Development Update 1 - June

Deleted member 182079

D
I think FDev knew their game technology was not state of the art but, with Odyssey launch, they discovered that their technology was in fact not able to evolve properly without going through some parts overhaul.
Ah, got it now. I still think their biggest problem (long term) is lack of vision when it comes to game design. If I was them I would've played it safe in some respect by not going down the legs route, instead fleshing out existing content (such as planetary gameplay and fixing bugs like megaship looting, an entire gameplay loop rotting on the vine) and switching to a DLC model that covers vehicles (ships, SRVs, hovercraft and what not) to play in that improved sandbox in.

Hindsight 20/20 though I openly admit, as I had an open mind about Elite Feet, even though it wasn't ever something I particularly longed for. I think it was a mistake to go all-in on legs though; they should've kept Elite a vehicles and not a walking game.

Just what in heavens name have they been doing for three years though?? It's baffling!
They have a proprietary engine and this costs them a lot of time to upgrade that and get at least some features in, which commercial engines offer. With the upcoming version of unreal engine they will be nearly a decade behind and never be able to compete with modern space games. This is the price to pay using an own proprietary engine.

They have a proprietary engine and this costs them a lot of time to upgrade that and get at least some features in, which commercial engines offer. With the upcoming version of unreal engine they will be nearly a decade behind and never be able to compete with modern space games. This is the price to pay using an own proprietary engine.
It's really sad because I'm actually desperate for them to do well and be a success story but it's clear they are falling a long way behind now. It always irks me whenever i read about the COBRA engine because it's billed first and foremost as being a crossplay engine and as an xbox player for many years I've been cryin out for crossplay. So much for the engine showing off one of it's key features!

better upscaling methods
giphy-12.gif

Last edited:
It's really sad because I'm actually desperate for them to do well and be a success story but it's clear they are falling a long way behind now. It always irks me whenever i read about the COBRA engine because it's billed first and foremost as being a crossplay engine and as an xbox player for many years I've been cryin out for crossplay. So much for the engine showing off one of it's key features!
FDev as a company is not in trouble mid- and long-term - just ED is. They have otherwise niche markets, where they are doing well. Their focus is shifting, they back off from ED and focus on the new IPs - which is an F1 game and a Warhammer game and they will most likely improve their JWE2 game as well. Furthermore they go into the publisher market, which is a new source of revenue.

could well be, yes - like i said I don't try to bash on them at all. i just think they should be more vocal about that ED isn't progressing and be less patient and less loyal as well. FDev doesn't have to do much with players like this, because they will stick to the game no matter what, even when progress is made at a snail pace and isn't much at all.
What the heck are you talking about? I played those original games so I fall into your so-called elderly categor. I don’t think I could be much more vocal about my displeasure with ED’s direction. I don’t just hang around clinging to old feelings about Elite, I play other games like X4, Evochron Legacy, SC, NMS, Empyrion to get my space itch scratched. Mostly I spend time in more realistic sims like DCS, MSFS2020, IL2. Nothing turns me off more than mediocre, mindless game loops.

You do know what demographic FD were aiming for with this DLC right? It wasn’t my age group. It also wasn’t the FPS group as this DLC barely scratches the surface of what is available in that genre.

I have absolute nothing against elderly people - but it is a fact, that this game is played by a lot of people who played already Elite in the 20s century, who have some nostalgia about this game and are satisfied with a lot less than younger people will. Simply because younger people grew up with a lot more technology and have higher expectations than those older players. How could one otherwise be satisfied with Elite - it lacks in content in comparison with other space games and there isn't really a lot to do either. This might not be that obvious to those, who were already satisfied with that less content when they were much younger, but it is certainly obvious for younger people. And that is why this matters - Elite is carried by this age group, otherwise it might have been dead already. Nostalgia is what carries this game. But it can do this just for so long and then?
You do know it's a sandbox and simulator, don't you? There's plenty of "content" when you get into player groups.

What the heck are you talking about? I played those original games so I fall into your so-called elderly categor. I don’t think I could be much more vocal about my displeasure with ED’s direction. I don’t just hang around clinging to old feelings about Elite, I play other games like X4, Evochron Legacy, SC, NMS, Empyrion to get my space itch scratched. Mostly I spend time in more realistic sims like DCS, MSFS2020, IL2. Nothing turns me off more than mediocre, mindless game loops.

You do know what demographic FD were aiming for with this DLC right? It wasn’t my age group. It also wasn’t the FPS group as this DLC barely scratches the surface of what is available in that genre.
Yeah, generalization don't cover everyone of course - but in a whole we just have to look what people say about the game on the forum - and a lot defending it are of the age group who has played Elite in the 20s century already. They are much more easily satisfied with what FDev delivers than younger ones. As far as FPS goes, this is addressing generation Z, but it doesn't offer the features this age group expects - and it is by far too slow paced for this age group as well. Just to be clear, when referring to "generation ...", I'm as well using the definition by Merriam-Webster about those.

You do know it's a sandbox and simulator, don't you? There's plenty of "content" when you get into player groups.
From your point of view maybe - from my point of view there is not much to play at all. But i see it from the EVE perspective, where I have always something to do and have a hard time logging out - whereas in ED I have a hard time wanting to even stay in the game for longer than 2 hours, because it is so lackluster and repetitive.

Ah, got it now. I still think their biggest problem (long term) is lack of vision when it comes to game design. If I was them I would've played it safe in some respect by not going down the legs route, instead fleshing out existing content (such as planetary gameplay and fixing bugs like megaship looting, an entire gameplay loop rotting on the vine) and switching to a DLC model that covers vehicles (ships, SRVs, hovercraft and what not) to play in that improved sandbox in.

Hindsight 20/20 though I openly admit, as I had an open mind about Elite Feet, even though it wasn't ever something I particularly longed for. I think it was a mistake to go all-in on legs though; they should've kept Elite a vehicles and not a walking game.
The problem is that with the competition (not only NMS or SC but also Dual Universe or the future bomb powered by the Space Engine), it becomes unthinkable not to have leg.

Deleted member 182079

D
The problem is that with the competition (not only NMS or SC but also Dual Universe or the future bomb powered by the Space Engine), it becomes unthinkable not to have leg.
I have to disagree - I don't miss legs in various other games incl. sims either. And I believe that trying to keep with the Joneses is a fool's errand. Stick to what you're good at (flying space ships) and expand on that, instead of becoming yet another Jack of All Trades Master of None.

you might not like the official definition of merriam-websters but that is it - if you like it or not is irrelevant - I can address you as an elderly person if you are past middle age. This is not an insult, just a fact.
Indeed. Now look up common definitions of 'middle age' - here's the first one from google for a start:

Middle age is the period of age beyond young adulthood but before the onset of old age. Though the exact range is disputed, most sources place middle adulthood between the ages of 45-65.

Let's not forget here, your original point was that the players who played the original game are responsible for all the evils in terms of how it's been developed because they're old geezers who have such simple tastes in gaming that they just don't get these new fangled games that the kids are into these days.

I played the original Elite. I've just turned 50 - that's how old one needs to be to have been gaming back then and I can assure you that is not 'elderly' or 'past middle age'. That is damn insulting.

I have gamed constantly throughout the period between the release of the original Elite and today and amazingly enough, it does take a bit more to impress me these days than it did back in the 80s, on account of the fact my washing machine has more processing power than home computers did back then. This idea that we're a bunch of doddering old geezers who are happy with the kind of games that we played back when 8 bit computers were all the rage is nonsense. Don't confuse loud voices shouting at clouds on the forum with the wider player base of the game.

I have to disagree - I don't miss legs in various other games incl. sims either. And I believe that trying to keep with the Joneses is a fool's errand. Stick to what you're good at (flying space ships) and expand on that, instead of becoming yet another Jack of All Trades Master of None.
As far as EVE goes I would have to agree - I don't think this game will need legs, even they made an attempt with it as an FPS with dust 514, and it would have been a success even, if it wouldn't have been a playstation exclusive. But overall EVE is not about action on planets, it has several game spheres - there is power play on one side in alliance space, there is "normal" small scale pvp in lowsec and there is mostly commercial gameplay in highsec. And there are mission runners, who imo fail to see what EVE is all about. I see no necessity for legs in EVE - but it could well be done, because it has happened before with dust 514.

Last edited:
Indeed. Now look up common definitions of 'middle age' - here's the first one from google for a start:

Middle age is the period of age beyond young adulthood but before the onset of old age. Though the exact range is disputed, most sources place middle adulthood between the ages of 45-65.

Let's not forget here, your original point was that the players who played the original game are responsible for all the evils in terms of how it's been developed because they're old geezers who have such simple tastes in gaming that they just don't get these new fangled games that the kids are into these days.

I played the original Elite. I've just turned 50 - that's how old one needs to be to have been gaming back then and I can assure you that is not 'elderly' or 'past middle age'. That is damn insulting.

I have gamed constantly throughout the period between the release of the original Elite and today and amazingly enough, it does take a bit more to impress me these days than it did back in the 80s, on account of the fact my washing machine has more processing power than home computers did back then. This idea that we're a bunch of doddering old geezers who are happy with the kind of games that we played back when 8 bit computers were all the rage is nonsense. Don't confuse loud voices shouting at clouds on the forum with the wider player base of the game.
Let's just settle this now, Red - you don't feel old and 50 isn't old - even it is past midlife - given that male persons have a life expectancy of less than 82 years. So half of their life is gone when they pass the age of 41. They are still fit and so, but they are in the 2nd half of their lives. This shouldn't insult you in any way, it is just a fact - we don't live up to 130 years old, so to see 65 as still being middle aged is stretching it. Being in one's 40s is middle aged - just seen from life expectancy, it's realistic to see it this way.

You can disagree, but that's the reality. A SF game today can hardly justify being confined to ships or legs. Even a game like Warframe, which is basically a power fantasy fast paced third person horde shooter, a game for big angry nags, offer ship gameplay 🤷‍♂️

Let's just settle this now, Red - you don't feel old and 50 isn't old - even it is past midlife - given that male persons have a life expectancy of less than 82 years. So half of their life is gone when they pass the age of 41. They are still fit and so, but they are in the 2nd half of their lives. This shouldn't insult you in any way, it is just a fact - we don't live up to 130 years old, so to see 65 as still being middle aged is stretching it. Being in one's 40s is middle aged - just seen from life expectancy, it's realistic to see it this way.

I understand perfectly - definitions don't apply when they don't suit you. We'd already resolved it. Also, please stop telling me when I'm allowed to be insulted thanks - I thought that was one thing that younger people today had finally started to understand a little better than many of my generation do.

Top Bottom