Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 3

Is there a chance you have the "Engineer Modification Slots" on the right hand side highlighted? If so, try to keep pushing down until none of those are highlighted. Then try to purchase the suit or weapon.
I was pretty sure they weren't highlighted, but just went into the game to check, and I can confirm this is not the solution, unfortunately 🙁

anybody else having issues with an x52? stick and throttle is recognized, but all buttons assigned to keys in the x52 software are no longer recognized in elite...
that is kind of unplayable...
I have mapped the buttons directly in the settings so I can't really help you with your case, but X52 in general works.

@sallymorganmoore

First of all, big thank you to you and the whole CM team for your responsiveness! It's much appreciated.

I wanted to point out a long-standing issue that predates Odyssey. I've watched this one languish on the issue tracker since version 3.3.

Currently, smuggling and black markets are broken. There are seemingly two flags that are looked at when selling commodities on a black market. The first is whether the good was stolen or not. If it was, the black market will slap a -25% price reduction on it. The logic being that stolen goods are more dangerous to sell.

However, this same price reduction is also being applied to goods that aren't stolen. The result of which is drastically reduced profits when trying to smuggle, and in many cases, you'll actually lose credits.

Combine this with the fact that smuggling was not rebalanced when all the other professions were and it's quite clear that smuggling is dead right now. It's only use is for BGS manipulation currently.

One previous report on the issue tracker has expired and another is marked "Fixed". Unfortunately, it isn't fixed. Here's a link to the current issue on the tracker: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/12357

I know this isn't a super high priority with everything going on, but it would be nice to see some acknowledgment of the problem.

Thanks!

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/31446 a bug that literally prevents players from playing the game, I have not been able to play Elite for a solid 2 weeks now just because I docked in the Sharur system before logging out. I'm not the only one dealing with this bug. Please help us on this issue ASAP as we haven't heard a word from you guys about acknowledging this issues that started appearing LAST MONTH. Thanks.

Heyy, thanks for nudging this along. We've found a lead on this actually! Took a little while but thanks to the reports we're getting there. In the meantime if you contact support they can get you relocated so you're at least back in game? Head here https://customersupport.frontier.co.uk/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000790520 and choose 'Problems logging in' as the issue type. You can link the issue too so they know. Best!

There is still junk on the planets more than 300ly out of the bubble, it does not belong there, why is this not fixed?
Very dissapointing.(n)

20210610152009_1.jpg

There is still junk on the planets more than 300ly out of the bubble, it does not belong there, why is this not fixed?
Very dissapointing.(n)

View attachment 238719

There have always been human surface POIs out to about 500-1000ly from the bubble. Likely intentional.

In Horizons its worse, because you literally bump into it while driving a few kilometres in any random corner of a planet, implying the planets are absolutely covered in junk.

Odyssey is a step up because at least it's something you have to actually detect from afar and home in on.

Last edited:
I have about 700 hours on record with Horizons (double Elite status, close to tripple Elite) and I am just very sad that Odyssey so far (incl. today's update) is unplayable for me.
Reasons:
  • I can not play fullscreen, any time I go fullscreen mode the game crashes (10 sec in release version and all updates till today, today it crashed after 10 minutes, I actually did manage to shoot down one NPC ship in a random encounter but soon after that it crashed). Each time I send a crash report but I have given up hope that it changes anything.
  • I want to run the game in 4k which I did for the entire time of Horizons and it was smooth and looked fantastic. I had all settings to high or ultra and it was wonderful
  • Now I can't run even the "mid" preset with low shadows and no anti-aliasing, I get (if the program does not crash) a maximum of 26 FPS (in space and on foot) and it is laggy as hell, absolutely zero fun to play.
  • I ran it a bit in windowed mode with a smaller size window and it was "ok", FPS around 30-40, but I don't enjoy one bit of that small window on my large screen.
  • The colouring is way off. Too dark, gamma settings don't help at all.

My specs:
  • I7 6700K overclocked watercooled
  • 2 x GTX1080 founders edition (12 GB VRAM each) in SLI configuration (overclocked, watercooled)
  • 32 GB RAM
  • Samsung NVMe SSD 950
  • Win 10, latest NVIDIA drivers

This is a (for the time from 2016 where I treated myself to this crazy overpowered setup) very nice gaming platform still today. It exceeds the minimum and even recommended specs by a lot and it is capable of running modern titles very nicely. I play "Assetto Corsa Competizione" a lot (in 4K, decent details, no problems at all), "Shadow of War" in full detail max view range, max gfx config (comparison as an FPS game) and Arma3 with about 6 GB of mods installed (comparison for a complex 3D game with tons of mods).
All of those titles and many more (BF 1, Doom Eternal just to name other FPS games) I can play with 100% stability and enjoyment in 4K. So I consider my system not at fault for those crashes and problems I experience with Elite at this point in time. I think the game engine is very poorly optimized at this stage.

The reason I am writing this posting is just to let you know I love the game and I want to believe in it. I want to enjoy it again. But for now I will not be playing anymore.

Sad greetings from Germany

There are a couple of posts floating around in this thread about SLI problems. Might want to find those posts and comment/vote on the issue on the tracker in it, and try running it with 1 graphics card to see if that improves the situation.

thanks for the update, now im at 15 fps inside stations! yay!
there is any schedule on when the beta testing ends so i can try this out on at least 30fps+? =D

Today at approximately 07:30 UTC / 08:30 BST, we released 'Update 3' to address a number of issues in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

Optimisation

• An issue has been fixed whereby the bounding sphere used for culling was not central to the object.
I was very much hoping that this fix would also fix a culling issue in space, which can best be recognized in planetary rings. Asteroids are popping in and out of existance depending on where you are looking.

Here is a more detailed description and screenshots showing this issue in the tracker: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/38193

sallymorganmoore

Hello everyone here!

For the sake of being massively open with you after today's EPIC SESSION here with you all (Thank you! It truly has been amazing), I now need to finish up for the day because food, sleep and a VERY much needed shower all have my name on them.

Once again, thank you MILLIONS for your engagement today. Me stepping away now does not mean this level of attention ends here.
This will continue with each CM allocated to a day of the week moving forward, whereby they will be as close to 100% glued to forum conversation as possible, as part of our new communications plan that Zac outlined a little in Supercruise news earlier this week.

I'll check back in here in a more "regular" fashion of course throughout the week, as I dedicate my time back to my other major duties, until this happens all over again next Thursday.

Stay amazing!
I'll catch you all regardless!

Sally o7

That's right! It'll be one of the guys tomorrow. I'll be back next Thursday (lol! Like a TV show).
So today is a bit "special" because it's patch day, so I would naturally be very focused here - it turned out to be veryyyy busy so I've stayed here for now. The guys will look broader places and you'll notice them just generally chipping in on things drawing their attention :) Hope this helps!
Sally, it might be quite nice if you invented some form of jeopardy for your self at then of each stint, so that we could have a TV serial style cliffhanger, and have next week's resolution to look forward to. Bad idea? :)

#PreviouslyOnSally'sStint.......

sallymorganmoore

Planets and moons keeps popping up (graphics, resolution, textures and things) as you approach them.
This is TERRIBLE UGLY and ridiculous.
Let's see if Frontier fix this basic thing next update.

I can 100% assure you, Commander, that nothing about the development of Elite Dangerous is ever basic. What I can totally assure you is with all of this incredible feedback and awesome conversation we're having, we will move forward with the improvements you deserve. Seriously. Thanks so much for the time and patience o7

Top Bottom