Anyone notice an FPS increase after the update?

I wouldn't fixate too much on specific GPU models. Frontier has specifically said they're seeing people get wildly different performance on similar hardware setups. That's why they set up an email bucket specifically for reporting system configuration and performance details, so they can work out what are the important variables.
I ask because I've seen more than once people come and claim they have decent FPS, while they have 30 fps total. Which is enough for them.
Not trolling, genuine curiosity.

I ask because I've seen more than once people come and claim they have decent FPS, while they have 30 fps total. Which is enough for them.
There are a lot of people who had potato PCs even during the Horizons era and couldn't get 60fps, so for them, getting a steady 20-30fps is considered "great smooth performance." Anyone who bought a GPU that is less than 5 years old however have a much higher standard for framerate expectations.

On the other hand, i DO wonder why people who have cards like an RTX 3080 say that performance is "great" now that they can get 50fps at 1080p. Like...you probably spent $1200 on that GPU, you should be expecting a lot more than 50fps from a 6 year old game.

Ok thanks all. Looks like mixed to negative so maybe ill just wait for the next patch.
I wouldn't expect to see any increases with performance in the next 2 updates either. They are not placing much focus on performance until after patch 5, when they'll prepare for console launch.

I wouldn't expect to see any increases with performance in the next 2 updates either. They are not placing much focus on performance until after patch 5, when they'll prepare for console launch.
Mhmm I would recommend the same. If it's smooth and consistent performance you want, your best bet is to put EDO down until probably 1-2 months AFTER the console version releases.

Just...pretend in your mind that EDO never released on PC and will launch alongside consoles.

To be honest I'm using a 2080ti, mine is running worse since update.

I logged in, looking at slot on the way out of station it shuddered to hell.

There are asteroids outside maybe that was part of it.

I flew through asteroids some appeared and disappeared, I flew in open space and bumped into one which I couldn't see.

Rubbish
Quick question for the lucky people with this kind of h/w in this time of shortage.
If you : 1) go to an on foot CZ 2) set your resolution to 1080p 3) set settings to high.

What kind of FPS are you looking at?

i see fps is all over the place when nvidias fps counter is not showing n/a ...
i recently unlocked the gfx settings in game that i had set to 120hz and fps to now match my monitor at 240hz with the games gfx settings to 300fps

i see:
~ 100~240 fps in spcae
~ 60~180 fps in stations (docking stages)
~ 60~100 fps concourses
~ 50~180 fps on foot at different bases w/fire or not

Asus Z390-Pro Gaming
Alienware 2521HF Monitor @240hz Using Display Port (1920x1080)
i9 9900k Variable Clock Speed 3.60GHz to 5.00GHz
Water Cooled By Corsair Radiator And Dual Fans
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060
RipJaws DDR4 3600 SDRAM 128GB
SSD Drives
gsync and vsync on ... default gfx settings and in game gfx settings all at high

Last edited:
Haven't seen a massive FPS change, but in the concourse I was in, I was seeing random freezes (2-3 seconds) when moving about that I hadn't seen previously. Will check to see if it persists...

As much as I'm not fond if vague assertions, I immediately noticed a decrease in FPS on my RTX2080 but it's really difficult to be scientific about it, so my words are not worth much.

I run an AMD Radeon 5600 XT and had to switch to1080p for Odyssey because of dismal FPS. In horizons, I was running 2k. This has been detrimental on my aspect ratio and some of the HUD spills off the screen now..

Another thing to consider with performance.

Ignore computer specs because that has nothing to do with it.

Compare Odyssey to other games.

1. Environments are very bland. It's space.
2. Other than in the concourse and stations there is a single light source (the star)
3. Animations are very very poor

Flying should get even better. Space is a dark place.

There literally is no reason why this thing should be running so poorly. Space a single light source.

Getting 45-50 on planets with Ultra settings and a 2070.

Just a question here also, who here has "prepare shaders at startup" on all the time? Many people turn that option off, I get very few issues with textures, just the odd occasional glitch and wonder if that will make any difference for some players.

Getting 45-50 on planets with Ultra settings and a 2070.

Just a question here also, who here has "prepare shaders at startup" on all the time? Many people turn that option off, I get very few issues with textures, just the odd occasional glitch and wonder if that will make any difference for some players.

i always have that option on and it only runs for a second or two ...

when a new gfx driver is installed then it will run for a good minute or so

And no - no improvements in FPS. Indeed, like others, the framerate in stations got worse, while the framerate in conflict zones is still unforgiveable garbage.

I seemed to have gotten an improvement in most places. Not thoroughly tested, but the worst running settlements for me were the big mining complexes with all the laser drills. and now they run pretty much at 60FPS even though I've bumped up the supersampling (From 0.75 to 0.85) and everything but Shadows/AO to High.

I'm gonna test CZ's tonight. CZ's ran at 60FPS most of the time, but would have intermittent frametime anomalies every minute or so, which I believe to be tied to AI and thus bound on the CPU. So I don't anticipate any kind of graphics-related optimization improving them except insofar as some minor drawcall efficiency freeing up the CPU a bit more.

I will test in an hour or so. I just learned that to unlock Herra Ferrari or whatever, you need to do 10 LOW THREAT conflict zones... I have done probably 100 High/medium lol and 2 Low threat (They're just so boring)

My friend is like this. When I was running the minecraft server, once we started going crazy on Redstone stuff, my FPS tanked, I asked him how his were "Oh they're perfect" I told him to tell me the little FPS number in the debug screen.

My friend is like this. When I was running the minecraft server, once we started going crazy on Redstone stuff, my FPS tanked, I asked him how his were "Oh they're perfect" I told him to tell me the little FPS number in the debug screen.

I always check rather than assume, in some places slow framerates can seem smooth if there isn't a lot of detail around. Sometimes also I have noticed eveyrthing goes jerky for a while which could be low FSP and when I check I still have 50fps, so I think they are network issues rather than FPS issues.

Top Bottom