server ate it.

Simple fact is that no PC game is free of bugs, not if it's also complex.

Maybe me, and everyone I know who plays, are all fantastically lucky but that seems unlikely.

I have a mid range box and I can play and I'm constantly finding new, nuanced details to the game.

That stuff has to be coded in and I don't see Fdev devs getting credit for it. As an example I stopped my SRV on a rock last night.

The front right tire was up, on the surface of the rock, off the plane from the other 5 tires.

Thats not easy and its an attention to detail, from interaction wirh a procedural element, that is replicated all over the place.

I bought NMS a few days ago at Humble for 30$. A better deal than the money i spent on odyssey. Give it a go, its a good game and its refreshing to play a game with decent graphics, performance and stability. Certainly worth 30 bucks.

I get all that with Odyssey. My last funsies purchase was Subnautica Below Zero, loved it. I may give NMS a go one of these days. I think I need another Hard drive first, don't want to Uninstall anything to make room for another space game.

Its a value judgment but one that doesn't seem to be backed by data and doesn't match my experience.

I will admit there are the occasional bugs, but nothing has been broken. Save a couple nights, weeks ago, where the transaction server ate it.

Simple fact is that no PC game is free of bugs, not if it's also complex.

Maybe me, and everyone I know who plays, are all fantastically lucky but that seems unlikely.

I have a mid range box and I can play and I'm constantly finding new, nuanced details to the game.

That stuff has to be coded in and I don't see Fdev devs getting credit for it. As an example I stopped my SRV on a rock last night.

The front right tire was up, on the surface of the rock, off the plane from the other 5 tires.

Thats not easy and its an attention to detail, from interaction wirh a procedural element, that is replicated all over the place.=

LOL - you think that's "attention to detail"? Not only is it not difficult - it's a basic feature included in dozens (if not hundreds) of other games that use 3D engines with uneven terrain going back at least 20 years (I might even be able to come up with some examples from the 90s if I gave it some thought).

It's just an individual sprung wheel. Like every driving game does that.

Come back after 10,000+ hours playtime and then tell me how much you still like it. Every game has its early honeymoon moments, literally every game that survives more than a few weeks on the market. So far no game has made it to 11,000 hours with me. The best other games made to 1000 to 2000 hours at best. Just saying.
There are too many good games out there to waste that amount of time on a single game though - you see, I love tha avatar movie and have watched it at least a dozen times, but i wouldn't go that far as to watch it a hundred times, because there are plenty of other good movies out there and i would miss out of that experience. And so it is with gaming as well - i'm playing EVE since 2008, but not all the time and certainly not such an insane amount of time - by the exact same reason, there are too many good games out there.

LOL - you think that's "attention to detail"? Not only is it not difficult - it's a basic feature included in dozens (if not hundreds) of other games that use 3D engines with uneven terrain going back at least 20 years (I might even be able to come up with some examples from the 90s if I gave it some thought).

It's just an individual sprung wheel. Like every driving game does that.

Does it on terrain generated procedurally, accurately, on a galaxy of 400 billion star systems.

Dude bump and jump had moving wheels, the trick is in trying it to procedural generation.

its like you are leaning into your bias.

Hurr its easy on a racing game with hand built tracks from the 90's so urrrr must be simple in a procedurally galaxy.

I get all that with Odyssey. My last funsies purchase was Subnautica Below Zero, loved it. I may give NMS a go one of these days. I think I need another Hard drive first, don't want to Uninstall anything to make room for another space game.
You did? Well good for you :) I guess all those other people dont know what they are talking about. I guess Dave apologized for nothing.
EDIT: I couldnt perchance interest you in an optimized code branch that will run fine on Daves toaster could I?

Last edited:
Does it on terrain generated procedurally, accurately, on a galaxy of 400 billion star systems.

Dude bump and jump had moving wheels, the trick is in trying it to procedural generation.

its like you are leaning into your bias.

Hurr its easy on a racing game with hand built tracks from the 90's so urrrr must be simple in a procedurally galaxy.

This has nothing to do with bias..... I mean this stuff isn't magic. Do you think procedurally generated terrain is new or something? It's been around since at least the 90s and terrain generation is built into every major 3d engine I can think of.

Have you seriously never played another 3d game with procedurally generated levels/environments/etc?

Actually generating the planets themselves and terrain isn't very difficult - getting them to be somewhat realistic is more of the trick (and as I said - that part of ED is the most impressive part IMO)... but that's another topic.

Last edited:
I think rage, disappointment and embarrassment at being taken for a sucker and swindled by a large corporation are approprate too.
Rage is a bit extreme. No one lost a leg or a home over it. The other 2 are acceptable i guess. The only people who should be feeling much rage are those who lost millions when frontier stock tanked, but then again anyone who isn't somewhat diversified made a mistake.

Come back after 10,000+ hours playtime and then tell me how much you still like it. Every game has its early honeymoon moments, literally every game that survives more than a few weeks on the market. So far no game has made it to 11,000 hours with me. The best other games made to 1000 to 2000 hours at best. Just saying.
The most hours I have in a game is Warframe, at 1100 hours. But No Mans Sky came in at third with 350 hours in it. Elite is only just behind it at 300.

I absolutely believe there's enough gameplay in NMS to dump tons of hours into it like ED.

Top Bottom