What other games are we all playing?

Been looking for space RPGs or some roguelike but nothing convincing. There's a RPG on a colony ship gone derelict and ppl wake from stasis to figure out what happen - but it's early access. That was the only one I found interesting, but I ain't buying no story games in EA.

Got attacked by a zombie horde in Days gone last night as I was destroying some of their 'nests' in a small town. I destroyed the first nest then a few hundred angry zombies started leaping out of every house and sewer in the town looking to tear me to bits...pucker factor of 9.5 :eek:

Basically...it's a case of trying to run faster than the hundreds of angry zombies (who don't run out of stamina like you do), get on the bike if you're lucky enough to have parked it close enough and it's not pointed back toward the sprinting horde...then GTF.

qrXrcxv.jpg

Loving the customisable bikes parts...makes the bikes look a bit proper :)

nUeSf2C.png
How you like it? I heard is decent but bike needs refuel every 30 seconds and quests are fetchquests. The world was well crafted they say.

How you like it? I heard is decent but bike needs refuel every 30 seconds and quests are fetchquests. The world was well crafted they say.
The refuelling happens way too quickly and too often for my tastes too...although it does get a bit better when bigger fuel tanks become available from certain vendors as you progress. I can see why they did it that way though, fast travelling around the map has a fuel usage penalty so it almost forces... or rather... encourages exploration on foot or by actually riding there in real time looking for fuel and adventure along the way.

The quest system is basic RPG fare...fetch this, kill this, find that etc, but rather than seeming repetitive, it always manages to feel interesting and somehow different...or at least I'm finding it so. On the whole, Days Gone is a very impressive offering all together...decent story, memorable character acting with engaging gameplay in a thoroughly captivating gameworld throughout. It's fast propelled it's way to becoming one of my favourite games of the last few years as I'm playing my way through it.

As a biker, the riding mechanic is simply miles better and more intuitive than any action game I've tried so far that has motorbikes in it. To me it was as pleasing as RDR2's horse riding mechanic...looks right and feels just as good when playing it. The customisation options for your bike are what I would call 'bikers choice' stuff, all have real world looks and styling when added to the bike.

Whoever designed the bikes knows how real bikes (and bikers) look and work... down to the animation of your avatar pulling in the clutch and kicking the lever when changing gears even though there's no actual manual gears...The game designers have also captured the ethos of the 1% biker gang in looks and character design. The patches look right and are all in the right places on the leather and denim cut-offs, all those patches, especially the back patch and rockers, have a specific real world meaning and placement recognised universally and uniquely, by 'club' bikers the world over. The club patches aren't just decorative badges, they have to be earned...and the person wearing and displaying them has to have earned the right to do so...it's all done very well.

DdDJAqj.jpg

IzRFvK0.jpg

My one complaint is that switching from preset cinematic cutscenes to actual gameplay and back again is clumsy...or not as fluid as I would like having played RDR2 and marvelled how Rockstar does it. Perhaps it's a limitation of game design or the game engine itself, but it can be irritating when it does it several times in as many minutes as you play through some parts of the game :)

Last edited:
So Bathesda finally got off their butts and gave us a sneak peak update on Starfield. Due next fall 2022. OA did a good job covering this.

Getting a LOT of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back vibes so far. Spaceship and 1st POV game play looks similar to Obdisian's The Outer Worlds. And the game mechanics look like a mashup of Squardrons/ED with some NMS/X4 game play. Too early to tell atm. Game looks promising so far. But won't be preordering it. Been burned one too many times with TES & Fallout franchises.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kX-0pNDvE8

Last edited:
There is a new Men of War version out, but it's DLC for another game that is a janky contemporary/futuristic clone of Men of War. Anyway I watched the sales stream on Steam and the sounds captivated me, they are very good. And in good tradition the campaign is total tullips and just play the MP online or local vs bots.
Could use more maps. Most seem too hectic. I need one linear one where I do nothing but enjoy the ragdolls and explosions. What we got forces me to click too much around because the stupid AI orders stuff all about the map.

In between EDO exploration, I am currently replaying the Immortals: Fenyx Rising. Now that all the expansions are out, it rivals even games like The Witcher 3 in length.
And man, what a beautiful and fun game. It's basically one big cringy dad-joke of a game but done it such way that it never gets dull.
I guess the puzzles are an acquired taste for some, but as somebody who generally doesn't like puzzles in game I have to say they are done well. They can be hard in a "how am I going to do that?" sense, but NEVER in a "what the hell am I supposed to do" sense. Which is ideal, IMO - easy to understand, hard to execute, not the other way around.

Currently on New Game +1, getting my butt kicked by common mobs.

Mechwarrior 5, mostly. Bought it with mild expectations, which the game has exceeded. Was worried it was too simplified (less detailed outfitting and heat management mechanisms, for example) relative to earlier titles, but it's got plenty of tactical and strategic depth...and more of the latter than any prior incarnation. Story also wasn't as bad as I had been lead to believe (the setup is a bit sloppy and it certainly doesn't break any new ground, but it's interesting enough to pursue without being railroady) and lance AI was more manageable than I feared.

My main complaints are AI--which, while better than prior games in the series is still not good--and performance. Particle density is too high in some areas, LODs are a bit janky, and the TAA is excessive, so there are huge swings in frame rate, especially around smoke, or when zooming. Quality can be reduced, of course, but the general presets are bad and burn performance where it shouldn't need to. I'll probably fix that eventually once I get a better handle on the UE4 options and can write up my own config files...still annoying though. Ray tracing is also useless and I have a feeling the game has such heavy TAA to deliberately make DLSS look better than it otherwise would (it's blurry mess either way, so you may as well use DLSS if you can). A more minor complaint are the animation and sense of scale; some of them a bit too jerky, especially after applying movement upgrades to a mech, and this makes it hard to believe that one is in a 15m tall monstrosity.

I completed the main campaign the other day, but haven't tried the career mode or co-op play, yet.

Mechwarrior 5, mostly. Bought it with mild expectations, which the game has exceeded. Was worried it was too simplified (less detailed outfitting and heat management mechanisms, for example) relative to earlier titles, but it's got plenty of tactical and strategic depth...and more of the latter than any prior incarnation. Story also wasn't as bad as I had been lead to believe (the setup is a bit sloppy and it certainly doesn't break any new ground, but it's interesting enough to pursue without being railroady) and lance AI was more manageable than I feared.

My main complaints are AI--which, while better than prior games in the series is still not good--and performance. Particle density is too high in some areas, LODs are a bit janky, and the TAA is excessive, so there are huge swings in frame rate, especially around smoke, or when zooming. Quality can be reduced, of course, but the general presets are bad and burn performance where it shouldn't need to. I'll probably fix that eventually once I get a better handle on the UE4 options and can write up my own config files...still annoying though. Ray tracing is also useless and I have a feeling the game has such heavy TAA to deliberately make DLSS look better than it otherwise would (it's blurry mess either way, so you may as well use DLSS if you can). A more minor complaint are the animation and sense of scale; some of them a bit too jerky, especially after applying movement upgrades to a mech, and this makes it hard to believe that one is in a 15m tall monstrosity.

I completed the main campaign the other day, but haven't tried the career mode or co-op play, yet.
Nice! I've been watching this one (played the heck out of MW2 and MW4 back in the day... and also HBS Battletech (I still play that modded sometimes actually)). I've been kind of waiting though - figure I'll jump in when modders have fixed a few more things :)

Yea, I saw some complaints that 20 year old Mechwarrior game did the customisation better and held off.

Still looking for a space RPG. The one about the hibernation ship I put on the wishlist. For now it seems to cater to tryhard players and there seems to be but one meta to beat the unfair encounters. Maybe they make it more diverse and casul (from a difficulty curve).

I was suggested Cloudpunk as an option.

Nice! I've been watching this one (played the heck out of MW2 and MW4 back in the day... and also HBS Battletech (I still play that modded sometimes actually)). I've been kind of waiting though - figure I'll jump in when modders have fixed a few more things :)

I played a lot of MW2, MW4, and more recently MWLL (which I felt peaked around 0.6.x). MW5 is a worthy successor to the single-player games, but Piranha seems to want to keep the bulk of multiplayer content in MWO.

Haven't tried any mods for MW5 yet, but there are apparently quite a few, including some that expand the mech customization options. Honestly though, I'm liking the constraints. Maybe when I get bored of the vanilla game I'll mod it.

Yea, I saw some complaints that 20 year old Mechwarrior game did the customisation better and held off.

MW4 is still the gold standard for customization by a long shot...about as customizable as you can get without allowing some of the absurd combinations of equipment that were possible in MW2. That said, MW5 isn't that bad. You are mostly limited to swapping weapons, ammo, and heatsinks, as well as adjusting armor values. A few mechs have special slots for sensors or countermeasures. However, there are multiple grades to all the weapons and the selection is broad and fairly well-paced, which helps a Mercenaries game a lot.

Still looking for a space RPG. The one about the hibernation ship I put on the wishlist.

What's the title?

I played a lot of MW2, MW4, and more recently MWLL (which I felt peaked around 0.6.x). MW5 is a worthy successor to the single-player games, but Piranha seems to want to keep the bulk of multiplayer content in MWO.

Haven't tried any mods for MW5 yet, but there are apparently quite a few, including some that expand the mech customization options. Honestly though, I'm liking the constraints. Maybe when I get bored of the vanilla game I'll mod it.

MW4 is still the gold standard for customization by a long shot...about as customizable as you can get without allowing some of the absurd combinations of equipment that were possible in MW2. That said, MW5 isn't that bad. You are mostly limited to swapping weapons, ammo, and heatsinks, as well as adjusting armor values. A few mechs have special slots for sensors or countermeasures. However, there are multiple grades to all the weapons and the selection is broad and fairly well-paced, which helps a Mercenaries game a lot.

What's the title?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/648410/Colony_Ship_A_PostEarth_Role_Playing_Game/

I still have my disks for Mechwarrior Vengence, Black Knight, Mercenaries and the equipment/mech packs for Inner Sphere and Clan (I've wondered if those were worth anything - $$). I played those games to death. I went through each story at least twice and I played a heck of a lot of online.
Then there was silence for a few years until Mechwarrior Online came out. I still have an account there with some nice mechs (Atlas, Crab, etc.).
Wow, how I loved that game. So I'm also interested in MW5 and I can get it via gog. I recently revived my WoWs account but when I get tired of it again I may pick up the new MW5.
GL HF

I've found myself going back to Planetside 2 a lot lately, and (unsurprisingly) mostly flying fighters. The chaotic war environment does a lot to keep things interesting and always changing, and wrestling a nimble (but still limited) vehicle through & around terrain is always a hoot. The recent-ish Bastion update also does a pretty good job at promoting semi-regular massive dogfight furballs.

The current sale on Horizon: Zero Dawn is also grabbing my attention, I've had my eye on that one for a while...

I've found myself going back to Planetside 2 a lot lately, and (unsurprisingly) mostly flying fighters. The chaotic war environment does a lot to keep things interesting and always changing, and wrestling a nimble (but still limited) vehicle through & around terrain is always a hoot. The recent-ish Bastion update also does a pretty good job at promoting semi-regular massive dogfight furballs.
Ah PS2. What a game... Almost went back a couple months ago, but decided against it when it requested to install Battleye.

It's mad that it's still pretty much the only game in its genre.

Ah PS2. What a game... Almost went back a couple months ago, but decided against it when it requested to install Battleye.

It's mad that it's still pretty much the only game in its genre.
PSVR2 is supossed to be coming to PS5 next year. Fdev won't be invited to the party that's for sure.

Top Bottom