Props to Arthur and *Today's* Supercruise

Can you do Combat Zones without shooting? Can hardly imagine that, however, you have now made me curious. I never did much of the on foot play yet (I'm out in the dark, but not quite under a stone) and all I know that it's basically one NPC team vs another NPC team, similar to the space CZs where you have to support your team in one way or the other - and if only by binding enemy forces which in principle doesn't necessarily require shooting.
No you can't do combat zones without shooting, but nobody is forcing you to do combat zones. Just like nobody is forcing you to do combat zones in space.

CZs are just one of many things you can do in Odyssey, just like CZs are just one of many things you can do in the base game.

It's all about choice.

Can we agree that they delivered on:

1623322967733.png

I think they delivered.

I think they delivered.
They did. Personally, I'd like for it to have been heavier on "performance fixes", because I can't wait to throw money at them so I can join the fun, yes, I'm serious, but I also realize that that might be a pretty big job and it would be silly, in my opinion, for them to not do anything else in the meantime.

I still have the same fun in Horizons today that I had a month ago and, honestly, I'm not all that fussed about having to wait a few extra months to have fun in Odyssey as well.

Other than my usual impatience. I'm not good at waiting and the envy factor here is real.

Keep at it FD coders. I'm sure you're working like crazy right now and it'll be done when it's done. I can wait. Just git 'er done :)

Your point is invalid because those games are not trying to be something they are not. Elite is a great space sim with a wonderful galaxy and a great flight model, but it sucks as an FPS game. Did I want to ED to turn into an FPS game ? No. Just like I don't want MSFS to suddenly announce they are going to add space combat!
But it doesn't stop you from comparing Elite Dangerous, galaxy simulator, to an FPS only game. Don't you see it?

But it doesn't stop you from comparing Elite Dangerous, galaxy simulator, to an FPS only game. Don't you see it?
Apparently you don't see the problem with Fdev tacking on another game genre that they have no experience with and delivering a poor substandard experience but charging the price of a full game for it.

Don't try and claim that the Odyssey is more than just the shooting - because frankly the shooting bit is actually the only bit of Odyssey that actually works - new graphics are a broken mess, new planet tech is hit-n-miss and not working as intended, ground missions can be fun if you don't get completely overrun by NPC's ( I think I had 14 NPC's hunting me down in one base - on a Threat 0 power on mission! ) Exobiology was an after thought with zero actual game play. Taxi's ( zero game play ) - grinding for suit and weopon upgrades and grinding for new on foot engineers to upgrade more the suits and weapons - take away the guns and shooting an what's left ?

FDev ignored what people asked for and instead decided to try and add a single round, single mode, singly boring and dull FPS on foot conflict zone thing instead - it's bad, it's unimaginative. 2-5 mins of sitting doing nothing in a drop ship, by yourself! then a basic capture-n-hold FPS game until you win or lose then it's back to the taxi for a 2-5mins ride back to a station before you can even think about doing it again - It took me about 3 rounds ( on separate days ) to decide it's was more tedious than fun. ( even if the frame rates were half decent, which they are not, it's still dull and uneventful ).

I just did what you did and you told me it was an invalid comparison, though I guess the implication of that is lost on you. Any more words is just superfluous at this point.
I'm not sure why but you missed my point completely - twice.
I'm complain about a game trying to be something it's wasn't designed to be - and being bad at it.
You listed a bunch of games that are sticking to what they were designed for - how is that the same ?
By that measure, how does Titanfall 2's flight handling/physics stack up to Elite? How does Microsoft's Flight Simulator's space combat stack up to Elite? How does Battlefield's galaxy simulation and number of visitable stars stack up to Elite? Very badly, so those games must be crap then, right? :rolleyes:
Are you saying that Microsoft's Flight Simulator's does space combat now ? I must have missed that update - if they did and it sucked I'd be on their forums complaining about that too.

ED is great at many things - Providing FPS game play is not one of them, but that is the primary focus of Odyssey - which they are charging full price for.
You can argue that you really like the bland repetitive game play of shoot glowing blue NPC around a bunch of samey settlements - good for you. You can argue that feel you got your money's worth. You can argue that this is exactly what you wanted Odyssey to be.

And I can argue that if you release a full priced DLC that's primary focus is on shooting NPC's then you had better be prepared to be compared ( in the shooting bits ) to other titles that focus on running around shooting NPC's.

Just skimmed though the livestream.

• Direct answers to questions is much appreciated.
  • Firm confirmation via the lave radio episode that the focus will be getting what's here ready for consoles, makes sense, a little disappointing, but given odysee that we're running is in such a tough place, you couldn't ask for anything else.

The problem that punches you in the gut is they're trying to claim naivety as the reason they launched it. Immediately: they're still lieing, or at best spinning even when they claim over and over again to tell the truth. If they can lie and get away with it, they probably will. But sadly for this issue, we have direct evidence to the contrary.. the alpha. If they didn't see that coming.. every single critical issue that frontier have chosen to acknowledge.. sadly that does mean they're... I don't believe that they didn't know at all, but because i want to believe the direct developers are competent in the scope of their own desks.

We know for a fact how it was. Frontier know for a fact what went into the "trunk". For leads and managers glueing those two together is as mandatory as swiping a security pass to get in the door (if they have one). Completely lieing to our faces while claiming not to lie, sorry.

Top Bottom