So I have a theory...

Every time a system gets discovered, it gets procedurally generated.
This means nothing within it existed until a commander enters and discovers it for the first time. Once generated it stays that way for everyone else that comes by.
My theory is with the new planetary tech.
Since almost every system within the Bubble has been generated the new tech was forced to remaster them with some disappointing results.
Out here in the Black every newly discovered system has some fascinating surfaces and far more ringed planets. Perhaps this is a results of letting the new tech start from scratch and doing it's thing as opposed to "rethinking" an existing surface and that's what is causing the issue...?
Just a theory.

Interesting theory.

To take this further...one might think, well, the fix is to reset the bubble and have it regenerate as someone visits. BUT...this probably doesn't work in the bubble because of all the established surface stations. Planet regeneration might not include re-positioning surface stations and settlements.

I'm curious, are the same planet issues being seen in Colonia?

Sorry, no. This is not, how procedural generation works.

All landscapes, all colors, all plants and technological structures - everything is based on calculations that are based on RNG. (Oftentimes pre-made assets are part of this, sometimes it is completely algorithm based.)
These random numbers are based on something that is known as “the seed”. They are always the same and the results of calculations based on them don't change, as long as the seed isn’t changed.
Therefore, the observation that all players are seeing the same planets is based on the fact, that they all are witnessing the results of the same formulas based on the same RNG based on the same seed.

Visited planets are not generated and then stored somewhere; the storage requirements would explode!
The tree makes a noise when falling, even if nobody listens.
The world does exist, despite no god is looking at it.
And all the planets are already “there”, even if nobody visited them - because the algorithms defining them was coded a long time ago.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's because people out in the the black are more inclined to visit a greater of number of planets and therefore find more varied results?

If it's even a thing in the first place.

Last edited:
Well if what you say is true - and "all landscape, all colors, all plants and technological structures - everything is based on calculations that are based on RNG" then why did the planet colors change as it has been well documented? When I visited Dav's Hope there was a huge cliff face near by - gone. Jameson's crash site - flattened out.
What I'm referring to is the texturing of the topography - not the "seed".

Perhaps it's because people out in the the black are more inclined to visit a greater of number of planets and therefore find more varied results?

This came to me as I was entering systems that had been visited already and comparing them to newly entered ones. The first thing I noticed was the amount of landable bodies with far more on newly discovered systems. Then I began to notice topography and there were differences there as well.

Well if what you say is true - and "all landscape, all colors, all plants and technological structures - everything is based on calculations that are based on RNG" then why did the planet colors change as it has been well documented? When I visited Dav's Hope there was a huge cliff face near by - gone. Jameson's crash site - flattened out.
What I'm referring to is the texturing of the topography - not the "seed".
Because they changed the calculations themselves. They still take the same seed as basis, but they do interpet it differently.
My main point was anyway: visited planets are not generated and stored when first visited. (This is, what you’ve suggested in your theory.)
They do “exist” already, because they are generated by a formula. They look the same, as long as the formula isn’t changes - but changing the formula will affect ALL planets, not only the newly visited.

Sorry, no. This is not, how procedural generation works.

All landscape, all colors, all plants and technological structures - everything is based on calculations that are based on RNG. (Oftentimes pre-made assets are part of this, sometimes it is completely algorithm based.)
This random number (known as “the seed”) is always the same and the results don't change, as long as the seed isn’t changed.
Therefore, the observation that all players are seeing the same planets is based on the fact, that they all are witnessing the results of the same formulas based on the same RNG based on the same seed.

Visited planets are not generated and then stored somewhere; the storage requirements would explode!
The tree makes a noise when falling, even if nobody listens.
The world does exist, despite no god is looking at it.
And all the planets are already “there”, even if nobody visited them - because the algorithms defining them was coded a long time ago.
This is a lie.
The great machine god is always listening and watching.
The Stellar Forge - Creator of Worlds.

Out here in the Black every newly discovered system has some fascinating surfaces and far more ringed planets.
So you're saying the new planet tech works "as intended" for all newly discovered systems? Do they really look like in the trailors?

Sounds like an interesting hypothesis.. but then again, how could they miss it is broken for already discovered systems?

I wonder if expectations are different out in the black. In the bubble we all have our favourite spots, many of which we’ve discovered because of other people’s recommendations and we rarely go near, let alone land, on the boring worlds.

Out in the black, my experience has been the majority of Horizons worlds are boring and samey. Unsurprisingly the majority of Odyssey worlds are also quite samey and boring.

The problem comes, when you travel to favourite beauty spot only to find the new system has created a typically boring world.

IMO, the majority of worlds in EDO are marginally better as they have a more varied range of terrains, and the best are stunning. But there are definitely some sad losses from Horizons.

Top Bottom