CM Communication

It's great to have active CM who answer a lot of our questions or react to the posts we make.

But please keep in mind it's one of them and hundreds of us.

This intensified communication is new for us and it's understandable that if we see an active CM, there is a tendency to write our question or info into that thread, hoping it will be read by the CM. But this new open communication approach does not mean the CM will sit in a "one for all" thread and react to all our post, but (at least I hope so) will read and react to different threads across the whole forum.

Also it's planned to be continuous communication, therefore there is no need to bombard them with all our questions at this one day.

I'm writing this because I see what is currently happening in the patchnotes 3 thread, there are many posts which are not really related to the patch and many posts directed to Sally, and she is replying to many of them. It's a big effort and I don't think the CM will be able to upkeep this reply frequency over a long time, so let's not burn them out to have them replying and reacting to our threads for the next years.

Maybe you should differentiate between pre and post odyssey communication.

It was bad in the past but it's an illusion to think they will answer all past question within a short time

Maybe you should differentiate between pre and post odyssey communication.

It was bad in the past but it's an illusion to think they will answer all past question within a short time
Each week I'd politely ask, I stopped asking when other things were on. The issues don't change though.

The last actual 'good' communication was the flash topics, where actual devs asked actual questions. What we have now is really a waste of time chasing problems that could have been averted by asking the forum before making it. Even things that are listed as 'fixed' are still broken (like pledge indicators)- how hard is it to launch the game and check?

I yet have to watch that stream. Supposedly it's the first one since years, which contains actual information, instead of weak gameplay. So when i find time, i will for sure check it out.

It would be so great if FDs promise for better communication would mean more than "we now try to do good for a few weeks". But based on what they did in the past, it's what most of us expect. I mean, it's not something they do from the good of their heart or for they think it's the right thing to do. Now, while in emerency-mode, the finally start to actually communicate.

But we also saw that in the past: Odyssey is not the first time that biowaste has hit the fan, it merely did so on a larger scale than before. And also in the past messups, communication did somewhat improve for a short while. But it also quickly returned to the default mode of limited preparation and low effort, giving us merely some people who seem to only play ED during the livestream (or, of course, very convicingly fake being extremely inexperienced players), while not providing any information at all.

Thus it's quite to be expected: given that players know that, with some luck, we might now have more than just two weeks of actually being given information, they now bring forward not only all the questions which were ignored over several years, but also anything else they might want information on.

The last gameplay was very Useful it was a live proof of team and multicrew running without issues. It encouraged players to try to configure better their routers and firewalls to obtain their goal to enjoy a coop session. Thanks Zac.
Don't talk him up, he'll start developing self-respect and pride and stuff.

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
The last gameplay was very welcome it was a live proof of team and multicrew running without issues. It encouraged players to try to configure better their routers and firewalls to obtain their goal to enjoy a coop session. Thanks Zac.

Matchmaking should have improved in today's patch - but real talk, I'm not doing anything special. We've also had issues with it since launch. It did work well on Tuesday as the team are constantly working to improve it. I haven't changed my port forwarding or anything like that, just a plain ol' internet connection.

Sorry if that hurts. But it's not even meant in an evil way. You are community managers. You don't have to be top end players. If i want to watch somebody fly on a level which i can't ever compete with, i go to the videos of Morbad or some other people he regularily flies with.

I mean, I admit i have not watched the streams since a while. The last one i actually watched, somebody went out of the station, wanted to go to supercruise. He did not manage to, and it took him like over a minute to figure out to retract the landing gear. What enjoyment would i get out of watching somebody play, who's struggling with so basic things? (It's kind of interesting to sometimes watch an actual beginner out there. To get a feeling on where new players struggle by now, as each of us mostly remembers the things he struggled with then he was new, on the state of the game at that time. But an FD employee showing off the game should not be on that level. )

And even more honestly: if you as CM would be as well trained in flying spaceships, as some people here are, then you probably would spend too much time on the game, ignoring other aspects of your job. (As said, the ones i would actually once like to see on your stream are your playtesters. )

I still haven't managed to watch the stream, but i sure will do so later. If it's as information heavy as people say, it's an very welcome improvement. And i really hope that you can keep it up. That would really be awesome. (So really: prove me wrong, when i think that it'll only be good for a limited time. It's how it was in the past, but it does not have to be like that again. :) )

Last edited:
Matchmaking should have improved in today's patch - but real talk, I'm not doing anything special. We've also had issues with it since launch. It did work well on Tuesday as the team are constantly working to improve it. I haven't changed my port forwarding or anything like that, just a plain ol' internet connection.
But u have your connection bridged probably, I'm behind router, and my partner too in the same lan. It needs some tweaks on our side to redirect the network traffic probably.

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
The question is what he wrote there I'd say: How approachable/unapproachable is the lead designer for you CMs if/when you want to forward a question or issue from the community to them :)

Very - we're also starting a new initiative which we've briefly mentioned that will bring the lead developers to streams more often with regular updates and answers to community questions. Just give us a little bit of time to get that locked in.

Top Bottom